Electric fan - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Electric fan

Am considering an electric fan. Is the Benefit worth the work?
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Yes, I put an electric fan on my 91 and you could feel the power that it freed up

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Just make sure it's on while driving... I forgot to once and almost over heated my engine lol

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Btw I did that when I was 18 and still green in the way of cars. It was fairly easy

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Okay I was just going to get a universal one from the parts store
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Electric fan

well make sure you get one with a relay and thermostat switch. so that the fan shuts off on the highway and only comes on when the car needs it.

your battery and alternator will thank you for it.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Yes it is well worth the effort.
You can recover as much as 20 HP by installing an electric fan.
Now note that, that is not 20 HP all the time, but at the RPM range where the stock fan takes the most HP to spin. Overall gains will likely be in the 5-10 HP recovered range.

If you buy a factory made control system you should be ok, but if you assemble your own you will need to install a one way diode at the fan motor. The reason for this is that when power is removed from a DC motor it can turn into a generator and spike current back into your electrical system wreaking havoc on electronic components.

You should also oversize the relays that will be feeding power to your fan motor(s).
While the running amperage may be only 20-30 amps, the start up amperage can spike to as high as 70 amps. Spikes like that every time the motor starts up will soon destroy a relay sized for the running amperage values. I have used 70-75 amp relays on my fans ever since I first discovered this issue years ago and that has prevented me from having any issues with the relays in the systems I have assembled and wired since then.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Ive made a very basic wiring schematic for an electical radiator fan. It does not include a diode (I heard it was optional/not needed ) Anyway, hopefully it will help a little bit

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3621359273.png
Views:	2480
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	45114

The switch is being powered by the yellow accessory wire from the radio. That way the fan cannot be turned on unless the key is in the on position. It also has no temp switch, so its completely manual. The switch is only there in case, for some reason, you wish to have the fan off. Otherwise just leave it on and you'll never have to worry about it.
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc View Post
Ive made a very basic wiring schematic for an electical radiator fan. It does not include a diode (I heard it was optional/not needed ) Anyway, hopefully it will help a little bit

The switch is being powered by the yellow accessory wire from the radio. That way the fan cannot be turned on unless the key is in the on position. It also has no temp switch, so its completely manual. The switch is only there in case, for some reason, you wish to have the fan off. Otherwise just leave it on and you'll never have to worry about it.
It is optional, if you don't care or are not worried about possibly destroying other expensive electronic components. The choice is entirely up to you.

Me, I won't take that chance when I can install such a small, simple, inexpensive wiring device that will prevent it.

Your diagram will work, but it is much better to have a thermostatically controlled fan. It will allow the engine to reach operating temperature sooner and drastically cut down on the operating time of your fan greatly increasing its life span and cut down on the current draw from your battery and charging system, thereby also increasing their life span. Plus a thermostat won't forget to turn your fan on or off as needed.

Also, by wiring the fan separate from the key switch and keeping the system powered all the time you can use a switch to manually activate the fan for cool downs in between races if you race. That way you don't have to power up everything else that is powered through the key switch or leave the car running.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking at a fan on late model says its a direct bolt on and a has switch built in and comes with wiring it's only 150 bills
Old 03-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue View Post
I was looking at a fan on late model says its a direct bolt on and a has switch built in and comes with wiring it's only 150 bills
That's a good price.
Thermostatic switch?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
This is what I use.its 40 something $ at summit racing.just incase the fan doesn't come with the relay and thermostatic control.just remember whatever fan you get needs to be atleast 2300-2600 cfm to cool properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120327_140053.png
Views:	352
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	45121  
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
This is what I use.its 40 something $ at summit racing.just incase the fan doesn't come with the relay and thermostatic control.just remember whatever fan you get needs to be atleast 2300-2600 cfm to cool properly.
Does have the switch and 2800 cfm I believe is the flow, I feel as If the stock fan isn't cooling as well either is it true a electric fan will cool
Much better
Old 03-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Does have the switch and 2800 cfm I believe is the flow, I feel as If the stock fan isn't cooling as well either is it true a electric fan will cool
Much better
With a good thermostatic control I believe they do a much better job of maintaining the proper engine operating temperature than an engine driven fan.
I have changed out many of my vehicles in the past to electric fans and always have had great results from doing so.
One was a built 429 Ford F150 pickup, that I would estimate at around 600 flywheel HP. The engine performed much better and felt a lot more responsive without the engine driven fan. It was my Vette & Camaro killer, sleeper truck. Looked like any other old farm truck on the road, but boy did it ever run good. Gives me goosebumps just remembering driving and playing with it.

Now about that engine driven water pump........
Old 03-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue

Much better
A clutch fan is usually better.but there are electric fans that are better

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

With a good thermostatic control I believe they do a much better job of maintaining the proper engine operating temperature than an engine driven fan.
I have changed out many of my vehicles in the past to electric fans and always have had great results from doing so.
One was a built 429 Ford F150 pickup, that I would estimate at around 600 flywheel HP. The engine performed much better and felt a lot more responsive without the engine driven fan. It was my Vette & Camaro killer, sleeper truck. Looked like any other old farm truck on the road, but boy did it ever run good. Gives me goosebumps just remembering driving and playing with it.

Now about that engine driven water pump........
I agree that they maybe more consistent, but I think that just switching to electric might not fix a cooling issue.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
A clutch fan is usually better.but there are electric fans that are better

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

I agree that they maybe more consistent, but I think that just switching to electric might not fix a cooling issue.
You are correct of course, I didn't mean to imply that they would.
Sorry, if that is how it came out.

The consistency is my biggest love for them.
Maintaining the proper engine temperatures, especially oil temp, is paramount in performance and longevity of your engine.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Road Trip!

I agree again. no you didn't really imply that.I was just kinda filling in the blanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I got a dual puller fan off a 98 v6 contour. Picked up a flex a lite fan control and works great.
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well that's what u mean maintain a better temp. I have a 180 thermostat
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well that's what u mean maintain a better temp. I have a 180 thermostat
I used to think the 180 degree T-stat was a good idea too.
After reading a Ford Performance book written by one of the designing engineers I have changed my mind about that particular mod. You are better off using the factory 190 or 195 degree T-stat and just buying a high flow model if you need extra cooling. They system was designed to work at those temperatures and a mostly street driven car won't see any real benefits from changing them. In fact the lower temp T-stats can cause fueling and driveability issues.

If I remember correctly the engine oil needs to be maintained at a minimum of 180 degrees for proper lubrication and protection. If it falls under that, over time you will experience increased engine wear and decreased performance.

An electric fan (and water pump if properly installed and you want to go that route) can do a better job of maintaining the proper operating temperatures without as much up and down temperature swings.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT