msd distributor gear - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
msd distributor gear

i listed a wanted add on another forum.i need a steel dizzy gear for a msd dizzy.it comes with the cast gear but does not work for hydraulic roller cam.any ways the gear needs to be .466 inside diameter.i got a potential seller who says that he has one off a brand new msd dizzy that he took off because he needed brass for his 351w.

so my question is since mine came with cast iron why did his come with steel.i did ask him if it was cast iron and he said it was steel.then are the dizzys the same for 302 and 351? because if i search for 351 distributor gears i get some hits that say inside diameter of .531

i think he sounds legit because i think the .531 is the stock dizzy shaft diameter.i do know my msd has a smaller shaft diameter than my stock one did.so that could explain that.then he said his 351 was newer than mine.so do new model 351 msd dizzys come with the steel gear on them? i just want to verify i am geting the right part.i did ask him some more questions but its good to have an outside opinion.i will also call msd tomorow.i hope this works out because it will save me about half on the price of buying else where. thanx
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I thought all MSD gears were steel
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Nope.comes with cast iron on it.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
re: msd distributor gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
i listed a wanted add on another forum.i need a steel dizzy gear for a msd dizzy.it comes with the cast gear but does not work for hydraulic roller cam.any ways the gear needs to be .466 inside diameter.i got a potential seller who says that he has one off a brand new msd dizzy that he took off because he needed brass for his 351w.

so my question is since mine came with cast iron why did his come with steel.i did ask him if it was cast iron and he said it was steel.then are the dizzys the same for 302 and 351? because if i search for 351 distributor gears i get some hits that say inside diameter of .531

i think he sounds legit because i think the .531 is the stock dizzy shaft diameter.i do know my msd has a smaller shaft diameter than my stock one did.so that could explain that.then he said his 351 was newer than mine.so do new model 351 msd dizzys come with the steel gear on them? i just want to verify i am geting the right part.i did ask him some more questions but its good to have an outside opinion.i will also call msd tomorow.i hope this works out because it will save me about half on the price of buying else where. thanx
I think your distributor came with a cast iron gear because it was meant to be used on the older 302 engines that did not have the roller cam.

My MSD distributor the #8456 5.0L Pro-Billet comes with a steel gear because it is meant to be used on the roller cam engines. What is the model number of your distributor?

One thing I have noticed is that on the 5.0 and 351W distributors they specifically talk about the "oversized" shaft. So now I'm wondering why yours is smaller?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Road Trip!

i think you are absolutly right.i questioned the guy that was gonna sell me the the other gear and he said it was .531 inside diameter and mine is .466 the older style distributors must have a smaller shaft.

the part number is 8582
Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

re: msd distributor gear

Quote:
i think you are absolutly right.i questioned the guy that was gonna sell me the the other gear and he said it was .531 inside diameter and mine is .466 the older style distributors must have a smaller shaft.

the part number is 8582
The gear for your distributor is listed as a .468" ID on the MSD website.
The page on the MSD website for your distributor does not say anything about an oversized shaft, but it also says nothing about under sized, therefore I am confused as to why they did that?

I know it will cost you more, but you will probably be better off getting a steel gear from MSD. Don't let them talk you into a bronze gear unless it is your only choice. They wear to quickly to suit me and I don't like the idea of all those particles roaming around in the engine.

I have compiled all of the information I can find on the MSD site for your distributor into a single PDF file that I will try to attach here. If you cannot access it and would like to have it you can PM me your email addy and I will email it to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MSD 8582 Dist.pdf (644.6 KB, 1689 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Road Trip!

This is the one I need
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-85833

I appreciate the help.I have talked to msd and they said I could use the bronze.but it would need replaced more often.and I'm like you,where does the shavings go.since the gear is so expensive is why I was trying to source it. I will check out the PDF as soon as you have it up. Thanx again.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Re: msd distributor gear

Quote:
This is the one I need
MSD Ignition 85833 - MSD Steel Distributor Gears - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I appreciate the help.I have talked to msd and they said I could use the bronze.but it would need replaced more often.and I'm like you,where does the shavings go.since the gear is so expensive is why I was trying to source it. I will check out the PDF as soon as you have it up. Thanx again.
The PDF is there, but you may need to be on a PC to access it?

The worst thing about the bronze gear is that the particles are not magnetic and will get spread throughout the engine.
That's fine for a race engine that is more frequently rebuilt, but I wouldn't want to deal with it in a street driven car.

I would go ahead with your original fix and just try to ensure that it is accurate.
You may be able to source a bushing from McMaster-Carr or other machine tool place if you don't have the tools to ensure your bushing is square and accurate.

That would be less expensive than buying a new gear maybe?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The PDF is there, but you may need to be on a PC to access it?

The worst thing about the bronze gear is that the particles are not magnetic and will get spread throughout the engine.
That's fine for a race engine that is more frequently rebuilt, but I wouldn't want to deal with it in a street driven car.

I would go ahead with your original fix and just try to ensure that it is accurate.
You may be able to source a bushing from McMaster-Carr or other machine tool place if you don't have the tools to ensure your bushing is square and accurate.

That would be less expensive than buying a new gear maybe?
Actually that would be a good idea.but since the teeth already started to wear I don't want to put it back in.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

I can view the PDF on my phone.I just had to open the browser instead of the app to see the link.thanx.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Actually that would be a good idea.but since the teeth already started to wear I don't want to put it back in.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

I can view the PDF on my phone.I just had to open the browser instead of the app to see the link.thanx.
That may have been from slight misalignment. If it is not to bad it may still be usable?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Maybe.ill look into it.ill Mic my old shaft.and the inside diameter should be .468 right? I'm guess the outside diameter would be ..531 but ill check.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

Yes it is .531.

That is so close to needing a 15/32 to 17/32 bushing.hmmm....that may work if I press it in.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Maybe.ill look into it.ill Mic my old shaft.and the inside diameter should be .468 right? I'm guess the outside diameter would be ..531 but ill check.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

Yes it is .531.

That is so close to needing a 15/32 to 17/32 bushing.hmmm....that may work if I press it in.
Yes, and you can get small hones/reamers to fit the inside diameter once it is pressed in.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Road Trip!

It's not looking good.I called McMaster and google searched 17/32 od bushing. and can't find anything.it seems as if when bushings get over 1/2 they change in size by 1/16"s.but I will look a little more.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
It's not looking good.I called McMaster and google searched 17/32 od bushing. and can't find anything.it seems as if when bushings get over 1/2 they change in size by 1/16"s.but I will look a little more.
Do some conversion figuring and check the metric sizes?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
Road Trip!

I am trying to wheel and deal a really nice rack and pinion I have laying around right now.if I sell that I can get the gear.lol
Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I am trying to wheel and deal a really nice rack and pinion I have laying around right now.if I sell that I can get the gear.lol
Reminds me that I sold my Comp Polymers intake last night and I need to mark it sold in the Classifieds.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
Road Trip!

i totally forgot i had this thing.its the 15:1 ratio and aluminum.so this guy asks does anyone know where to get a cheap aluminum rack.then i remembered i had it.hopefully he want it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT