Engine swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Engine swap

I have a 93 mustang and i found a old 351 modified I want to drop in my 93 mustang. Will the tranny built up or will I need a different tranny and will the motor mounts be different?? I need replys fast so I can switch this motors put fast
Ajsjstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Re: Engine swap

The 351M won't bolt together with a standard T5 Mustang housing or AOD. Motor mounts will definitely be different, as will headers.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

+1

Performance parts will be difficult if not impossible to find.
Save that old 351M for a boat anchor. They are not a very desirable engine.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The 351 already has headers and it don't even have 80 000 of it and ok thanks for the info I'll prolly just stay with my 302 H.O. Know some places for cheap performance parts?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajsjstang View Post
The 351 already has headers and it don't even have 80 000 of it and ok thanks for the info I'll prolly just stay with my 302 H.O. Know some places for cheap performance parts?
American Muscle

They have a forum on this site and you can get a forum discount once your post count is high enough and you meet their requirements.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

"Cheap" is relative. That said, you could build a 400hp 302HO for less than a 400hp 351M any day. The M is essentially a truck engine. It doesn't have high rpm capabilities(like drag racers want, anyway) and it's lethargic due to weight and more. Intakes and such can be found, but they're very expensive and rare, as this wasn't often built for performance.

Trust us on this one. You're way better off keeping the 5.0 under the hood.

So... which parts are you looking for? Seriously, any plans? Regardless, I'll tell ya what I'd do 1st. Call me crazy, CYLINDER HEADS and cam! Everything else can be put on around them so start there. If you get an intake, sure it cost less... but then you get to replace the gaskets all over again when you get to the heads. Plus, even with stock intake and other components, a good set of aluminum heads will instantly improve performance like NO other part you can install, aside from a power adder. AFR, TFS, Edelbrock, Patriot... or you could be really different and find a set of Coates heads(most people have never heard of them, but they're expensive and astounding in performance). I'd save for heads and let the rest show up per paycheck...

You may also consider suspension 1st. It could be well worth it.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys and I was wanting to re build the whole motor and drop it back in I was wanting to get different heads and cam and upper intake and crank for sure
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Your stock crank will hold up fine. I cranked my block before my stock crank broke. Once the block actually split, the crank snapped.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Were I starting over my very first mods would be the HCI swap.With some kits you can instantly go from 215 HP to 360 HP.
I agree the heads are the most important power builder you can buy.
The minuscule valves and ports on the stock heads just don't cut it for performance.

I checked out the Coates Heads.
Found them to be very interesting until I read about their "Chinese merger partner".
That and more rotating parts just turned off my interest like flipping a light switch.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by All41 View Post
"Cheap" is relative. That said, you could build a 400hp 302HO for less than a 400hp 351M any day. The M is essentially a truck engine. It doesn't have high rpm capabilities(like drag racers want, anyway) and it's lethargic due to weight and more. Intakes and such can be found, but they're very expensive and rare, as this wasn't often built for performance.

Trust us on this one. You're way better off keeping the 5.0 under the hood.

So... which parts are you looking for? Seriously, any plans? Regardless, I'll tell ya what I'd do 1st. Call me crazy, CYLINDER HEADS and cam! Everything else can be put on around them so start there. If you get an intake, sure it cost less... but then you get to replace the gaskets all over again when you get to the heads. Plus, even with stock intake and other components, a good set of aluminum heads will instantly improve performance like NO other part you can install, aside from a power adder. AFR, TFS, Edelbrock, Patriot... or you could be really different and find a set of Coates heads(most people have never heard of them, but they're expensive and astounding in performance). I'd save for heads and let the rest show up per paycheck...

You may also consider suspension 1st. It could be well worth it.
i disagree ,lol
there's not many performance parts,true
they are truck motors ,true
BUT You can make good power ,fairly cheap
my buddy had a 70 Torino with a 400M , 4v cleveland heads ,edelbrock intake ,and a cam ,your basic bolt on stuff and it ran low 12's and Torino's are heavy !!!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet thanks guys I don't know what kind of heads I should get though
Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajsjstang View Post
Sweet thanks guys I don't know what kind of heads I should get though
Look up the Trick Flow top end kits on American Muscle.
One of their kits will net you in the neighborhood of 360 HP.
Talk to them before buying to ensure you won't need to notch or replace your pistons for compatibility with their heads and valve sizes
Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
i disagree ,lol
there's not many performance parts,true
they are truck motors ,true
BUT You can make good power ,fairly cheap
my buddy had a 70 Torino with a 400M , 4v cleveland heads ,edelbrock intake ,and a cam ,your basic bolt on stuff and it ran low 12's and Torino's are heavy !!!
Just save the crank out of that boat anchor and build a nice 351W stroker instead.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT