Upper/lower control arms - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Upper/lower control arms

Any tips or anything for installing my upper an lower SVE control arms? I'm doing it tomorrow at my work on a lift (thank god) they don't look too bad to do just curious if anyone's ever ran into problems installing
jwhayne0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Upper/lower control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayne0001 View Post
Any tips or anything for installing my upper an lower SVE control arms? I'm doing it tomorrow at my work on a lift (thank god) they don't look too bad to do just curious if anyone's ever ran into problems installing
Not really, just start spraying the old bolts with penetrating oil today.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Had I seen this yesterday, I'd have added, be prepared for some serious pushing and tightly spaced bolt areas on the body side of the lowers. I would also have suggested, while you're doing this job, to reenforce your torque boxes.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by All41 View Post
Had I seen this yesterday, I'd have added, be prepared for some serious pushing and tightly spaced bolt areas on the body side of the lowers. I would also have suggested, while you're doing this job, to reenforce your torque boxes.
that is an understatement, it was a major pain my @ss today took me, and my shop foreman to get that crap in, and they gave me the wrong bolts they were 1/2" too short and overall not satisfied with the SVE arms at all, little firmer ride but not worth the hassle
Old 03-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
that is an understatement, it was a major pain my @ss today took me, and my shop foreman to get that crap in, and they gave me the wrong bolts they were 1/2" too short and overall not satisfied with the SVE arms at all, little firmer ride but not worth the hassle
I wouldn't have thought they would be any harder than the ones on my 86 or my daughter's 89 convertible, but then I read your post again and saw that you did it on a lift.

I had the car body lifted and supported and used the floor jack to lift the rearend up and down. With that variable I didn't have any trouble whatsoever.
Sorry, I didn't think to pass that on to you.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had a similar issue with UPR, specifically rear lowers(at the body) and the K-member. Bolts weren't even close to correct. I physically took a bolt that works to their Lakeworth, FL shop and told Joe myself, this is going to be a problem for people if you don't change this out. He told me he didn't care if someone had to get new bolts and that he would rather not supply them at all. That must've been over 10yrs ago. I guess he really didn't care!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by All41 View Post
I had a similar issue with UPR, specifically rear lowers(at the body) and the K-member. Bolts weren't even close to correct. I physically took a bolt that works to their Lakeworth, FL shop and told Joe myself, this is going to be a problem for people if you don't change this out. He told me he didn't care if someone had to get new bolts and that he would rather not supply them at all. That must've been over 10yrs ago. I guess he really didn't care!
Everything I have heard/read about UPR points to him being a slimeball.
Thankfully, I never have and never will buy anything from them.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I wouldn't have thought they would be any harder than the ones on my 86 or my daughter's 89 convertible, but then I read your post again and saw that you did it on a lift.

I had the car body lifted and supported and used the floor jack to lift the rearend up and down. With that variable I didn't have any trouble whatsoever.
Sorry, I didn't think to pass that on to you.
I had a tall tranny jack under the pumpkin but it's done and I can now enjoy some nice cold beverages!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I had a tall tranny jack under the pumpkin but it's done and I can now enjoy some nice cold beverages!
That's the spirit!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I didn't have a problem with my upr control arms they were a great addition to my car. But for doing them I did my control arms in a couple ours on the ground I would suggest using air tools if available
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Everything I have heard/read about UPR points to him being a slimeball.
Thankfully, I never have and never will buy anything from them.
That's pretty much the case. I've known him for more than 20yrs and he was a great kid, from the looks. Then I saw him hit his dad one day and that was all I needed to know. It goes on and on, truth be told. I could tell you stories about him that would blow your mind.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue View Post
I didn't have a problem with my upr control arms they were a great addition to my car. But for doing them I did my control arms in a couple ours on the ground I would suggest using air tools if available
The parts worked, but little things piss people off quickly. Did yours come with bolts? My K-member had to be cut because it didn't align with the engine mounts. I got a rear upper from him, missing a heim joint. Suffice to say, there are reasons Joe quit going to races with his crew and they weren't only because he got rich. He made several enemies along the way, none larger than Wolfe Racecraft, I suspect. I know him well and don't like him anymore. It took awhile before I realized what he was doing wasn't just mistakes he didn't mean to make.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by All41
That's pretty much the case. I've known him for more than 20yrs and he was a great kid, from the looks. Then I saw him hit his dad one day and that was all I needed to know. It goes on and on, truth be told. I could tell you stories about him that would blow your mind.

The parts worked, but little things piss people off quickly. Did yours come with bolts? My K-member had to be cut because it didn't align with the engine mounts. I got a rear upper from him, missing a heim joint. Suffice to say, there are reasons Joe quit going to races with his crew and they weren't only because he got rich. He made several enemies along the way, none larger than Wolfe Racecraft, I suspect. I know him well and don't like him anymore. It took awhile before I realized what he was doing wasn't just mistakes he didn't mean to make.
Yeah it came with bolts that were too short and with a car rear end completely tore out minus brake lines I was screwed it really pissed me off since I emailed them and they replied all I'd need is the tools and time
Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I just installed some of the SVE control arms last week in m 86. Didn't have any issues with my. Though, I will say it was easier on the ground with a jack. Only problem I ran into was fitting the arms into the "pockets" on the body, and that wasn't really a problem, just how they fit because of the design of the suspension. Glad you got them.

Mine came with 2 sets of bolts and sleeves, I'm guessing one for fox bodies and one for new edges.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80
I just installed some of the SVE control arms last week in m 86. Didn't have any issues with my. Though, I will say it was easier on the ground with a jack. Only problem I ran into was fitting the arms into the "pockets" on the body, and that wasn't really a problem, just how they fit because of the design of the suspension. Glad you got them.

Mine came with 2 sets of bolts and sleeves, I'm guessing one for fox bodies and one for new edges.
The extra sleeves and bolts are for 99-04 cars I used 4 of the supplied 4" bolts for the uppers and needed 4 4.5" bolts for the lowers which I got at home depot
Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I didn't even measure mine, they were all the same length and worked for mine. Wonder if there is a different between my fox and your 94-98, or I got lucky. Do you notice any extra road noise after installing yours?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No extra noise a bit stiffer and more confident feeling in launches and corners
Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I hope your torque boxes are welded up! Also, you did re-check and set the pinion angle, right? Idonno why, but sometimes people don't, even when they're pulling all the parts that hold the rear in place and swapping for what amounts to totally different parts.

Not having the pinion angle correct can lead to noise. Other than that, I don't think much should be heard. Then again, mine may have been screaming at me and I never heard it over the exhaust.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by All41
I hope your torque boxes are welded up! Also, you did re-check and set the pinion angle, right? Idonno why, but sometimes people don't, even when they're pulling all the parts that hold the rear in place and swapping for what amounts to totally different parts.

Not having the pinion angle correct can lead to noise. Other than that, I don't think much should be heard. Then again, mine may have been screaming at me and I never heard it over the exhaust.
Uppers are not adjustable so pinion angle can't be set, and no the boxes weren't welded, I'm not making an extreme amount of power, and I do plan on lower reinforcements sometime after I do my oil pan and brake line replacements seeing as how they are rusted pretty badly
Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Uppers are not adjustable so pinion angle can't be set, and no the boxes weren't welded, I'm not making an extreme amount of power, and I do plan on lower reinforcements sometime after I do my oil pan and brake line replacements seeing as how they are rusted pretty badly
Non adjustable uppers? Hmmm... Mine were double adjustable. Didn't consider others(except stock) not being adjustable. My bad.

I waited on the box reinforcements, right till the "BANG!" Then I had a roll bar done.

Not much rust here... Florida. I lived in ne Ohio for 10yrs, so I feel for those dealing with rust. Just a little though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT