Who knows about body work and paint? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Who knows about body work and paint?

Know to fix the terrible door band on my car the right way I need to repaint the whole car. For now I just want to fix the ding and the huge paint chip on the car for now. I'll take a picture of it in the sun tomorrow just want to know what I'm getting into..?

Help
1995boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I would sand the bad area down to bare metal.if the ding is bad you can just bondo it.but if its big you will need to pull it because u don't want a ton of bondo on there.

When u apply the bondo go wider than u need to so you have room to blend it flat.sand it really good preferably with a DA Sander.if there is a lot of sanding you can start with 120 grit or so and finish with 320.some will say even finer but IMO 320 is fine.

Then tape all required.a better quality tape will be better served.its a good idea to tape things like rubber seals,door handles etc before sanding incase u slip.

Then for best results prime the whole door to blend everything good.
Since u plan on painting the whole car later u can probably get away with the cheaper paint.sometimes the cheaper paint doesn't match as well but it will not be real bad.but if you plan on leaving it for a long time get the better paint.

Then take your time and don't get crazy.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I would sand the bad area down to bare metal.if the ding is bad you can just bondo it.but if its big you will need to pull it because u don't want a ton of bondo on there.

When u apply the bondo go wider than u need to so you have room to blend it flat.sand it really good preferably with a DA Sander.if there is a lot of sanding you can start with 120 grit or so and finish with 320.some will say even finer but IMO 320 is fine.

Then tape all required.a better quality tape will be better served.its a good idea to tape things like rubber seals,door handles etc before sanding incase u slip.

Then for best results prime the whole door to blend everything good.
Since u plan on painting the whole car later u can probably get away with the cheaper paint.sometimes the cheaper paint doesn't match as well but it will not be real bad.but if you plan on leaving it for a long time get the better paint.

Then take your time and don't get crazy.
Yeah I think I'll just pull the dent. I've tried the whole dry ice trick but it didn't work. I just don't know what to do it will be a waste of time to prime the whole door. I'll show you the paint flaws. The person that painted it before didn't take prep time and prime it looks BAD. I'll show you some pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Road Trip!

One more tip if u get a piece of thin flexible metal, like banding material u can lay it across your sanding area to look for gaps.so you can get it nice and flat.this will help keep away the waves that u see sometimes in bad bondo jobs.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
One more tip if u get a piece of thin flexible metal, like banding material u can lay it across your sanding area to look for gaps.so you can get it nice and flat.this will help keep away the waves that u see sometimes in bad bondo jobs.
I don't plan to use any bondo i would rather do it right because when I do paint the whole car it will just look like crap in the long run.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Road Trip!

It's not neccesary to prime the whole door and most people probably wouldnt.I like to , just to help blend everything.a good painter can fix a small area without being able to tell.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

I will have to see your pic tomorrow but a small amount of bondo is usually worth it.some dents you just can't get perfect without bondo like if you have to hammer the dent out or have creases.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's not neccesary to prime the whole door and most people probably wouldnt.I like to , just to help blend everything.a good painter can fix a small area without being able to tell.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

I will have to see your pic tomorrow but a small amount of bondo is usually worth it.some dents you just can't get perfect without bondo like if you have to hammer the dent out or have creases.
See the metal is not creased that's why I tried the whole dry ice trick. I looking into the basics of body work and seen about that. I just couldn't remember what it was called lol. The metal is just pushed in and not that bad of a dent.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Road Trip!

You may get lucky and just be able to pop it out then
Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Who knows about body work and paint?

Yep, pictures will help a lot.

P.S. The dry ice trick works, but only on very slight dents on flat surfaces. Any curvature close by seems to defeat it. If the dent is deep enough to stretch the metal much, forget it, it isn't going to work.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You may get lucky and just be able to pop it out then
Im hoping for it. I just know the whole car needs to be done right when I get ready to paint. I'll just need to think of a paint scheme before then.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Yep, pictures will help a lot.

P.S. The dry ice trick works, but only on very slight dents on flat surfaces. Any curvature close by seems to defeat it. If the dent is deep enough to stretch the metal much, forget it, it isn't going to work.
I think I'll just have to try it again. I don't think I heated it enough. And I completely believe it works from the examples I have see.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Who knows about body work and paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995boss View Post
I think I'll just have to try it again. I don't think I heated it enough. And I completely believe it works from the examples I have see.
It has to be pretty darned hot and start out rubbing the ice in the very center in a circular motion and gradually work out as the dent begins to move outward.
At least that's what has worked best for me.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT