Starting problem- I'm baffled - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
jhagan1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 648
Starting problem- I'm baffled

Went to start my car a few weeks ago after driving for about 10mins. I tried to start it and nothing happened and when I say nothing I mean no lights, gauges, and no click. Turned off the ignition and then a series of clicks began from my dash between the door and my steering wheel. Dad took me home and I got my old battery and put it in and it fired right up. So afterward I have put new battery, ignition lock(mine was busted), and a pa performance starter. Thought the problem was fixed but it just did it again 30 mins ago. Undid both sides of the battery and waited 30secs-1 and hooked back up. Needless to say it fired right up. What in the wide world of sports could be causing this? Computer?
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Sounds to me like your cables are bad.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
jhagan1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 648
I put new cable ends on but they are the compression type that you screw on
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Starting problem- I'm baffled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980 View Post
Went to start my car a few weeks ago after driving for about 10mins. I tried to start it and nothing happened and when I say nothing I mean no lights, gauges, and no click. Turned off the ignition and then a series of clicks began from my dash between the door and my steering wheel. Dad took me home and I got my old battery and put it in and it fired right up. So afterward I have put new battery, ignition lock(mine was busted), and a pa performance starter. Thought the problem was fixed but it just did it again 30 mins ago. Undid both sides of the battery and waited 30secs-1 and hooked back up. Needless to say it fired right up. What in the wide world of sports could be causing this? Computer?
Sounds like a problem with some type of power relay under the dash.
Time to drag out the diagrams and start tracing the system from the key switch out.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
jhagan1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Sounds like a problem with some type of power relay under the dash.
Time to drag out the diagrams and start tracing the system from the key switch out.
Not real good at that
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Starting problem- I'm baffled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980 View Post
Not real good at that
Ok, I ran through a couple of diagrams I have and I didn't see any power relays in the ignition/starting system under the dash.
Are you sure the clicks didn't come from under the hood?
A starter solenoid will do that when it is getting low voltage.


More than likely dreamstang is correct and you have some bad cables.
Those screw on ends are known for bad connection problems.
Replace the cables with new HD cables or fab your own with some welding cable and solder on brass ends.
I'd completely replace the cables you have instead of trying to put different or new ends on them as the wire can get corroded inside them over time and reduce their current carrying capacity. Then you can be sure they are not the culprit.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
jhagan1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 648
Could bad cables cause it to do absolutely nothing?
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
If you lost connection then yes.

you could wiggle the cables around while someone else tryed to start is.but that way won't tell you for sure.especially if it was not contacting when it ran last and let the battery drain.the best thing would be to do as Trojan suggests and change them.but like a said wiggling the cables may help verify but not for sure.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Starting problem- I'm baffled

Definitely could cause it to do absolutely nothing.I replaced my cables like I said above with 1/0 welding cable (the wires are finer and it carries more current) and soldered on brass battery cable ends.
I have never had any further problems with them.


The 1/0 cable may be a bit of overkill, but I wanted to be sure that I have plenty of juice to all of my components, especially when I add the electric fan, water pump, MSD ignition, AFM PMS and any other electrical accessories.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Camo1967Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,130
Almost sounds like the problem I had a few days ago
There r 4 relays under the dash behind the fuse panel
My car didn't start n I heard clicking from under the steering wheel
Try changing one of them
__________________

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
jhagan1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Ok, I ran through a couple of diagrams I have and I didn't see any power relays in the ignition/starting system under the dash.
Are you sure the clicks didn't come from under the hood?
A starter solenoid will do that when it is getting low voltage.

More than likely dreamstang is correct and you have some bad cables.
Those screw on ends are known for bad connection problems.
Replace the cables with new HD cables or fab your own with some welding cable and solder on brass ends.
I'd completely replace the cables you have instead of trying to put different or new ends on them as the wire can get corroded inside them over time and reduce their current carrying capacity. Then you can be sure they are not the culprit.
The starter solenoid is out of the question right seeing how I just put a new starter in? Could the ignition switch cause this? I know it controls a lot of the electrical circuits.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Starting problem- I'm baffled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980 View Post
The starter solenoid is out of the question right seeing how I just put a new starter in? Could the ignition switch cause this? I know it controls a lot of the electrical circuits.
Yes it could.
The solenoid will still click like that with low voltage even if it is new.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
clark98gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 80
Re: Starting problem- I'm baffled

My 84 had the same problem. I could drive it all day starting it up and everything then out of the blue you would turn the key and it would click once and all of the lights and everything would go out stone dead. Mine turned out to be a crappy ground. Just retrace your ground from your battery and the one from the block to the body and make sure they look good and secure.
__________________
1998 Gt- current progress
Engine back in car some reassembly required
clark98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
jhagan1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes it could.
The solenoid will still click like that with low voltage even if it is new.
It did it once before new starter and has done it once after new starter.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark98gt
My 84 had the same problem. I could drive it all day starting it up and everything then out of the blue you would turn the key and it would click once and all of the lights and everything would go out stone dead. Mine turned out to be a crappy ground. Just retrace your ground from your battery and the one from the block to the body and make sure they look good and secure.
That is gonna be my next job. I did undo what I believe was a ground from the firewall to the hood when I got my cobra r hood because it had nowhere to attach it.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
clark98gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 80
Re: Starting problem- I'm baffled

I dont think the ground to the hood would be an issue. Its the other ones that would cause issues.
__________________
1998 Gt- current progress
Engine back in car some reassembly required
clark98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
jhagan1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark98gt
I dont think the ground to the hood would be an issue. Its the other ones that would cause issues.
Figured but I thought I'd say it just incase.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
the grounds you should check are battery to engine,and battery to chassis.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
jhagan1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
the grounds you should check are battery to engine,and battery to chassis.
I've never changed cables before but I'm guessing if I change out the cables then I'll mess with the ground connections right?
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
just make sure when you change the ground cable( the battery -) just make sure that where you bolt it is clean and free of paint and you should be ok.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
jhagan1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 648
Thanks for all the help guys.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
no problem.hopefully that fixxes it.if not on to the next solution.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Starting problem- I'm baffled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980 View Post
I've never changed cables before but I'm guessing if I change out the cables then I'll mess with the ground connections right?
Not all of them.
I would add (if you don't already have them) a ground from the engine to the firewall and to the front frame rail to ensure you have good grounds for your ECU and any other interior components grounded to the body or frame.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rev from idle problem CoyoteXII 2011-2014 Mustang GT 11 03-27-2012 08:50 PM
Big Problem Camo1967Mustang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 18 03-24-2012 12:01 AM
CD player problem StackeStang 1996-2004 Mustang GT 7 03-17-2012 09:48 PM
MIL eliminators problem 01mustang01 1996-2004 Mustang GT 9 03-16-2012 10:33 PM
Problem? :( 2Greeny7 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 11 03-15-2012 08:26 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:01 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.