need help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
need help!

Well my car was running decent. But I wanted to bump the timing up. So I went ahead and pulled the dizzy to check it out. I stabed the dizzy two different times once at 0 tdc and the other time at 10 atdc but I can't get it to start. I was going to check for spark but I don't have nothing to do it by myself. Have to wait for one of my friends to come around. But I hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key on but if I turn the key on then directly push the scrader vavle down on the fuel rail only a little squirt comes out with the key on. Shouldn't a good stream with some pressure behind it come out ? But it sounds normal priming up. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt
Well my car was running decent. But I wanted to bump the timing up. So I went ahead and pulled the dizzy to check it out. I stabed the dizzy two different times once at 0 tdc and the other time at 10 atdc but I can't get it to start. I was going to check for spark but I don't have nothing to do it by myself. Have to wait for one of my friends to come around. But I hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key on but if I turn the key on then directly push the scrader vavle down on the fuel rail only a little squirt comes out with the key on. Shouldn't a good stream with some pressure behind it come out ? But it sounds normal priming up. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.
It won't be a stream, just a big squirt(that's what she said), question, why did you pull the dizzy to change the timing? Just needed to loosen the half inch bolt that keeps it from moving and turn it a little one way or the other. Sounds like you are way outta time. Pull the number one plug, should be passenger side head, very first plug behind the alt, now put a long enough screwdriver in it and turn the engine over by hand with a rachet and socket on the crank pulley bolt, check to see if the screwdriver is touching the top of the piston with it all the way up. Next you will want to find where the number 1 plug wire is on the dist cap, pull the dizzy and when you put it back in you want the rotor button to be pointing directly at it. Once you get that, tighten it back down and give it a shot.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
That's excatly what I did. Number one is tdc in compression stroke. The only reason I took it out is cuz last time I put it in I rearranged the wires on the cap cuz I couldn't get numberone spark plug wire on where the number one Is marked on the cap so I just rearranged the wires. I hears that's ok and then again I've heard when u change number one from where it's marked on the cap origianlly then that would mess up your injector timing. But I've installed distributors b4 and I have it right on. It should atleast start and backfire or something if it was out of time. But where the rotor is pointing is where I started the number one plug wire on the cap and went from there. But when I push the valve down it only squirts mabye one inch out if the valve. I've put the dizzy in like 4 times already and it won't hit a lick so it must just be a considence. But I have a fuel pump I haven't put In yet so if I have spark I guess I'm goinn to install the pump tomorrow. But thanks I apprieiate your advice
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Do you have a chiltons or Haynes manual? Those can be your best friends at times like this.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: need help!

More than likely you have a broken wire or incomplete connection. Your TFI may have shorted out and failed.
Test according to instructions in your manual.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
Well I got it running but I'm ashamed to say it. That whole time I thought I had the connector plugged up to the dizzy and it was unpluged lol. I plugged it up and it fired right up. But that still don't explain y gas only comes out a little bit when I push the vavle down
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt View Post
Well I got it running but I'm ashamed to say it. That whole time I thought I had the connector plugged up to the dizzy and it was unpluged lol. I plugged it up and it fired right up. But that still don't explain y gas only comes out a little bit when I push the vavle down
So my "incomplete connection" guess was correct.
The valve core may be bent or damaged and obstructing the flow.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt
Well I got it running but I'm ashamed to say it. That whole time I thought I had the connector plugged up to the dizzy and it was unpluged lol. I plugged it up and it fired right up. But that still don't explain y gas only comes out a little bit when I push the vavle down
Yes it does.you were only getting the fuel pump to prime, which it will doe withought the icm. But the icm(ignition control module) tells the ecm when to turn on the fuel pump.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
Yeah trogan horse your guess was really close like always. And I thank u for always trying to answer my questions. My car runs to smooth to have real low pressure. So I say the valve may be clogged up. I remember a while back I went to depressurise the fuel and went and push the valve down and hardly nothin came out. I really thought thst was strange. So I took my regulator off to replace it and when I pulled it off gas went everywhere. So in my case how would I go about depressurisung the fuel system if my vavle is not workin right. Another thing though is I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge b4 and it read right. So i don't know about it. Looks like i might have to find some different fuel rails? Sorry so long but thanks for your time

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Yes it does.you were only getting the fuel pump to prime, which it will doe withought the icm. But the icm(ignition control module) tells the ecm when to turn on the fuel pump.
I just seen this dreamstang but if that is how that works that makes sence. To why it only came out a little but I have had problems with it b4 so I think my rails might be dirty. My car runs smooth and good. It just dont seem like it runs as good as it should. I got beat my a pretty much stock 96 gt the other day (
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
I would put an actual pressure gauge on it to be certain of what kind of pressure you have.then trouble shoot from there.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
Ok sounds good !! I have a question for u or trogan. U know how the dizzy cap has a 1 marked on it. Do u have to start number one plug wire there or can u make number one anywhere. I was readin somethinb about injector timing would be off if u didn't make number one on the cap the avtaully number one. Do y'all know cuz I want it to be right for sure when I'm done. I have it about 6 months now with number one changed on the cap.
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt View Post
Ok sounds good !! I have a question for u or trogan. U know how the dizzy cap has a 1 marked on it. Do u have to start number one plug wire there or can u make number one anywhere. I was readin somethinb about injector timing would be off if u didn't make number one on the cap the avtaully number one. Do y'all know cuz I want it to be right for sure when I'm done. I have it about 6 months now with number one changed on the cap.
The EEC-IV picks up a signal from the distributor and tells the injectors when to spray.

It uses a signal from the PIP or pickup coil to tell the injectors when to fire.
A Noid light connected to the injector harness at #1 plug will tell you if it is firing at the correct time.


I would put it back like it is supposed to be.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
Ok thanks. Yeah I have it advanced at 14 amd it's running good. I cleaned my maf and adjusted my idel so it is running pretty smooth at the moment. It just kind of worries me when I push the scrader valve hardly nothin comes out. Even with the key on.
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt View Post
Ok thanks. Yeah I have it advanced at 14 amd it's running good. I cleaned my maf and adjusted my idel so it is running pretty smooth at the moment. It just kind of worries me when I push the scrader valve hardly nothin comes out. Even with the key on.
Keep the key turned off or disconnect the battery, drain down the fuel pressure in the line, replace the schrader valve core with a new one and see if that helps.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
major intake help needed. robert3188 1979-1995 Mustang GT 8 04-07-2012 09:00 AM
I could use some help making up my mind 5pointOh 2011-2014 Mustang GT 11 04-07-2012 08:10 AM
Abs help pleaseee Dgerow12 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 3 04-06-2012 07:39 PM
Help with hid 02PONY 1996-2004 Mustang GT 1 04-06-2012 11:07 AM
Aftermarket head unti help BigB227 Mustang Audio & Video 6 04-05-2012 11:06 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:05 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.