major intake help needed. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
major intake help needed.

Ol. I bought a used gt 40 upper and lower. Installed them on the car when I started it there was a terrible leak sound. Removed the upper to find out I have a internal egr lower and external egr upper. If I buy a phenolic spacer with no egr hole will this fix my problem. Thanks in advance.
robert3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: major intake help needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert3188 View Post
Ol. I bought a used gt 40 upper and lower. Installed them on the car when I started it there was a terrible leak sound. Removed the upper to find out I have a internal egr lower and external egr upper. If I buy a phenolic spacer with no egr hole will this fix my problem. Thanks in advance.
Maybe.

Pictures?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

See there is no runner in the center on the upper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120406_052102.png
Views:	103
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	46105

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120406_052017.png
Views:	116
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	46104
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

i dont think a phenolic spacer will plug it... there would be nothing on the upper intake to help seal it off/ hold it down, because of the hollow space on the upper... if im making any sense here...

i would use a large bolt and sum jb weld to make a plug and seal it off. there is a hollow space on the upper, so you should have plenty room to do that.

thats just my opinion though... im sure someone here will disagree with me.. lol

but that's wut i would do...

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
i dont think a phenolic spacer will plug it... there would be nothing on the upper intake to help seal it off/ hold it down, because of the hollow space on the upper... if im making any sense here...

i would use a large bolt and sum jb weld to make a plug and seal it off. there is a hollow space on the upper, so you should have plenty room to do that.

thats just my opinion though... im sure someone here will disagree with me.. lol

Sounds like the easiest/cheapest fix to me.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post

I won't!

My cure is similar, but more involved.
Since you are dealing with hot exhaust gases I would tap the hole with pipe threads and put a pipe plug in it. You can get hex or square drive plugs so they don't stick up so far.
Any competent plumbing shop should be able to tap the hole, or buying a tap isn't all that expensive.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I won't!

My cure is similar, but more involved.
Since you are dealing with hot exhaust gases I would tap the hole with pipe threads and put a pipe plug in it. You can get hex or square drive plugs so they don't stick up so far.
Any competent plumbing shop should be able to tap the hole, or buying a tap isn't all that expensive.
cheese and rice... where do you come up with this stuff? lol. ive been using that method to plug egr ports in the back of the heads for years. when i port a set of heads thats one of the first things i do. ive never had a failure on 3 supercharged engines...

im sure it would hold up for his application as well..lol.

even though i do like the pipe plug idea. but tapping the hole is a lil bit overkill....i.m.o.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a ton guys. Jb welded it yesterday. Gonna try it later on. And trojan I like ur idea the best but I'd have to pull the intake back off the car to do that. I'll let yall kno how it turns out!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
cheese and rice... where do you come up with this stuff? lol. ive been using that method to plug egr ports in the back of the heads for years. when i port a set of heads thats one of the first things i do. ive never had a failure on 3 supercharged engines...

im sure it would hold up for his application as well..lol.

even though i do like the pipe plug idea. but tapping the hole is a lil bit overkill....i.m.o.
When I said "I won't", I meant I won't disagree with you.
I used to be a plumber and electrician among many other things.
I also use the 5/8"x 11 bolts to plug the EGR holes.
I am sure it would hold up too, just offering another option.
I do usually go for a bit of overkill.
In my defense however, I very seldom have to do anything I have done over again.
The pipe plugs I'm talking about have recessed hex or square drive holes in them, so you can use an allen wrench or ratchet drive to tighten them.
If the hole is threaded they can be installed almost flush and will make a neater longer lasting job of it I think. Now to most people that may not be important, but we all have our little idiosyncrasies I suppose.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT