Engine swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 30
Engine swap

I have a 93 mustang and i found a old 351 modified I want to drop in my 93 mustang. Will the tranny built up or will I need a different tranny and will the motor mounts be different?? I need replys fast so I can switch this motors put fast
Ajsjstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 72
Re: Engine swap

The 351M won't bolt together with a standard T5 Mustang housing or AOD. Motor mounts will definitely be different, as will headers.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Engine swap

+1

Performance parts will be difficult if not impossible to find.
Save that old 351M for a boat anchor. They are not a very desirable engine.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 30
Re: Engine swap

The 351 already has headers and it don't even have 80 000 of it and ok thanks for the info I'll prolly just stay with my 302 H.O. Know some places for cheap performance parts?
Ajsjstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajsjstang View Post
The 351 already has headers and it don't even have 80 000 of it and ok thanks for the info I'll prolly just stay with my 302 H.O. Know some places for cheap performance parts?
American Muscle


They have a forum on this site and you can get a forum discount once your post count is high enough and you meet their requirements.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 72
Re: Engine swap

"Cheap" is relative. That said, you could build a 400hp 302HO for less than a 400hp 351M any day. The M is essentially a truck engine. It doesn't have high rpm capabilities(like drag racers want, anyway) and it's lethargic due to weight and more. Intakes and such can be found, but they're very expensive and rare, as this wasn't often built for performance.

Trust us on this one. You're way better off keeping the 5.0 under the hood.

So... which parts are you looking for? Seriously, any plans? Regardless, I'll tell ya what I'd do 1st. Call me crazy, CYLINDER HEADS and cam! Everything else can be put on around them so start there. If you get an intake, sure it cost less... but then you get to replace the gaskets all over again when you get to the heads. Plus, even with stock intake and other components, a good set of aluminum heads will instantly improve performance like NO other part you can install, aside from a power adder. AFR, TFS, Edelbrock, Patriot... or you could be really different and find a set of Coates heads(most people have never heard of them, but they're expensive and astounding in performance). I'd save for heads and let the rest show up per paycheck...

You may also consider suspension 1st. It could be well worth it.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 30
Re: Engine swap

Thanks guys and I was wanting to re build the whole motor and drop it back in I was wanting to get different heads and cam and upper intake and crank for sure
Ajsjstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 72
Re: Engine swap

Your stock crank will hold up fine. I cranked my block before my stock crank broke. Once the block actually split, the crank snapped.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Engine swap

Were I starting over my very first mods would be the HCI swap.With some kits you can instantly go from 215 HP to 360 HP.
I agree the heads are the most important power builder you can buy.
The minuscule valves and ports on the stock heads just don't cut it for performance.


I checked out the Coates Heads.
Found them to be very interesting until I read about their "Chinese merger partner".
That and more rotating parts just turned off my interest like flipping a light switch.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
stampde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manalapan
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,880
Re: Engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by All41 View Post
"Cheap" is relative. That said, you could build a 400hp 302HO for less than a 400hp 351M any day. The M is essentially a truck engine. It doesn't have high rpm capabilities(like drag racers want, anyway) and it's lethargic due to weight and more. Intakes and such can be found, but they're very expensive and rare, as this wasn't often built for performance.

Trust us on this one. You're way better off keeping the 5.0 under the hood.

So... which parts are you looking for? Seriously, any plans? Regardless, I'll tell ya what I'd do 1st. Call me crazy, CYLINDER HEADS and cam! Everything else can be put on around them so start there. If you get an intake, sure it cost less... but then you get to replace the gaskets all over again when you get to the heads. Plus, even with stock intake and other components, a good set of aluminum heads will instantly improve performance like NO other part you can install, aside from a power adder. AFR, TFS, Edelbrock, Patriot... or you could be really different and find a set of Coates heads(most people have never heard of them, but they're expensive and astounding in performance). I'd save for heads and let the rest show up per paycheck...

You may also consider suspension 1st. It could be well worth it.
i disagree ,lol
there's not many performance parts,true
they are truck motors ,true
BUT You can make good power ,fairly cheap
my buddy had a 70 Torino with a 400M , 4v cleveland heads ,edelbrock intake ,and a cam ,your basic bolt on stuff and it ran low 12's and Torino's are heavy !!!
__________________
2011 GT Auto
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 30
Re: Engine swap

Sweet thanks guys I don't know what kind of heads I should get though
Ajsjstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajsjstang View Post
Sweet thanks guys I don't know what kind of heads I should get though
Look up the Trick Flow top end kits on American Muscle.
One of their kits will net you in the neighborhood of 360 HP.
Talk to them before buying to ensure you won't need to notch or replace your pistons for compatibility with their heads and valve sizes
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
i disagree ,lol
there's not many performance parts,true
they are truck motors ,true
BUT You can make good power ,fairly cheap
my buddy had a 70 Torino with a 400M , 4v cleveland heads ,edelbrock intake ,and a cam ,your basic bolt on stuff and it ran low 12's and Torino's are heavy !!!
Just save the crank out of that boat anchor and build a nice 351W stroker instead.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning engine? DaYanks4Ev Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 33 03-27-2012 01:05 AM
MAC ProChamber & V6 Engine robb15033 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 8 03-25-2012 12:55 AM
2002 gt auto to 5 speed swap BigJohnson9796 1996-2004 Mustang GT 6 03-21-2012 02:05 PM
PI swap? StackeStang 1996-2004 Mustang GT 12 03-19-2012 08:39 PM
Price of engine to sell Rockn69Stang Classic Mustangs 0 03-18-2012 07:05 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:57 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.