Clicking sound - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Clicking sound

Ok I have a question....I was wondering what causes a clicking sound under the hood of the car when acceleration.....I had the timing set and tune up....should I change the whole distributor itself or what
Gary100288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Clicking sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary100288 View Post
Ok I have a question....I was wondering what causes a clicking sound under the hood of the car when acceleration.....I had the timing set and tune up....should I change the whole distributor itself or what
Sounds like you have spark knock or rattle, also known as detonation.
****** your timing a couple of degrees at a time until it goes away.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

not to highjack this thread but im having spark knock under heavy acceleration like right after you shift and stomp the gas after every gear and theres a hint of smoke when it happens.my timing is already set at 10 degrees,plugs are new motorcraft,wires good,cap and rotor look good,fuel filter is fairly new im kinda iffy about retarding my timing beyond 10 degrees.what do you think?
Nicolosi11480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Hmm.... That is wierd. It sounds as if you are advanced more than that.do you have an chip/tuner of any sort? Maybe your base timing is good but its advancing to far under wot? Try throwing some premium in there for chits and giggles to see if it cures it. But whatever the case I would be careful as the knock could destroy your engine.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i can tell you i have not installed a chip or anything,now has it been done and i dont know it?anything is possible.ya know im surprised it does that at 10 degrees too.i also run non ethanol gas.regular so i guess i can try running premium but it seems like just putting a band aid on the under lying issue?at this point the car other than exhaust under hood air filter is pretty much stock.i do know my balancer is fine cause i actually replaced it not too long ago because my old one was about to come apart.i feel like im missing something unless as you said,it has some sort of tune and i dont know it and it requires premium fuel.im kinda stumped
Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Yeah that is strange.you may get some more Opinions.you could pull the passenger side kick panel and see if there is some sort of chip in there.I don't know what else it could be, unless you had some sort of aftermarket distributor that wasn't setup properly.the only other thing that come to mind, which is probably far fetched on a N/A motor.but maybe your sparkplugs are getting to hot?I suppose it could also be an improper a/f mixture. But that's all I got.lol sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.but we have some pretty smart guys around here so your in good hands.it really sucks that you can't run more than 10*. I love mine at 14* its night and day it seems.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i definetely appreciate the input anyhow.im gonna pull the kick panel tomorrow if i have time to see whats up.its only at wide open throttle as i said change gear,let off clutch,floor it,puff of smoke and pinging for a few seconds.may be time for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and guage.if this car had more mods id go get it tuned anyway.no codes or anything either.the car is 22 years old.could be anything at this point.it does look like a factory distributor.i had my timing at 14 at one point it did what i was talking about now at 10 sometimes it does it some times it doesnt.maybe 3 out of 5 times i dog it lol.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Did you remember to remove the spout when you set the timing and to replace it afterwards?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

yea i did.i take the spout connector and stick it in my pocket to make damn sure i dont loose it lol.i never did get a chance to check my pcm so ill have to try mess with that tomorow.i really need to check that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT