addressing oil leaks - lower intake r & r - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
addressing oil leaks - lower intake r & r

Hello all,

My oil leaks have gotten a bit worse so I'm now taking some action to get them wrapped. Was going to try and do a wrenching meet at my shop but the leaks needs addressed ASAP. I thought the rear main was leaking but now I suspect a leak from the intake manifold; I'm going to be investigating closer later this eve but I'm curious as to how hard of a job replacing that gasket would be? It doesn't look too bad, but then again neither did the thermostat and that was an annoying little PITA

I also have a slight throttle hang issue that I'm thinking might be vacuum related. The car idles fine (though when the engine is warm the idle will dip real low after initial start up before settling), but when I lift off the throttle while driving the car generally keeps going under power for awhile, sometimes until I take it out of gear at which point the engine will idle down. Wondering if this might be a sign of a bad seal with the intake manifold somewhere.

Think the issues might be related? And what's it like to r & r a lower intake manifold on this car?

Thanks much for the help!

1992 5.0L Convertible
Chwriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: addressing oil leaks - lower intake r & r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwriting View Post
Hello all,

My oil leaks have gotten a bit worse so I'm now taking some action to get them wrapped. Was going to try and do a wrenching meet at my shop but the leaks needs addressed ASAP. I thought the rear main was leaking but now I suspect a leak from the intake manifold; I'm going to be investigating closer later this eve but I'm curious as to how hard of a job replacing that gasket would be? It doesn't look too bad, but then again neither did the thermostat and that was an annoying little PITA

I also have a slight throttle hang issue that I'm thinking might be vacuum related. The car idles fine (though when the engine is warm the idle will dip real low after initial start up before settling), but when I lift off the throttle while driving the car generally keeps going under power for awhile, sometimes until I take it out of gear at which point the engine will idle down. Wondering if this might be a sign of a bad seal with the intake manifold somewhere.

Think the issues might be related? And what's it like to r & r a lower intake manifold on this car?

Thanks much for the help!
It's probably leaking out the end of the intake. The end gaskets are frequently a problem area and some do away with the end gaskets and just use a bead of silicone sealer in their place.

Replacing it won't be too big of a chore. Just be sure you follow the torque specs and tightening sequence when reinstalling. If you don't already have one a Chilton's or Haynes manual is your friend.

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and typing out the whole procedure, here is an article on the installation of an intake manifold. Not the same intake as yours, but the procedure is very similar.

1989 Ford Mustang GT Intake Installation

The throttle issue could be because of a vacuum leak. If it still exists when you have completed your repairs, check out the Useful Information sticky thread in this forum for links to some checks and cures.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT