need help n info on removing t5 trans - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
sick5point0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 6
need help n info on removing t5 trans

I'm removing my old t5 trans to install another t5 trans anyone have any pointers n best way to remove n install I'm doin it on my back
sick5point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: need help n info on removing t5 trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick5point0 View Post
I'm removing my old t5 trans to install another t5 trans anyone have any pointers n best way to remove n install I'm doin it on my back
1. If you don't already have one buy a Chiltons or Haynes manual. They will have procedures for removal and reinstallation.
2. You will have to lift and support the car high enough for the transmission to be removed and slid from beneath the car. Make sure the car is properly supported and blocked so it will not roll.

3. You really should have a floor jack to lift the car and to support the transmission during removal and reinstallation.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
stampde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manalapan
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,880
Re: need help n info on removing t5 trans

easy , done it at least 50 times ( on my back )
drain the trans ,unbolt and remove the shifter (usually 15mm bolts ) ,remove any electrical connectors and speedo cable , remove the driveshaft (12mm 12 point wrench or socket ) support the trans of coarse , unbolt trans mount from cross member ( 2 bolts ) unbolt long bolts were cross member bolts to the car ,leave them in , remove the 4 bolts that bolt the trans to the bell housing , now drop the cross member and remove the mount ... wrestle the trans out ,it weighs about 60 - 75 lbs .......
__________________
2011 GT Auto
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: need help n info on removing t5 trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
easy , done it at least 50 times ( on my back )
drain the trans ,unbolt and remove the shifter (usually 15mm bolts ) ,remove any electrical connectors and speedo cable , remove the driveshaft (12mm 12 point wrench or socket ) support the trans of coarse , unbolt trans mount from cross member ( 2 bolts ) unbolt long bolts were cross member bolts to the car ,leave them in , remove the 4 bolts that bolt the trans to the bell housing , now drop the cross member and remove the mount ... wrestle the trans out ,it weighs about 60 - 75 lbs .......
Thank you, good info.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
jacob.a.gasparp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 125
Ya its a pretty easy deal. Pry aren't supposed to do it the way I did but when i put it back up I just picked it up and threw it in. LOL but ya they are pretty easy to take down. Careful woot to round the bolts on the cross member to the transmission. My friend did that to mine using a standard it might be a metric bolt. Also have wd40.
jacob.a.gasparp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
I put a 2x4 under my oil pan an floor to support the engine... I dunno if you need it or not.... You have to have the car up pretty high so the bell housing clears the car when you pull it... An the engine has two Dow pins to align the bell housing to the engine... This can be a pain in the *** to get off.. Also there are two bolts on the engine side that bolt that plate " I don't know what it's called" but they need to be removed.. An there were 5 bolts to my trans/ engine... Just make sure every bolt is out before you start prying on it...

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

An remember clutch dust contains asbestos (if you have a stick )
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
I put a 2x4 under my oil pan an floor to support the engine... I dunno if you need it or not.... You have to have the car up pretty high so the bell housing clears the car when you pull it... An the engine has two Dow pins to align the bell housing to the engine... This can be a pain in the *** to get off.. Also there are two bolts on the engine side that bolt that plate " I don't know what it's called" but they need to be removed.. An there were 5 bolts to my trans/ engine... Just make sure every bolt is out before you start prying on it...

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

An remember clutch dust contains asbestos (if you have a stick )
Good pointer on the clutch dust.I never really thought about that.

I'm not sure that you need to support the engine.at least I never have with good results.

And also he is changing a manual so I'm pretty sure he should be able to leave the bell housing on and just remove the trans.the he won't have to mess with the starter.

I usually support the trans with a jack to just get the bolts out.then when I am ready I get a good grip on it and then have a friend pull the Jack out.now depending on what exhaust mid pipe you have.on my h pipe I am able to pull the trans back and rest the tail shaft on the cross pipe,then put the front of the trans on my chest.then I slide the trans toward the front of the car off my chest.that technique works best for me.

One more thing.most people might not do this but IMO it is easier.I fill the transmission fluid when I have the trans out of the car.then I use a plastic baggy and tape it around the tailshaft very good so it don't spill.I have had good reliefs doing this.but you do have to be a hair more careful not to tip the trans a whole lot so you don't loose a bunch of fluid.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
captain78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 851
Or you can get a transmission tailshaft plug like i did. I got mine for like 5-10 bucks from autozone
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Or you can get a transmission tailshaft plug like i did. I got mine for like 5-10 bucks from autozone
well the baggy was free.haha j/k. honestly that is a good idea cause i wasnt aware it was so esialy and cheaply accesable.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
thomas91gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 67
I have always filled it after i put it in through the top where the shifter attaches
thomas91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help/information asap!!! jacob.a.gasparp 1979-1995 Mustang GT 9 03-20-2012 11:16 PM
Fuel system help Swangin_Stangs 1979-1995 Mustang GT 4 03-16-2012 03:14 AM
02 transmission help Nate98stang 1996-2004 Mustang GT 28 03-16-2012 12:28 AM
Oil pan gasket need replaced? DaYanks4Ev Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 7 03-15-2012 10:47 PM
I need a 4.6 motor trans and wiring harness Hdavis013 1996-2004 Mustang GT 0 03-15-2012 09:39 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:28 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.