Engine Miss - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
I have a very bad miss, i even think I might be firing on 4... I will be pulling my plugs tomorrow to see if I can find any indication of no fire..... But where so I start to problem solve this issue??
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Engine Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
I have a very bad miss, i even think I might be firing on 4... I will be pulling my plugs tomorrow to see if I can find any indication of no fire..... But where so I start to problem solve this issue??
Verify that you have fire to each plug and that the wires are not crossfiring to each other.
When the plug wire insulation starts to break down the wire can start to leak energy.
The easiest way to see this is to start it up in the dark and look for flashes or a corona around the plug wires.
The hard way is to feel for it if you can stand the pain.


Once you have verified that your ignition system is working, then start checking your fuel system.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Verify that you have fire to each plug and that the wires are not crossfiring to each other.
When the plug wire insulation starts to break down the wire can start to leak energy.
The easiest way to see this is to start it up in the dark and look for flashes or a corona around the plug wires.
The hard way is to feel for it if you can stand the pain.

Once you have verified that your ignition system is working, then start checking your fuel system.
Corona? Is this a typo? If not please explain
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3271563169.png
Views:	275
Size:	810.1 KB
ID:	44111

Doesn't that look a little lean?
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Engine Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Corona? Is this a typo? If not please explain
Corona = Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Attachment 44111

Doesn't that look a little lean?

Actually it looks fairly normal.
Lean would be white and you'd possibly have blister like spots on the insulator and ground strap.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
I think new wires wouldn't hurt

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3811336568.png
Views:	302
Size:	821.5 KB
ID:	44112
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Corona = Glow

Actually it looks fairly normal.
Lean would be white and you'd possibly have blister like spots on the insulator and ground strap.
I'm going get new wires and plugs. It can't hurt... Btw the miss is around 1500-3000 rpms..... After 3 it actually runs pretty good.... :/
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Engine Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
I think new wires wouldn't hurt

Attachment 44112
Whoa! There's at least part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
I'm going get new wires and plugs. It can't hurt... Btw the miss is around 1500-3000 rpms..... After 3 it actually runs pretty good.... :/
Good idea, It'll run better when it isn't leaking voltage.


It may clear up a bit at higher RPMs as the ignition pulses are coming a lot faster and more voltage is able to get past the bad spot to the plug.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
Well I fixed the miss... It's not near as bad as it was, but I found a deeper secret about my engine....
One of my plugs has oil on it... I'm 95% sure it's the valves leaking a little bc I never see it smoke.... (sigh)
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Engine Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Well I fixed the miss... It's not near as bad as it was, but I found a deeper secret about my engine....
One of my plugs has oil on it... I'm 95% sure it's the valves leaking a little bc I never see it smoke.... (sigh)
Could very well be the valve guide seals.
They get hardened and brittle over the years, eventually breaking apart.
Someone driving behind you might see a puff of smoke when you accelerate hard.
That's an indication that the seals have failed.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Could very well be the valve guide seals.
They get hardened and brittle over the years, eventually breaking apart.
Someone driving behind you might see a puff of smoke when you accelerate hard.
That's an indication that the seals have failed.
If I ran it like it is till the mid. Summer you think it would be a problem?
I plan on having my new motor by then.... An I check the oil often.....
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Engine Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
If I ran it like it is till the mid. Summer you think it would be a problem?
I plan on having my new motor by then.... An I check the oil often.....
I don't think so. You'll just lose a bit of oil and since you check it frequently you should be ok.
The one problem that may occur depending on how much oil goes through it, is contamination of the O2 sensors.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I don't think so. You'll just lose a bit of oil and since you check it frequently you should be ok.
The one problem that may occur depending on how much oil goes through it, is contamination of the O2 sensors.
Man your good... When I did my exhaust (just recently) I changed them both... I didn't look at em.. Just left them in bc I new they were old...
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Engine Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Man your good... When I did my exhaust (just recently) I changed them both... I didn't look at em.. Just left them in bc I new they were old...
Thanks I try.


Just be aware and keep an eye on it and if you notice the engine heating up a bit (lean) or you smell raw fuel (rich) you might check them out.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
I forgot to tell my story yesterday...
So after I Did my spark plugs an wires, I took her round town.... So I'm on my way back to my house an decide to pass up my road an hit a straight away... Well I did one pass an turned around... Then my car died... I checked under the hood an everything seemed good, so I figured it was my fuel filter... After the tow home an a Lil inspection... I was outta gas lol
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Haha. You got bit by the MT bug.gets the bests of us.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Haha. You got bit by the MT bug.gets the bests of us.
Lol.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
check engine light 2002Gt 1996-2004 Mustang GT 48 03-31-2012 08:11 PM
MAC ProChamber & V6 Engine robb15033 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 8 03-25-2012 12:55 AM
Need help! My stang has a miss! Fatboy scott 1996-2004 Mustang GT 7 03-20-2012 07:24 PM
Engine shaking at start up 813floridaracin Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 5 03-14-2012 09:54 PM
Engine shops? WhiteCobra94 1979-1995 Mustang GT 10 03-13-2012 03:59 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:20 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.