89 saleen - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I am getn bad vibrations from 4 to 5 thousand rpmhave checked everything in drivetrain bur it even does it in neutral any ideas would be appreciated. A few people have said harmonic balancer. Never heard of one going bad ?
Kenny laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I would say check
Motor mounts
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 89 saleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny laird View Post
I am getn bad vibrations from 4 to 5 thousand rpmhave checked everything in drivetrain bur it even does it in neutral any ideas would be appreciated. A few people have said harmonic balancer. Never heard of one going bad ?
Harmonic balancers can and do go bad. I have had several to fail over the years, the worst one vibrated so hard it actually cracked the snout that slides onto the crankshaft.
The inertia ring usually separates from the rubber holding it and slips which throws the balance off.

Also flywheels will sometimes crack around the mounting holes which makes them wobble and vibrate. However this issue is more prevalent on automatic transmission cars.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks i appreciate. It has actualy ruined a transmition from the vibration
Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks i appreciate. It has actualy ruined a transmition from the vibration
What transmission auto or manual?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Manual

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

The rubber in harmonic balancer looks to b pretty bad gonna replace it tonight
Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So put new harmonic balancer and still the same. I feal it mostly in the shifter itself Car drives good just between rhose high rpm shifter vibrates like crazy. Im wondering could the shifter itself be worn out and just vibrateing
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
So put new harmonic balancer and still the same. I feal it mostly in the shifter itself Car drives good just between rhose high rpm shifter vibrates like crazy. Im wondering could the shifter itself be worn out and just vibrateing
How does the clutch feel?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The clutch feels good when i took trans out the clutch looked good replaced pilot and throwout bearing the flywheel looked good but i didnt remove it
Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Do you have the factory driveshaft? If so they're known to vibrate at higher rpms. Is it a really bad vibration? Did u always have it or did it just start?
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #11

Region: Alabama

I hate to say this but from what you have said:

1) Happens at 4-5 thousand
2) Even in Neutral (This actually takes everything after the flywheel out)
3) Replaced the harmonic balancer (Did not fix it)

It sounds like something in the motor or on the front. I would check the following:

1) All my Acc on the front of the motor
2) Distibutor
3) Oil pump

These are the things that would be affected while the motor is in neutral. Good luck though. I will talk to a few friends and see if I get any other ideas.
onefst87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It is factory driveline. Its done it sence i bought the car about a year ago It had a bad trans in when i bought when i put a new used tranny in after 6 mounths the bolt threw the side of trans back out and shift forks fell off so got another tranny and have been tryn to figure out were vibration is coming from all new brakes rotars and wheel bearings pilot and through out bearings new stearing rack ball joints and tyrods all poly urethan mounts. Have tryed a couple dif drivelines. All used factory ones tough. Dont understand. Car runs great pulls hard Im wanting to put my supercharger back on but not till i can fig out this prob. I dont feel it in pedals or anything just feels like shifter is gonna come apart at high rpms. Thank so much for all the help

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Also have great oil presure
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Was there ever internal work done to motor such as rotating assembly? Maybe it wasn't balanced right?
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #14

What kind of Harmonic Balancer do you have? My 87 did that for a while and it was an engine balance issue. It sounds like something in the motor that is translating through the input shaft on the trans and comes out the handle. You could try something like a Fluid Dampner balancer and see if that works. Since you have tried numerous transmissions, new wheels and tires, brakes, and ball joints, that only really leaves the motor itself. I would not recomend adding the blower until you get that fixed. Try to take off the main belt and crank the car. If it still does it then all the acc are fine. Does it do it riding down the road and sitting still?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

No it only does it when i put my foot in it Othern than that it drive fine i can ride down the freeway at about 3 thousand rpm and rides totaly smooth. No motor work Its actualy amotor out of a 93. Do u think u could b the flywheel itself. Only thing i havent touched far as trans assembly goes

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

I just used a stock harmonic balancer from napa auto
Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #16

Pretty sure it is not the flywheel. I would try getting a Fluid Dampner balancer first and see how that helps. Did you say that it only does it while driving it or will it do that while sitting still and in neutral?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

U can feel it in neutral to
Old 03-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #18

If it happens in neutral while sitting still then I would say you can cut out from the flywheel back. I would look at the front of the engine and get rid of that POS stock balancer. After you do that then let us know if it still does it. Oh yea don't forget to try taking the belt off and see if it still does it. This will eliminate all the other rotating things on the front of the motor. I would do this at home in the driveway first. It is free and easy. Just don't run the car too long like that, because the water pump is not running and that thing will get hot fast.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks so much
Old 03-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefst87
If it happens in neutral while sitting still then I would say you can cut out from the flywheel back. I would look at the front of the engine and get rid of that POS stock balancer. After you do that then let us know if it still does it. Oh yea don't forget to try taking the belt off and see if it still does it. This will eliminate all the other rotating things on the front of the motor. I would do this at home in the driveway first. It is free and easy. Just don't run the car too long like that, because the water pump is not running and that thing will get hot fast.
That's good advice,but I don't think you can totally rule out the fly wheel.if the flywheel has a crack in it it very well could make a vibration noise at high rpms.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
That's good advice,but I don't think you can totally rule out the fly wheel.if the flywheel has a crack in it it very well could make a vibration noise at high rpms.
+1
Or if it is an aftermarket that has a bolt on weight, the weight may have came off.

A severely worn out pilot bearing could also cause vibration in the input shaft of the transmission.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
+1
Or if it is an aftermarket that has a bolt on weight, the weight may have came off.

A severely worn out pilot bearing could also cause vibration in the input shaft of the transmission.
He said he looked at the flywheel and it did not look cracked. but that could still be a problem. I like the pilot bearing theory. If he changes the flywheel he might as well change that too. I would still start at the front since you ahve already been going through most of the back. Then I would pull the flywheel and replace it with a good one. While that is off you might as well replace the pilot bearing. You will be there anyway. This should give you engough for at least a weekend.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefst87 View Post
He said he looked at the flywheel and it did not look cracked. but that could still be a problem. I like the pilot bearing theory. If he changes the flywheel he might as well change that too. I would still start at the front since you ahve already been going through most of the back. Then I would pull the flywheel and replace it with a good one. While that is off you might as well replace the pilot bearing. You will be there anyway. This should give you engough for at least a weekend.
Since he has replaced the balancer and he still has the issue, it almost has to be something in the clutch area. Were it internal, something would have surely let go by now.

I also have to wonder if that engine hasn't been replaced and it has the wrong balancer and flywheel on it.
Maybe it has 28 oz imbalance internals instead of the 50 oz imbalance?
I know for a fact that will shake the crap out of them.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Mine does the same thing. The shifter vibrates at high rpms. But it just does it when i'm driving.but my pinion bearing is bad in the rear.
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Someone had said something about marking the driveline when u remove so it doesent go back on outa time. Never heard of this
Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Someone had said something about marking the driveline when u remove so it doesent go back on outa time. Never heard of this
Yes, that is true.
If you do not and it gets installed "out of time" it will vibrate.
The cure is to remove it and turn it 180 degrees then reinstall it.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks again. I have only asked a few things but the answers to my ? Have all been more than answerd thanks so much for your time and input this forum kicks ***
Old 04-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks again. I have only asked a few things but the answers to my ? Have all been more than answerd thanks so much for your time and input this forum kicks ***
You are welcome.
We do our best to help when we can.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. So i have tried everything suggested. Only thing i havent done is the flywheel so gonna pull trans and get a brand new flywheel i realy hope this does it i am so frustated
Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #30

Region: Canada

I've put a 28oz flywheel on with 50oz upfront to see what would happen an it shaked all the time I've seen a car with a problem that at 4000 rpm can't hang on to shifter an it the bolts on pressure plate were missing an different sizes all our bolts an washers need to be same size an there
Rwcmustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

So finaly got around to swaping out flywheel problem solved. Thanks for all the help
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #32
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
So finaly got around to swaping out flywheel problem solved. Thanks for all the help
Glad you got it taken care of.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Awsome !!!!!!!!!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #34

Region: Wisconsin
Nice job working through it!
351WMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Now can finaly move on to getn the blower back on

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT