What to expect - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
What to expect

Have bin to the track multiple times this year I feel like my car should be quicker buy it isn't my avg time I run is 13.0 at 104 I have bin 12.9 at 107 but I can't seem to get out of this rut
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I suggest better tires and trying to get your car as light as possible. Keep your gas around 1/4 a tank, empty all fluids you dont need, spare tire and jack can go, rear seats/radio gone, and depending on how powerful your alternator is you should be able to make a pass without a battery. Easy, quick, and free mods
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: What to expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc View Post
I suggest better tires and trying to get your car as light as possible. Keep your gas around 1/4 a tank, empty all fluids you dont need, spare tire and jack can go, rear seats/radio gone, and depending on how powerful your alternator is you should be able to make a pass without a battery. Easy, quick, and free mods
All good except the battery removal.

You don't want to do that. The voltage fluctuations from the alternator might fry some of your electronics. You'd be better off running without an alternator on a good battery and recharging between rounds.

Cold dense air and fuel will help. Anything you can do to make sure those two items are as cold as possible will increase your power a bit.

Further steps to lighten the car will also help as you can afford to do them. Fiberglass hood and hatch, Lexan hatch window, remove the sound deadening material from the floor boards, relocate the battery to the right rear of the car, remove any engine accessories that are not being used, such as the smog pump or air conditioning system.

Reducing the rotating weight will also help, such as using an aluminum driveshaft, and lightweight wheels. Reducing the mass of the vehicle overall will allow the power you have to accelerate it faster.

A full changeover to synthetic fluids in engine, transmission and rearend is worth around 5 hp or sometimes a bit more. Plus they increase the longevity of those parts too.

Cutting a good light will also help so practice in that area is well worth your time, be it in the car at the track or by a practice tree at home.
On a .500 tree I always used to leave on the last yellow bulb or a bit before depending on how responsive the car was. On a .400 tree I would leave at the first hint of yellow. Get to know the lights used at your track and try to perfect your timing as much as possible.

Stiffening the car will also help by adding sub-frame connectors and a roll bar with side impact protection. This does add back some weight but it also serves to stiffen the uni-body structure of the car and allowing the power that was formerly lost in twisting the car to be channeled through the back tires to accelerate the car forward instead.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
+1 on synsetics. I'm a fabricater on a race truck. The rousch engine picked up 10hp on engine dyno with amsoil.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Thanks for the heads up TH! You just helped me reach my "Learn something new everyday" quota
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
+1 on synsetics. I'm a fabricater on a race truck. The rousch engine picked up 10hp on engine dyno with amsoil.
Thank you for the confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc View Post
Thanks for the heads up TH! You just helped me reach my "Learn something new everyday" quota

That's I try to learn something new everyday too.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I am using Mickey Thompson et drags / and used drag radials
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue View Post
I am using Mickey Thompson et drags / and used drag radials
Have you got your launch procedure and RPM down for each?
Or is there any difference?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Have you got your launch procedure and RPM down for each?
Or is there any difference?
I have bin cuttin 1.7 60fts I have bin shutting at 5800

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT