On3 Turbo on 91 5.0 - follow up to 91 5.0 mostly stock thread - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Illinois
On3 Turbo on 91 5.0 - follow up to 91 5.0 mostly stock thread

Please see my other thread "91 5.0 mostly stock" for my project. Here I want to post parts I used/didn't use and "my" opinion on the kit.

I bought the standard On3 Turbo kit for the 5.0 with the 70MM On3 Turbo. I did not upgrade due to Mike at On3 having 27,000 miles on his shop mustang with this exact turbo.

A few things to be prepared for with taking on a project like this:
-budget more than you need
-find someone to help you(more hands the better)
-be patient

A few things to consider with the kit:
-inspect the contents upon arrival to ensure as little delay as possible for installation
-keep in contact with Mike at On3. He is very helpful.
-I bought everything they had for my car. You only need the y pipe if you want to keep your cat back. I went with single 3 inch and a single Flowmaster. So buy the y pipe only if you are sure. You can always buy it later. I bought the "generic" chip for my computer. Sorry On3, guys don't bother getting the chip. I ended up having to have the car tuned and most shops use a name brand SCT or other popular name chip. They cannot and will not use the chip from On3. Save yourself the couple hundred bucks.
-Be prepared to make brackets for the intercooler. There is not a standard bracket. I went to Home Depot and just bought a pice of aluminum. It was very easy.
-just remove the nose of your car, radiator fan shroud and overflow antifreeze tank
Change your head gaskets if they are original!!! You do not need $200 MLS gaskets. Mike Post of DynoTune MP put Fel Pro 9333 pt1($50) gaskets on my. They are pretty much a stock gasket. He says that these gaskets will handle more HP than my block is even capable of if the engine is tuned properly.
-Definitely replace the gas filler tube grommet on the gas tank. I did not and now have to drop the tank this week to do it. It just didn't occur to me at the time. It's only $20 bucks.
-use stock under drive pulleys or your car may get too hot.
-you do not need to buy the oil filter relocation kit for the Fox Body. In the instruction they give you a smaller oil filter you can use instead. I did that and mine works fine.
- a 3.73 gear is toooooo short. I would stay in the low 3's maybe 3.23, 3.27 or whatever the typical 3.2something gear would be. I have a 3.73 and although my car rockets off the line it does not put enough load on the turbo so I am switching to a lower gear. You should too.
-Centerforce Dual friction clutch is the best thing since sliced bread! Get one!
-if you have a twenty plus year old radiator, starter, power steering pump, AC condenser replace them all while your at it.
-Autometer ultra lite boost gauge looks very nice in the a pillar pod.
-consult someone who knows about vacuum lines because you don't need a few of them after doing this installation.
-get the correct spark plugs for your application
-test all of your "new" injectors

I did get a bad turbo just so you guys know. I'm not complaining Mike at On3 overnighted a new one to me no questions asked. My original turbo had a extremely slight shaft alignment issue which made a squeaking noise that annoyed me. Not to worry they took care of me immediately.

Now my car is a 91 with 89,xxx miles on it. The engine was bone stock. I have the fuel upgrades that On3 sells(42lb injectors,fuel pump) plus I bought a new stock fuel regulator. My car made 294RWHP and 407ft lbs of torque @ 8.6lbs of boost(blue and yellow springs). Please keep in mind that my motor is completely stock. If you have an aftermarket upper and lower intake that could make a 50hp difference for all I know.

I just got back from a drive and my car is awesome! It pulls strong all the way through fifth gear. It will roast the tires pretty much any time I want to. Some of you may be thinking that's not that much power/torque. Those of you considering this kit, just buy it. 300HP in a Nissan Maxima is not the same as 300HP in a fox body. Fox is much faster. You also have to consider the torque. You will have enough torque/hp to be a block down the street while the civic or scion that was taunting you is trying to figure out what just happened. Trust me!

As I said earlier I went with a single three inch exhaust with a one chamber Flowmaster 3inch inlet/2.5 inch outlet with dump. So far I like this setup and it didn't require the $180 y pipe. The car is pretty loud when driving but your not on the gas it's quiet. i like the sneaky factor. I also bought the Cobra style wheels from the 90's with Nitto tires from Late Model Restoration, they are very nice and help keep the stock look of my car.

BTW-If you need the fuel mods plan on spending around $3000 for this build.

Good luck guys!

JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
very nice write up! this could be a nice tool to read for anyone considering the kit.i see alot of people asking about it.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Re: On3 Turbo on 91 5.0 - follow up to 91 5.0 mostly stock thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
very nice write up! this could be a nice tool to read for anyone considering the kit.i see alot of people asking about it.
Feel free to post it to your library if you'd like. i will be happy to answer any questions anyone ma have. I've been through the ringer, I had the good and the bad. I can't stress enough to people that they need to get their car tuned immediately after the build. No generic chip should be used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz View Post
Please see my other thread "91 5.0 mostly stock" for my project. Here I want to post parts I used/didn't use and "my" opinion on the kit.
Nice write up.

Quote:
-Be prepared to make brackets for the intercooler. There is not a standard bracket. I went to Home Depot and just bought a pice of aluminum.
Are you planning to keep an eye on this or are you relatively convinced it's going to hold? Aluminum tends to tear, so I was wondering.

Quote:
Change your head gaskets if they are original!!! You do not need $200 MLS gaskets. Mike Post of DynoTune MP put Fel Pro 9333 pt1($50) gaskets on my. They are pretty much a stock gasket. He says that these gaskets will handle more HP than my block is even capable of if the engine is tuned properly.
YUP! I know people love Cometic, but I've used 9333's for... gosh, can't even remember how long. My last build didn't get them, but I O-ringed the block on that one. Everything before that which wasn't "wired" was a 9333 since the early-mid 90's. They're "high performance" to a degree. However, these are found on the shelves of many auto parts stores. They're about $20 apiece and worth every penny. They just work.

Quote:
- a 3.73 gear is toooooo short. I would stay in the low 3's maybe 3.23, 3.27 or whatever the typical 3.2something gear would be. I have a 3.73 and although my car rockets off the line it does not put enough load on the turbo so I am switching to a lower gear. You should too.
Ya mean, numerically lower, right? You want a higher actual ratio. I'd seriously consider 3.55's, and maybe 3.31's, but nothing higher. Remember, you still have factory heads. Did Mike recommend high gears? If he did, screw what I said...
Quote:
-Centerforce
-if you have a twenty plus year old radiator, starter, power steering pump, AC condenser replace them all while your at it.
-Autometer
-consult someone who knows about vacuum lines because you don't need a few of them after doing this installation.
All good, except checking new injectors. They're SUPPOSED to be tested prior to leaving the build site! That problem should've been caught and repaired before On3 got them.

Quote:
I did get a bad turbo just so you guys know. I'm not complaining Mike at On3 overnighted a new one to me no questions asked. My original turbo had a extremely slight shaft alignment issue which made a squeaking noise that annoyed me. Not to worry they took care of me immediately.
BIG points for them! KUDOS On3!

Quote:
Now my car is a 91 with 89,xxx miles on it. The engine was bone stock. I have the fuel upgrades that On3 sells(42lb injectors,fuel pump) plus I bought a new stock fuel regulator. My car made 294RWHP and 407ft lbs of torque @ 8.6lbs of boost(blue and yellow springs). Please keep in mind that my motor is completely stock. If you have an aftermarket upper and lower intake that could make a 50hp difference for all I know.
Did you use a stock engine? I'm glad to see the stock regulator replacement. Many people don't realize that it works, and go for some fancy adjustable. Are you SURE the car only has 89,xxx miles?? Hard to imagine! I put over 220,000 on my 91 and haven't driven it 1" since 2002...

Finally, you mentioned a possible increase with an intake swap. In this case, I don't think there'd be serious gains... maybe a bit, but I suspect the real draw back is the cylinder heads, not the intake. That is, bearing in mind you're forcing air through that intake. Stock E7 heads flow about as well as a milk jug.

Looks like you had all the fun you wanted, though it took much longer than anticipated. Overall, I think it's a good kit based on your story.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All41 View Post
Nice write up.

Are you planning to keep an eye on this or are you relatively convinced it's going to hold? Aluminum tends to tear, so I was wondering.

Yes, I will keep an eye on these. It is very stable and solid however.

YUP! I know people love Cometic, but I've used 9333's for... gosh, can't even remember how long. My last build didn't get them, but I O-ringed the block on that one. Everything before that which wasn't "wired" was a 9333 since the early-mid 90's. They're "high performance" to a degree. However, these are found on the shelves of many auto parts stores. They're about $20 apiece and worth every penny. They just work.

Ya mean, numerically lower, right? You want a higher actual ratio. I'd seriously consider 3.55's, and maybe 3.31's, but nothing higher. Remember, you still have factory heads. Did Mike recommend high gears? If he did, screw what I said...

Yes, numerically lower. I have 3.73 and 3.31 or 3.27 would be better in this case.

All good, except checking new injectors. They're SUPPOSED to be tested prior to leaving the build site! That problem should've been caught and repaired before On3 got them.

Yeah I was so bummed. It's not an On3 issue they just get them from someone else.

BIG points for them! KUDOS On3!

Did you use a stock engine? I'm glad to see the stock regulator replacement. Many people don't realize that it works, and go for some fancy adjustable. Are you SURE the car only has 89,xxx miles?? Hard to imagine! I put over 220,000 on my 91 and haven't driven it 1" since 2002...

Bone stock, very clean and according to car fax actual mileage. Previous owner told me that the guy before him let the car sit for almost ten years=lower mileage.

Finally, you mentioned a possible increase with an intake swap. In this case, I don't think there'd be serious gains... maybe a bit, but I suspect the real draw back is the cylinder heads, not the intake. That is, bearing in mind you're forcing air through that intake. Stock E7 heads flow about as well as a milk jug.

I'm not sure of an increase, I would just think that any airflow would make a big difference. Yes, heads would be best.

Looks like you had all the fun you wanted, though it took much longer than anticipated. Overall, I think it's a good kit based on your story.
For the price this kit can not be beat!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Nice write up, thanks!
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Here is my you tube video of my car. It's not great, and my engine is 21 years old so yes it's noisy and has squeaks

Quote:

I bought the standard On3 Turbo kit for the 5.0 with the 70MM On3 Turbo. I did not upgrade due to Mike at On3 having 27,000 miles on his shop mustang with this exact turbo.

A few things to be prepared for with taking on a project like this:
-budget more than you need
-find someone to help you(more hands the better)
-be patient

A few things to consider with the kit:
-inspect the contents upon arrival to ensure as little delay as possible for installation
-keep in contact with Mike at On3. He is very helpful.
-I bought everything they had for my car. You only need the y pipe if you want to keep your cat back. I went with single 3 inch and a single Flowmaster. So buy the y pipe only if you are sure. You can always buy it later. I bought the "generic" chip for my computer. Sorry On3, guys don't bother getting the chip. I ended up having to have the car tuned and most shops use a name brand SCT or other popular name chip. They cannot and will not use the chip from On3. Save yourself the couple hundred bucks.
-Be prepared to make brackets for the intercooler. There is not a standard bracket. I went to Home Depot and just bought a pice of aluminum. It was very easy.
-just remove the nose of your car, radiator fan shroud and overflow antifreeze tank
-Definitely replace the gas filler tube grommet on the gas tank. I did not and now have to drop the tank this week to do it. It just didn't occur to me at the time. It's only $20 bucks.
-use stock under drive pulleys or your car may get too hot.
-you do not need to buy the oil filter relocation kit for the Fox Body. In the instruction they give you a smaller oil filter you can use instead. I did that and mine works fine.
-Centerforce Dual friction clutch is the best thing since sliced bread! Get one!
-Autometer ultra lite boost gauge looks very nice in the a pillar pod.

I just got back from a drive and my car is awesome! It pulls strong all the way through fifth gear. It will roast the tires pretty much any time I want to. Some of you may be thinking that's not that much power/torque. Those of you considering this kit, just buy it. 300HP in a Nissan Maxima is not the same as 300HP in a fox body. Fox is much faster. You also have to consider the torque. You will have enough torque/hp to be a block down the street while the civic or scion that was taunting you is trying to figure out what just happened. Trust me!

As I said earlier I went with a single three inch exhaust with a one chamber Flowmaster 3inch inlet/2.5 inch outlet with dump. So far I like this setup and it didn't require the $180 y pipe. The car is pretty loud when driving but your not on the gas it's quiet. i like the sneaky factor. I also bought the Cobra style wheels from the 90's with Nitto tires from Late Model Restoration, they are very nice and help keep the stock look of my car.

BTW-If you need the fuel mods plan on spending around $3000 for this build.

Good luck guys!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Nice, sounds good. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
nice video man.i think it turned out good.those little noise are normal in a car of ours age.

btw your fox is pretty clean.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Thanks guys, as you know this was a huge pain in the butt. Completely worth it though. I learned a ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
nice video man.i think it turned out good.those little noise are normal in a car of ours age.

btw your fox is pretty clean.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Looks good!!! And sounds great.

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Soon to be Vortech blown with a built 306 Numbers and times to follow!!!
cgarray17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #13

Region: Iowa

Great looking and sounding fox. I am currently running the boost brothers kit, but I was really wanting to go to the On3. The installation just looks more clean. Great job!

Here's my setup its an sn95 though....

98snakehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Thanks! You're car looks good too. Do you just want different piping? Why not stay with the kit you have?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98snakehorse
Great looking and sounding fox. I am currently running the boost brothers kit, but I was really wanting to go to the On3. The installation just looks more clean. Great job!

Here's my setup its an sn95 though....
What's the brand of your hood?
Lapida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

That did, I placing my order friday... Thank you jaykranz, your video was the deal ender...

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Mines stock

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john
That did, I placing my order friday... Thank you jaykranz, your video was the deal ender...
Awesome! Good luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Lol i keep looking and its makeing me chomp at the bit to put my vortech on i just got lol i was going to get the on3 kit but this deal feel into my lap and looked like a much easyer install and i jumped well see if im not satisfied with the power i might just resell it in a year or so and get the turbo. But who knows vortechs are still good lol cheers brother cant wait to join all you running boost !!!!

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Soon to be Vortech blown with a built 306 Numbers and times to follow!!!
cgarray17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #19

Region: Iowa

Quote:
Thanks! You're car looks good too. Do you just want different piping? Why not stay with the kit you have?
On3 offers much better customer service. Boost brothers isnt even in business anymore. I belive the on3 turbo is a little better quality and even bigger. The only major thing I would do differently with the piping is flip my intake manifold around and run the cold side to the intake on the driver side to stay away from the intense heat from the the hot piping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapida View Post
What's the brand of your hood?
I'm not totally sure it was on there before I bought. Its quite big though I think its maybe a 4inch cowl, makes right hand turns difficult at times, but does have a very aggressive look on the streets.
98snakehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
might have to copy you and do turbo on stock engine. does the kit require a aftermarket k member?
351mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Nope, bolted right on. After having time to drive and get to know the kit I would recommend the upgraded turbo. They have Master Power and an On3 ball bearing one available now. Not a big deal but for a few hundred bucks extra I should have just done it.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
any other upgrades you would recommend?
351mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Well, the basic fuel upgrades, pump, injectors, fuel pressure regulator. The turbo is the only thing that really stands out to me as far as doing it differently if I had the chance. Don't get me wrong the turbo it comes with pulls hard, but I'm going to upgrade it eventually anyway. Might as well just pay a few hundred and get a better one in the first place that's all.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Chad from On3 emailed me back and you do not need a different k member. The kit bolts right on.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder if they have something for an AWD 4.6L Exploder? I'll have to think about that. I want something different, but don't want to buy something new.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Here's the website: www.on3performamce.com
email: on3performance@aol.com

or call Chad and talk to him

I think a turbo would definitely make your explorer different
Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I'll chew on this idea. Never had a turbocharged AWD before, let alone a V8 of my own. It just might be really cool to have both in the same vehicle. I must wonder about fitment though. The space under that hood is what I'd have to describe as... scarcely available.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
Road Trip!

It would probably be a lot of work to get it right.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Supporter

It can be done, but you are looking at a custom installation I would bet.

If you have the tools and talent, go for it!
I think it would be !
Old 04-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I have the tools... and the talent(though I haven't tested myself in 10 straight yrs, so maybe I don't anymore), but what I'm not sure I have anymore is the real desire. I'm thinking of all the things I can do at the house with 3-5 grand... Pfffft... I'm gonna think it over though, for sure. It's a tiny space and I'm already considering the heat build up, the tire wear, torque steer(or broken axles)... And the PURE UNABASHED FUN!!!

Anyone wanna buy an 87 coupe with a 408? I think I wanna new project/toy. At least I'd drive this one, unlike the Mustang. Maybe I should seriously consider selling that old thing... Too much thinking. Need a break.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT