89 fox advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
89 fox advice

Got a 89 fox hatch 5 spd recently whent to change the water pump and a bolt broke off in the block (yay) so after removing the timing cover to get the broken bolt out i stopped because i thought to myself since im here i might as well add a cam. Dont get me wrong i know you still have to pull the intake ect..replace lifters make sure pushrods are straight ..but back to my question ive read you can definatly get more power from upgrading the heads .but what about just doing the cam and machining the stock upper and lower ? Any insight would be great .Thanks !
intensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Depends on what size cam you go with really, first of all you wouldn't get a lot of benefits from just a cam. Something small like a b303 would be good but when you get up to like the 500 range you should have better valve springs. So you'd have to buy some double behive valve springs from like trick flow and then find a shop that can compress and install them, and while the heads are off you should get them inspected and new rings etc. etc. not trying to talk you out of it but I wouldnt dump a lot of money into it man. And to add to the list you would be safer to install a new timing chain since the engine is apart. To try to shorten up my excuse of a reason, I just did all this 6 months ago and I would of been more happy if I would of just threw that 500 in a slot machine lol
Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
a cam is definitly a good idea if you get the supporting mods.but like said its not gonna benifit much with just a cam.i would get a fool topend kit if i was you.something like trickflow or holley systemmax.if you dont have the money to do something like that u can do the budget build.go to the junkyard and pick up some gt40 heads and intake then throw a b303 or e303 in there and you should see a pretty decent gain.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So i would just be better off putting it back together and look for heads .Possibly also a cobra upper and lower?

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Then the cam ? Just sucks since your halfway there ?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Road Trip!

well you could throw in the cam now.but you wont see much gain until you put the supporting mods on.the main thing is you will have to buy gaskets twice.if you want to do it now go for it.just dont expect big gains til you do the rest thats all.you can also find the gt40 stuff off of 96-97 1/2 explorers and gt40 p heads off 97 1/2 - 2001 explorerers i think.one good benifit you will get from the cam is the sound.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

hey another idea you can do is put a timing gear drive in it.not everyone likes them but i love the sound.if u want i can post a vid of how mine sounds.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I just really want to know what i should do now that i wont have to do later i know its a long time but i just bought a house with a 3 car garage and finaly have the space to do all this howeverbuying it has set me back money wise
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Road Trip!

the cam will run around 200$ and the heads and intak can probably be picked up for a few hundred.but its a possibility that the heads may or may not need rebuilt.like i said if you want to put the cam in while you have the cover off go for it.you will have to pull some other parts like the radiator intake etc but i dont remeber the exact process.

also if you want some ideas what to do check out the sticky thread "in the beggining". there is some good info on where to start modding.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Actually all that is pulled because when i bought it the all that wasnt flowing right haf the original broken bolt with alot of permatex and stucj thermostat ..ect built to much presser and actually blew gasket on other side thats when i ran in to the bolt issue
Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
Road Trip!

ok to better help you decide what u want to do.first we need to know your budget and how long you can have your car in rebuild mode.basically is it your DD?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Not at all. Sadly lol ,used to he just hop in and go but i decided to build with my son .gradualy
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Road Trip!

ok so you have time.if you have time there is no need to rush.now we have to decide if you want to go budget build or all out.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 89 fox advice

IMO, save your money and buy a top end kit that has matched heads, cam and intake. Then you will get parts that really work together. Trick Flow has a kit that will take you from stock HP up to 360 HP.
I know how difficult it is to save the money and wait, believe me. I've been working on mine saving and buying for over ten years now. The last 3 years have been dedicated to saving for and purchasing a supercharger, tuner and all the other stuff I need to install it.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Any one have any knowledge of the bbk ssi?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 89 fox advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensive View Post
Any one have any knowledge of the bbk ssi?
Search the threads on this forum for the BBK SSI.
There were some issues with the fuel crossover tube I seem to remember.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that does not appear to be the way i would go thanks...still thinking and researching
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
Road Trip!

I heard the same thing of the bbk.I'm not sure but isn't svtlx running the bbl intake? I think it is good but just has the fuel line problem.what I would do is call bbk to verify they solved the problem.

I would suggest like Trojan said and go with the trickflow top end kit.it is a great package.I don't have the kit but I'm running trickflow heads and they are amazing.

If you went the cheap route and got gt40 junk yard stuff I would make sure they have some kind of warranty and have them rebuilt at a machine shop.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i was looking at that on summit but was more than the eldbrock kit. was kinda pondering the two however, still thinking might go the explorer intake head route and just have them ported like you said . but finding a good set would be the main issue

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

And if i did the gt40 go with the e cam? Seen where some guys dont mess with the "alphabet" cams
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Road Trip!

the alphabet cams are always up for debate.IMO people dont like them because they have been around so long.so people assume that they are outdated.i like to call it proven technology.if you call ford racing they will tell you that they keep up to date with technology including: machining processes,material, etc. i have a b303 in my car and im running 1.72 roller rockers with my trickflow heads.i believe trojan is running an x cam.another good cam people recommend is the trickflow stage 1 can.

dont get your heads untill you have the money to take them to get inspected first.if you make sure that the supplier has at least a 30 day warranty,you can have your machine shop verify that they are good heads.that is what i would do to make sure i am getting a good head.now you may still have to rebuild them but that is normal.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Search the threads on this forum for the BBK SSI.
There were some issues with the fuel crossover tube I seem to remember.
I am using a bbk ssi intake, I do like it but did have problems, fuel rails leaked. I fixed it all and working really good now.I do have post here that talk about what I had to do. Over all I do like it, even thou most that you read dont
Quball19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #20
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
I'm running the Bbk SSI-R intake with so far no probs. here is what Trojan got back from BBK on the fuel leak issue.

Reply from BBK about fuel crossover leak issues.
Originally Posted by Dave from BBK
The only major issue I'm aware of that we had in the past was the cross-over leaking. This was because of the o-rings not holding up properly. For customers with that setup, we sent out multiple o-rings that can be doubled up to provide a better seal. This was a while ago and since then we have upgraded the kit with new rails and a cross over that uses two aircraft grade aluminum 90 degree fittings and a piece of locking fuel line.

- Dave

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yes Trojan Horse helped me out, I had older set of fuel rails, welded up cross over tube holes runs a line in back , works great. Not sure how to send the post to where we talked about it

---------- Post added at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
I'm running the Bbk SSI-R intake with so far no probs. here is what Trojan got back from BBK on the fuel leak issue.

Reply from BBK about fuel crossover leak issues.
Originally Posted by Dave from BBK
The only major issue I'm aware of that we had in the past was the cross-over leaking. This was because of the o-rings not holding up properly. For customers with that setup, we sent out multiple o-rings that can be doubled up to provide a better seal. This was a while ago and since then we have upgraded the kit with new rails and a cross over that uses two aircraft grade aluminum 90 degree fittings and a piece of locking fuel line.

- Dave
Sorry 90 lx you was there
Quball19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT