Voltmeter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ohdang1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 84
Voltmeter

So im not new to the mustang world. In fact this is my second 88 gt. but i need some help. when i start the car it starts strong and the volts are right where they should be, but once it warms up it starts acting wierd. the volts will sometimes drop very low and even dangerously low when the lights are on. Ive never owned an automatic but it does it the worst when i put it in reverse. Ive changed the battery, alternator, and pigtail for the alternator. my guess is there is a short somewhere. Im just wondering if anybody else has ever had this problem and could maybe give me a few tips on where to look first. it idles fine but also bucks a little when at cruising speed but accelerates and slows down fine.
Ohdang1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Voltmeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohdang1990 View Post
So im not new to the mustang world. In fact this is my second 88 gt. but i need some help. when i start the car it starts strong and the volts are right where they should be, but once it warms up it starts acting wierd. the volts will sometimes drop very low and even dangerously low when the lights are on. Ive never owned an automatic but it does it the worst when i put it in reverse. Ive changed the battery, alternator, and pigtail for the alternator. my guess is there is a short somewhere. Im just wondering if anybody else has ever had this problem and could maybe give me a few tips on where to look first. it idles fine but also bucks a little when at cruising speed but accelerates and slows down fine.
Do you have under drive pulleys?
Have you checked all of your ground connections?
Is the idle set to the correct specification?
Is your under wear too tight?
Have you checked and cleaned the IAC?
Have you checked and cleaned the MAF?
Have you checked the intake and vacuum connections for leaks?
Have you ever replaced the TPS?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ohdang1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 84
Re: Voltmeter

i dont have under drive pulleys and i dont have MAF and ive checkedfor vac leaks and my underwear seems to be fine. Ill try the rest of that stuff. thanks a lot
Ohdang1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Voltmeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohdang1990 View Post
i dont have under drive pulleys and i dont have MAF and ive checkedfor vac leaks and my underwear seems to be fine. Ill try the rest of that stuff. thanks a lot
You're welcome the underwear line was just a joke.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ohdang1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 84
Re: Voltmeter

so turns out that i do have under drive pulleys. but onlyfor the harmonic balancer and waterpump and there wasnt an under drive pulley on the alt that i replaced
Ohdang1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
95v686gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 813
Check for a bad battery cable. See if you can bend it, if it feels brittle replace it.
__________________
1995 V6 Mustang= Divorced Duals, Flowmaster 2 chambers, NO CATS, Raxiom Halo Projector headlights, Smoked Tails, 17 inch Bullitt Wheels
1997 Mustang GT: 4.6L DOHC http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t305270/
1986 Mustang GT= Built 302 SOLD
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Voltmeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohdang1990 View Post
so turns out that i do have under drive pulleys. but onlyfor the harmonic balancer and waterpump and there wasnt an under drive pulley on the alt that i replaced
I'd replace all of them with stock pulleys, but that's your choice.
It would possibly alleviate any future cooling or charging issues.
The balancer pulley may still be slowing down your alternator as it is the "drive" pulley for all of the other "driven" components.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I'd replace all of them with stock pulleys, but that's your choice.
It would possibly alleviate any future cooling or charging issues.
The balancer pulley may still be slowing down your alternator as it is the "drive" pulley for all of the other "driven" components.
+1. As I started reading through this my first thought was ud pulleys.then you posted it.then as he stated more I was thinking still the crank pulley, and then you stated that.lol.you beat me to the punch. Lol I would go back to stock also.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ohdang1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 84
Thanks a lot everybody. I'm feeling pretty confident that it is the pulleys. Anybody know a good place to get the stock set for cheap?
Ohdang1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
95v686gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 813
Try a pull a part or a local shop might have some just laying around.
__________________
1995 V6 Mustang= Divorced Duals, Flowmaster 2 chambers, NO CATS, Raxiom Halo Projector headlights, Smoked Tails, 17 inch Bullitt Wheels
1997 Mustang GT: 4.6L DOHC http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t305270/
1986 Mustang GT= Built 302 SOLD
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:30 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.