need help n info on removing t5 trans - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #1

Region: New Jersey
need help n info on removing t5 trans

I'm removing my old t5 trans to install another t5 trans anyone have any pointers n best way to remove n install I'm doin it on my back
sick5point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: need help n info on removing t5 trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick5point0 View Post
I'm removing my old t5 trans to install another t5 trans anyone have any pointers n best way to remove n install I'm doin it on my back
1. If you don't already have one buy a Chiltons or Haynes manual. They will have procedures for removal and reinstallation.
2. You will have to lift and support the car high enough for the transmission to be removed and slid from beneath the car. Make sure the car is properly supported and blocked so it will not roll.

3. You really should have a floor jack to lift the car and to support the transmission during removal and reinstallation.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

easy , done it at least 50 times ( on my back )
drain the trans ,unbolt and remove the shifter (usually 15mm bolts ) ,remove any electrical connectors and speedo cable , remove the driveshaft (12mm 12 point wrench or socket ) support the trans of coarse , unbolt trans mount from cross member ( 2 bolts ) unbolt long bolts were cross member bolts to the car ,leave them in , remove the 4 bolts that bolt the trans to the bell housing , now drop the cross member and remove the mount ... wrestle the trans out ,it weighs about 60 - 75 lbs .......
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
easy , done it at least 50 times ( on my back )
drain the trans ,unbolt and remove the shifter (usually 15mm bolts ) ,remove any electrical connectors and speedo cable , remove the driveshaft (12mm 12 point wrench or socket ) support the trans of coarse , unbolt trans mount from cross member ( 2 bolts ) unbolt long bolts were cross member bolts to the car ,leave them in , remove the 4 bolts that bolt the trans to the bell housing , now drop the cross member and remove the mount ... wrestle the trans out ,it weighs about 60 - 75 lbs .......
Thank you, good info.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Ya its a pretty easy deal. Pry aren't supposed to do it the way I did but when i put it back up I just picked it up and threw it in. LOL but ya they are pretty easy to take down. Careful woot to round the bolts on the cross member to the transmission. My friend did that to mine using a standard it might be a metric bolt. Also have wd40.
jacob.a.gasparp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I put a 2x4 under my oil pan an floor to support the engine... I dunno if you need it or not.... You have to have the car up pretty high so the bell housing clears the car when you pull it... An the engine has two Dow pins to align the bell housing to the engine... This can be a pain in the *** to get off.. Also there are two bolts on the engine side that bolt that plate " I don't know what it's called" but they need to be removed.. An there were 5 bolts to my trans/ engine... Just make sure every bolt is out before you start prying on it...

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

An remember clutch dust contains asbestos (if you have a stick )
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
I put a 2x4 under my oil pan an floor to support the engine... I dunno if you need it or not.... You have to have the car up pretty high so the bell housing clears the car when you pull it... An the engine has two Dow pins to align the bell housing to the engine... This can be a pain in the *** to get off.. Also there are two bolts on the engine side that bolt that plate " I don't know what it's called" but they need to be removed.. An there were 5 bolts to my trans/ engine... Just make sure every bolt is out before you start prying on it...

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

An remember clutch dust contains asbestos (if you have a stick )
Good pointer on the clutch dust.I never really thought about that.

I'm not sure that you need to support the engine.at least I never have with good results.

And also he is changing a manual so I'm pretty sure he should be able to leave the bell housing on and just remove the trans.the he won't have to mess with the starter.

I usually support the trans with a jack to just get the bolts out.then when I am ready I get a good grip on it and then have a friend pull the Jack out.now depending on what exhaust mid pipe you have.on my h pipe I am able to pull the trans back and rest the tail shaft on the cross pipe,then put the front of the trans on my chest.then I slide the trans toward the front of the car off my chest.that technique works best for me.

One more thing.most people might not do this but IMO it is easier.I fill the transmission fluid when I have the trans out of the car.then I use a plastic baggy and tape it around the tailshaft very good so it don't spill.I have had good reliefs doing this.but you do have to be a hair more careful not to tip the trans a whole lot so you don't loose a bunch of fluid.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Or you can get a transmission tailshaft plug like i did. I got mine for like 5-10 bucks from autozone
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Or you can get a transmission tailshaft plug like i did. I got mine for like 5-10 bucks from autozone
well the baggy was free.haha j/k. honestly that is a good idea cause i wasnt aware it was so esialy and cheaply accesable.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have always filled it after i put it in through the top where the shifter attaches
thomas91gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT