Fixing the spring behind the clutch pedal. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Fixing the spring behind the clutch pedal.

Have been hearing this horrible squeaking noise when I push in the clutch pedal and when I lift off it sounds sooo loud.

So im wondering if there is a spring I could put some lithium grease on or just replace. Is there even a spring? How hard is it to get to?

Anyone know what I'm taking about help me out.
1995boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I don't know if it a spring behind the clutc pedal or not. But mine sqeakes to when my foot is off the clutch. If I barley put pressure on the pedal it goes away. But it's the throwout bearing that is sqeaking. More than Likely
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Re: Fixing the spring behind the clutch pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995boss View Post
Have been hearing this horrible squeaking noise when I push in the clutch pedal and when I lift off it sounds sooo loud.

So im wondering if there is a spring I could put some lithium grease on or just replace. Is there even a spring? How hard is it to get to?

Anyone know what I'm taking about help me out.
You may have the stock quadrant, which is probably some form of plastic. If so, find a suitable replacement and plan to be aggravated for an hour or more unless you're quite small and agile. If there's a spring, perhaps you've found an enigma. Honestly, it's been so many years since I've been under the dash of a manual trans Mustang, I can't really say what's there. I don't remember any spring with the clutch pedal though, as it's typically drawn back up by the other end(pressure plate).

This would be a fine time to replace the cable if it hasn't been done that you know of, or in several years. Whatever cable you get, make sure it's the factory stock cable. You may want to get a firewall adjuster as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt View Post
I don't know if it a spring behind the clutc pedal or not. But mine sqeakes to when my foot is off the clutch. If I barley put pressure on the pedal it goes away. But it's the throwout bearing that is sqeaking. More than Likely
Correct! Definitely gonna be the throwout/release bearing.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

May need to replace some bushings and lubricate the pivot points and shaft a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Pedal Assembly 3.gif
Views:	17926
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	44247  
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
May need to replace some bushings and lubricate the pivot points and shaft a bit.
This is behind the fire wall?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
This is behind the fire wall?
Up under the dash.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Up under the dash.
Think I could do it in a parking lot?

I'm at college right now
Old 03-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Think I could do it in a parking lot?

I'm at college right now
Maybe, but it would be a chore.
Try just spraying the spring and joints with a bit of lubricant and see if that quietens it down before you tear it apart.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Maybe, but it would be a chore.
Try just spraying the spring and joints with a bit of lubricant and see if that quietens it down before you tear it apart.
That's what I was going to do first. I think some white lithium grease will do the trick.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
That's what I was going to do first. I think some white lithium grease will do the trick.
Good choice.
While it wouldn't be impossible, tearing it apart in a parking lot would be a huge PITA.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Btw, I'm way late on this, but that little spring inside the quadrant certainly wasn't on my mind. Just thought I'd make a point that my entire response was based in the cable and quadrant. The reason is, those old quadrants are usually the problem and... Well, I was thinking of a "drawback" spring with notable pressure. Anyway, my bad for completely leaving out some pieces.

Question(not that I'll get back quickly- much going on lately), was that the problem?
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by All41
Btw, I'm way late on this, but that little spring inside the quadrant certainly wasn't on my mind. Just thought I'd make a point that my entire response was based in the cable and quadrant. The reason is, those old quadrants are usually the problem and... Well, I was thinking of a "drawback" spring with notable pressure. Anyway, my bad for completely leaving out some pieces.

Question(not that I'll get back quickly- much going on lately), was that the problem?
Well I haven't taken off the quadrant but any means for now. If I had a lift it would be a whole other story, but the spring I was thinking of would of been a return spring but a good friend of mine that owns a tranny shop told me he was almost positive there is not a return spring.

In the end I'm going to order a ford Motorsport quadrant with the firewall adjuster. There about a $150 but would be well worth it in the end. Also a new cable of course.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well I haven't taken off the quadrant but any means for now. If I had a lift it would be a whole other story, but the spring I was thinking of would of been a return spring but a good friend of mine that owns a tranny shop told me he was almost positive there is not a return spring.

In the end I'm going to order a ford Motorsport quadrant with the firewall adjuster. There about a $150 but would be well worth it in the end. Also a new cable of course.
Be sure you get the OEM style clutch cable.
Maximum Motorsports has them.
You can see why in the link page.

P.S. There is a return spring. It is shown in the diagram above.
It "helps "return" the quadrant to its original position after the clutch has been depressed.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Be sure you get the OEM style clutch cable.
Maximum Motorsports has them.
You can see why in the link page.

P.S. There is a return spring. It is shown in the diagram above.
It "helps "return" the quadrant to its original position after the clutch has been depressed.
Well alright I guess I'll just have to check it out about the return spring. And I remember about the maximum Motorsport cable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT