Question about Brakes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Question about Brakes

When I depress the brake pedal really fast it makes a "Whoosh" noise. I had assumed maybe that its normal, since its been like that since day one and my brakes are still strong enough to easily lock up the tires. Today, my brake light comes on due to low fluid (most likely need new pads but dont think thats the main factor in loosing the fluid). Im not seeing any visable leaks anywhere...just wondering if anyone has any clues as to what might be going on?
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: Question about Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc View Post
When I depress the brake pedal really fast it makes a "Whoosh" noise. I had assumed maybe that its normal, since its been like that since day one and my brakes are still strong enough to easily lock up the tires. Today, my brake light comes on due to low fluid (most likely need new pads but dont think thats the main factor in loosing the fluid). Im not seeing any visable leaks anywhere...just wondering if anyone has any clues as to what might be going on?
front brake hoses or rear wheel cylinders , witch you really cant see unless you pop of the wheels and drums
Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Thanks! Ill be sure to check that. I have zero idea how drum brakes operate; cant be that hard tho
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc View Post
If there are no visible signs of leaking fluid, then it is likely that your fluid level is low just because the pads are worn down. As they wear it takes more and more fluid volume to press the pads hard enough into the drums and rotors to provide adequate stopping power. You really should check your brake fluid level more often as it could end up being a life or death matter for your and others.

The "whoosh" noise is caused by the air (on the other side of the vacuum diaphragm) in your brake booster being exhausted quickly. It is normal and nothing to worry about.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
The woosh sound sounds like your booster could be going out. (been there do that lol)
Is it possible for the fluid to go into the booster? About every 3 months I add a can of fluid to my system bc it's leaking, an I can not see it at all, not on my hoses, breaks, the ground.... Unless some one is stealing it :/
It's on a c1500 hehe..
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
The woosh sound sounds like your booster could be going out. (been there do that lol)
Is it possible for the fluid to go into the booster? About every 3 months I add a can of fluid to my system bc it's leaking, an I can not see it at all, not on my hoses, breaks, the ground.... Unless some one is stealing it :/
It's on a c1500 hehe..
Probably a small leak on one or more of your wheel cylinders.
Heat from the brakes my be boiling off or evaporating the fluid before it leaks out enough to drip and be visible.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT