fab torque reinforcments and subframe connectors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
fab torque reinforcments and subframe connectors

88 gt covertible
ok here soon maybe this weekend im gonna start strengthen my suspension.i already have kyb shocks installed.i have umi lift bars to install.and i want to:reinforce the torque boxes.fab subframe connectors,and maybe box the stock upper control arms.

1-with only installing the UMI lowers, do i need to reinforce the upper toque boxes or just the lower boxes?

2-does anyone have dimensions for the reinforcements?i was wondering because with the equiptment i have at work i could cut all the parts in a 1/4 of the time it would take in the garage.i did find this http://pomoforacing.com/tech/TBR.pdf.but it doesnt say much of what it is besides reinforcments.i think its just the lower but not positive.

3-what are the best mounting points for the subframes?i ask because ive heard that some weld to the floor pans also.i dont want to weld to my floor pans because i dont want to mess up my carpet.so if it does is it neccesarry?also should the connectors tie into the torque boxxes?

any help like dimensions,verifications,and/or pics of there setups even if they were bought or fabbed would greatly help.also is there anything else i need to be aware of?i have not done these jobs before but i am a very good fabricator so it shouldnt be to bad.thanx
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: fab torque reinforcments and subframe connectors

i dont have UMI lower control arms but id say just reinforce the whole thing i bought my kit on ebay for i believe 70$ upper and lower and a sh*t-ton of hardware with it

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

and we both have torque box threads going im just gonna post this here...any clue how these work: 1979-1993 MUSTANG TORQUE BOX SET ADJUSTABLE HEAVY DUTY | eBay
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Road Trip!

no i dont know.looks very interseting though

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

do you have any pics of your kit?

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

i shouldnt need any hardware because i plan on welding everything.if i do ill get it from work.we have all size grade 8 bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i dont currently have any the soonest i could have em is by sunday their at my dads house and i have his wake tomorrow and funeral saturday then sunday im getting my parts from his house

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
no i dont know.looks very interseting though

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

do you have any pics of your kit?

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

i shouldnt need any hardware because i plan on welding everything.if i do ill get it from work.we have all size grade 8 bolts.
im gonna bolt em and then weld em anyways since ill have the welder out for the whole new box
Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Road Trip!

no problem.im sure i can find some more on the web.i was just wondering if they were similiar to the schematic in the link i had.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
no problem.im sure i can find some more on the web.i was just wondering if they were similiar to the schematic in the link i had.
this is the exact one i ordered idk if itll help..: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Road Trip!

actually it does help. thanx. i also found this that may help both of us

http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-...-in-today.html
Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
actually it does help. thanx. i also found this that may help both of us

Torque box reinforcements in today! - MustangForums.com
that actually did help thanks

makes me wonder if i should look into those fancy ones on ebay

also the uppers seem like a pain in the @$$. at least my exhaust wont get in the way and right now i have the stock upper arms but i was looking into lakewood upper&lower and traction bars so idk how rough they are on the boxes
Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Road Trip!

i am gonna keep my uppers and strengthen them.i will probably box them in.or at least weld some tabs across them.i dont have them now but i may just put some good bushings in there to.that way i will get the benifits of a better quality arm and not spend much money.boxxing them in will reduce flex.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i am gonna keep my uppers and strengthen them.i will probably box them in.or at least weld some tabs across them.i dont have them now but i may just put some good bushings in there to.that way i will get the benifits of a better quality arm and not spend much money.boxxing them in will reduce flex.
i just hope it wont be too much of a pain in the @$$ bc ill be welding a whole new lower torque box in reinforcing both lowers and uppers and maybe doing the lakewood arms and traction bars never installed any of these b4 or even watched em be installed so itll be rough but i think enough reading and how to vids should be good lol
Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody

i just hope it wont be too much of a pain in the @$$ bc ill be welding a whole new lower torque box in reinforcing both lowers and uppers and maybe doing the lakewood arms and traction bars never installed any of these b4 or even watched em be installed so itll be rough but i think enough reading and how to vids should be good lol
That's what I do: YouTube,Google and ME
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's what I do: YouTube,Google and ME
thats why i post so many questions on here and now that i dont have my dad to ask there will be alot more posted
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Road Trip!

yeah that sux.but we dont mind the questions,so dont worry about that.most of the stuff i know i thought myself.the best way to learn is to get in there and do it.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

yeah thats what im trying to do
Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Ok hopefully the schematic was accurate cause I fabbed then up already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120323_082530.png
Views:	360
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	44695  
Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
88 gt covertible
ok here soon maybe this weekend im gonna start strengthen my suspension.i already have kyb shocks installed.i have umi lift bars to install.and i want to:reinforce the torque boxes.fab subframe connectors,and maybe box the stock upper control arms.

1-with only installing the UMI lowers, do i need to reinforce the upper toque boxes or just the lower boxes?

2-does anyone have dimensions for the reinforcements?i was wondering because with the equiptment i have at work i could cut all the parts in a 1/4 of the time it would take in the garage.i did find this http://pomoforacing.com/tech/TBR.pdf.but it doesnt say much of what it is besides reinforcments.i think its just the lower but not positive.

3-what are the best mounting points for the subframes?i ask because ive heard that some weld to the floor pans also.i dont want to weld to my floor pans because i dont want to mess up my carpet.so if it does is it neccesarry?also should the connectors tie into the torque boxxes?

any help like dimensions,verifications,and/or pics of there setups even if they were bought or fabbed would greatly help.also is there anything else i need to be aware of?i have not done these jobs before but i am a very good fabricator so it shouldnt be to bad.thanx
Just the lower boxes UNLESS you will be doing a lot of racing and running slicks or you change the uppers to a more solid style like rod ends or steel or aluminum bushings.

Subframe connectors should extend from the rear frame rails to the front frame rails and have a provision to help support the back set of bolts on the front seats. The tubes should be bent and conformed to the floor boards for better looks and clearance. You will need to reinforce the rails at the bend points with some flat plate. You do not need to weld them to the floor boards.

Like I said in another thread, I completely removed my old torque boxes and using them for measurements I fabbed up a new set out of 3/16" steel plate. They won't ever fail and I don't need to strengthen them. They are welded solidly to the inner frame rail and the outer.....crap! I forgot what it's called, but they are welded solidly to it.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Sweet. That's the info I needed.I knew you would come through.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Sweet. That's the info I needed.I knew you would come through.
Tired and groggy, but I'm here. Had to make a 300 mile trip to the docs the other day and that just about does me in each time. Takes a few to recover.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
Road Trip!

I bet it does!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Here's a few pics of what I did to my lower torque boxes. I don't know if they'll help, but they can't hurt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TB 8.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	44696   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB A6.jpg
Views:	4401
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	44697  

Name:	TB A3.jpg
Views:	4264
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	44698   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB A5.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	44699  

Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Very nice fabrication! They look pretty stout.thanx for sharing.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Very nice fabrication! They look pretty stout.thanx for sharing.
After crumpling the original, I went a bit overboard to ensure that didn't happen again.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #23
Road Trip!

One more question.does the sway bar mount to the lift bars like the original arms?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
One more question.does the sway bar mount to the lift bars like the original arms?
Yes it should.
You can see the end of one of the sway bar mounts on my Southsides in the picture above. As long as yours has those it should bolt right up.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Ok good.thanx again.I'm gonna get on it tonight.so we'll see how it goes.I probably won't get it done in one day but I should get a good jump on it.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #26
Road Trip!

ok.my gas on my welder is empty.i got ready to weld when i noticed. . now im broke till next week. so i guess project is on temporary hold.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
ok.my gas on my welder is empty.i got ready to weld when i noticed. . now im broke till next week. so i guess project is on temporary hold.
What are you using MIG?
Gas?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Yeah. Copper coated.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

I have a stick welder also but would rather wait.and I'm not big on the gassless wire.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah. Copper coated.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

I have a stick welder also but would rather wait.and I'm not big on the gassless wire.
Me neither. It just does not work very well.

What gas are you using?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
Road Trip!

i use 75/25 argon
Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
i use 75/25 argon
For a cheaper gas you do know you can use CO2 don't you?
The weld isn't quite as pretty, but it will burn in deeper.

P.S. You can also pick up a spare bottle of CO2 from the Pepsi/Coke delivery guys in a pinch.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #32
Road Trip!

haha good tip.

yeah ive used just co2 .but im not a big fan.it works ok but i prefer the 75/25.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

in the mean time while im waiting im probably gonna get on hooking up my gauge pod.once i get these 2 projects done ill be on the road
Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #33
Road Trip!

hey can i make the size of the big inside plate smaller? i honestly will never need to mount a cage to it.and i dont want to weld that much in the inside of my car.i spent way to much time on the interior to risk getting spatter everywhere.the instructions do say i dont have to weld,is that ok.i still want to weld the bottom and the seems that need it but i dont want to weld the inside plate.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

I always had this hunch that my car was lowered.and when I took off the coil spring I noticed it was cut.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #34
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
hey can i make the size of the big inside plate smaller? i honestly will never need to mount a cage to it.and i dont want to weld that much in the inside of my car.i spent way to much time on the interior to risk getting spatter everywhere.the instructions do say i dont have to weld,is that ok.i still want to weld the bottom and the seems that need it but i dont want to weld the inside plate.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

I always had this hunch that my car was lowered.and when I took off the coil spring I noticed it was cut.
I don't know why you couldn't.
There are several bolt on only kits, I usually weld just because it's my preference and to me it just "feels" safer.

Are you sure you don't ever want to add even a 4-point bar?
It will help protect occupants and further stiffen the flimsy chassis of the vert.
We are going to put one in my daughter's convertible and add some bar pads to further protect occupants and improve the looks of them.

So are you looking into spring replacement now?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #35
Road Trip!

i honestly dont think i will add the bar.i just dont like the look.but just incase i could just leave the plate full size and not weld right?my concern with my interior is i have freshly covered rear seats even though they should come out,new glass,painted interior quarter panels, new carpet,new seats,new top,new door panels, etc etc.basicaly everything is brand new or freshly painted and i dont want to risk anything.i will still take caution when i weld the bottom though.

i am fine with the springs being cut.they did a good job at least and are identical height.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT