need torque box advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
need torque box advice

now as some of you may know from a picture i posted a while ago of my torque box(ill post another asap) its pretty bad, now im thinking about ordering a set of torque boxes that were cut off a 93 mustang on ebay. Theres no returns and im not sure if i should risk the $173 on it in case there not in good enough shape

1987 - 1993 MUSTANG LOWER CONTROL ARM TORQUE BOX | eBay

advice..please.. lol
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: need torque box advice

pic for those who may have not seen it b4
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I have no clue on the price, because I have never bought torque boxes.but IMO they look like they are in good enough shape to use.but I also can't tell you if anything is missing cause again I lack some experience in that department.

But advice that I can give is read all the feedback so you can get a feel for what kind of seller he is.I didn't read the feedback but he does have over 5000 feedbacks with 99.6% positive.so that is good.

What else I would do is send the.seller an email with your questions including:what car they came off,if anything on them is missing,if you need anything else to install them, etc etc etc.don't be shy and get as much info as you can to help verify he is legit and the part is what your looking for.

Also this job is sorta a big job to change.it would be good to have someone with welding experience to help the install.and we are here to help along the way.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not 100% sure but I thought the kits that are made to strengthen torque boxes could also be used to repair them. I would maybe look into these before cutting out your original ones. Why replace when you could possibly upgrade cheaper?
Mustang Torque Box Reinforcements - Free Shipping at LatemodelRestoration.com
Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark98gt
I'm not 100% sure but I thought the kits that are made to strengthen torque boxes could also be used to repair them. I would maybe look into these before cutting out your original ones. Why replace when you could possibly upgrade cheaper?
Mustang Torque Box Reinforcements - Free Shipping at LatemodelRestoration.com
The problem with that is his are to far gone to repair properly.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok well looking at the ebay ad, those look about perfect. I agree with your previous post then.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I have no clue on the price, because I have never bought torque boxes.but IMO they look like they are in good enough shape to use.but I also can't tell you if anything is missing cause again I lack some experience in that department.

But advice that I can give is read all the feedback so you can get a feel for what kind of seller he is.I didn't read the feedback but he does have over 5000 feedbacks with 99.6% positive.so that is good.

What else I would do is send the.seller an email with your questions including:what car they came off,if anything on them is missing,if you need anything else to install them, etc etc etc.don't be shy and get as much info as you can to help verify he is legit and the part is what your looking for.

Also this job is sorta a big job to change.it would be good to have someone with welding experience to help the install.and we are here to help along the way.
yeah i know i gotta to weld it and i dont think theres any hardware or anything needed besides wht i already have

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Quote:
The problem with that is his are to far gone to repair properly.
yeah i bought a reinforcement kit that i am going to be installing but i figured i should get these and theyre the only ones out that ive seen unless i go to a junkyard and cut ones out and my step dad suggested making one from scratch but the only thing is i dont want to run into any problems with the control arms or anything else id rather stock and then reinforce it

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

and about the welding my step dads a great welder
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Road Trip!

i agree on going stock replacement and reinforcing.it will probably be easier that way and should fit best.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i agree on going stock replacement and reinforcing.it will probably be easier that way and should fit best.
yeah id rather not run into any problems how complicated is it reinforcing torque boxes? more so the upper one
Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Road Trip!

I haven't done reiforments yet.but I did just start a thread cause I plan on doing mine possibly this weekend or the next.I was hoping that I don't need to do the top but I may.I will write my experiences on my thread to share.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I haven't done reiforments yet.but I did just start a thread cause I plan on doing mine possibly this weekend or the next.I was hoping that I don't need to do the top but I may.I will write my experiences on my thread to share.
lol i just posted on it bc idk how these work: 1979-1993 MUSTANG TORQUE BOX SET ADJUSTABLE HEAVY DUTY | eBay

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

and i was saying youre better off doing both

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

And im a little scared of a few of the feed backs for the guy almost all of em aare good but a few people said they received damaged parts and never got a response when they contacted him
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
Road Trip!

thats the only bad part of ordering off ebay.i think you need to at least give him an email to feel him out.99.6% is pretty good.but sometimes its still risky.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thats the only bad part of ordering off ebay.i think you need to at least give him an email to feel him out.99.6% is pretty good.but sometimes its still risky.
yeah i asked for a picture of the side thatd be on the frame i guess u can say bc he didnt post any pictures of it but i just hope its good bc theres no other torque boxes online besides those weird ones i posted on ur thread and instructions arent included
Old 03-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
Road Trip!

one other thing.i was reading a little bit.and make sure before you remove your old one.take a whole lots of measurements,pics etc.anything you can do to make sure that when you put the new one in its in the same place.i would measure from front tire to back.t box to t box.and any other point u can find to measure.this will help reinsure your rearend alignment stays the same.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
one other thing.i was reading a little bit.and make sure before you remove your old one.take a whole lots of measurements,pics etc.anything you can do to make sure that when you put the new one in its in the same place.i would measure from front tire to back.t box to t box.and any other point u can find to measure.this will help reinsure your rearend alignment stays the same.
yeah i was gonna measure up on the other side but thats prob. better if i9 measure it b4 i remove it lol
Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Just do what I did. I measured up what was left of my old ones and fabbed up new ones out of 3/16" steel plate. Mine won't ever fail again and I don't need to strengthen them. It was a lot cheaper than $173 too.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Just do what I did. I measured up what was left of my old ones and fabbed up new ones out of 3/16" steel plate. Mine won't ever fail again and I don't need to strengthen them. It was a lot cheaper than $173 too.
True. I just don't want to run into any problems with it. But ill look into both of em
Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post
True. I just don't want to run into any problems with it. But ill look into both of em
I put some pics of what I did here - Torque Boxes
Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I put some pics of what I did here - Torque Boxes
yeah i saw them b4 me and dreamstang were commenting back and forth on the 2 threads involving torque boxes we started

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

was it complicated making em
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post
yeah i saw them b4 me and dreamstang were commenting back and forth on the 2 threads involving torque boxes we started

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

was it complicated making em
Not really. I just took measurements under the car and of the old torque box, then changed the design. I changed the design so they wouldn't hold any rocks, dirt or water like the originals might do. Then I scrounged up some 3/16" scrap metal and went to fabbing them up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT