fab torque reinforcments and subframe connectors - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #36
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: fab torque reinforcments and subframe connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
i honestly dont think i will add the bar.i just dont like the look.but just incase i could just leave the plate full size and not weld right?my concern with my interior is i have freshly covered rear seats even though they should come out,new glass,painted interior quarter panels, new carpet,new seats,new top,new door panels, etc etc.basicaly everything is brand new or freshly painted and i dont want to risk anything.i will still take caution when i weld the bottom though.

i am fine with the springs being cut.they did a good job at least and are identical height.
Sure you could.

Removing the seats and using a piece or pieces of sheet metal for splatter control will protect your interior. However, accidents can happen and I do understand your reluctance. After all that hard work I would cry if I did something to mess it up.

Yes, be sure to pull up the carpet and check for any of that tar based sound deadener. Sure don't want to ignite that stuff.

If you do decide to add a bar later they make bolt in models, so you wouldn't have to do any welding.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
cool.thanx for the advice.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

i will make sure nothings behind where i weld.i will have a buddy fire watch.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #38
Road Trip!

Torque box reinforments installed and lift bars installed.I burrowed a bottle of gas from my buddy.the t box reinforcements are mostly bolted, but I gotta little weld on them.I also welded some of the seams around the t box that are only spot welded.

I'm getting ready to take it for a spin as soon as I change dirty clothes.so ill be back with an update even though I don't really want to piss off the neighbors this late.so I'm gonna take it easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Torque box reinforments installed and lift bars installed.I burrowed a bottle of gas from my buddy.the t box reinforcements are mostly bolted, but I gotta little weld on them.I also welded some of the seams around the t box that are only spot welded.

I'm getting ready to take it for a spin as soon as I change dirty clothes.so ill be back with an update even though I don't really want to piss off the neighbors this late.so I'm gonna take it easy.
did you end up doing the upper torque box too or just lower?
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #40
Road Trip!

I just did the lower.I got lazy lol.but wow it feels great.it just goes when you hit the go pedal.the upper plate on the lower reinforcment is a real pita.it may be worse in my car cause its a vert.I could of made it easier by removing the arm rest panel but I got it.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #41
Road Trip!

I only took a few pics but here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120325_214558.png
Views:	54
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	44951   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120325_214615.png
Views:	50
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	44952  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120325_214643.png
Views:	56
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	44953  
Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #42
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:

Welding those seams will help.

Take it easy? Yeah right.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #43
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I only took a few pics but here they are.
Looks good!

Nice welding skills too. I always have problems keeping the bead where I want it welding across and upside down.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

whats the best way to do the reinforcements bc i was thinking about backing up my rear tires on ramps and doing it i dont have access to any sort of lift just a floor jack and ramps
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #45
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Welding those seams will help.

Take it easy? Yeah right.
Haha.I just went around the looong block.and I got on it on the back road were there isn't many houses.my buddy that stayed at my house was said holy chit, because my 10 series are so loud.Lmao,oops.oh well hopefully my neigbors aren't to Pissed.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Quote:

Looks good!

Nice welding skills too. I always have problems keeping the bead where I want it welding across and upside down.
Thanx.that was actually the first time I got to use that welder to.

What was a real pain was tacking the relocation plates with the car on the ground since my car sits so low.so I just tacked them up good and jacked it back up to finish welding.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #46
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Haha.I just went around the looong block.and I got on it on the back road were there isn't many houses.my buddy that stayed at my house was said holy chit, because my 10 series are so loud.Lmao,oops.oh well hopefully my neigbors aren't to Pissed.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Thanx.that was actually the first time I got to use that welder to.

What was a real pain was tacking the relocation plates with the car on the ground since my car sits so low.so I just tacked them up good and jacked it back up to finish welding.
So did you get enough of a ride to feel the lift bars working?
Have a friend either drive the car or stand outside and watch when you/they take off.
You/they should be able to see the body of the car lift and push down on the rear tires.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #47
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody
whats the best way to do the reinforcements bc i was thinking about backing up my rear tires on ramps and doing it i dont have access to any sort of lift just a floor jack and ramps
What I did was put the car on Jack stands.you may not have to take the lower control arm off to do the reinforcement but I did because I was changing it.its not necessary to have a lift because you will need to be able to Jack the rear end up and down if you are changing the arm to remove shock bolt,coil spring and arm.if you arm leaving your arms you will still need to be able to Jack the rear up and down to remove the bolt.

Quote:

So did you get enough of a ride to feel the lift bars working?
Have a friend either drive the car or stand outside and watch when you/they take off.
You/they should be able to see the body of the car lift and push down on the rear tires.

[/COLOR]I didn't get a great feel for it yet.but I will have my buddy record it cause he isn't driving my baby.haha.but I did drive it enough to tell that it takes off a lot harder.as soon as I get my gauges on this week I will take it for a long drive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT