Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Gears ??

1K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  captain78 
#1 ·
Ok how weird is this. My car is a 90 gt 25th anniversary edition ok hatchback. 5.0 5 speed. Jacked up and set on stands went to pull gears out to change them to 3:73 decided to look at tag and tag said I had 2:73s in the rear according to all the sites 2:73s were only offered with the automatic trans guess not and I only thought my stang was spunky. Damn that's gonna be a huge difference with the 3:73s. Has anyone heard of the 2:73s with a five speed

#2 ·
No, but you never know what a previous owner might have done.
Make sure of what you have before you order anything. :good:

#4 ·
Ok, but if you already have 3.73's you will be done in record time. ;) :D

#6 ·
Oh yea they Been sitting in the frpp box for a few weeks now on a shelf in my shop lol.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Oh yea they been in the shop on the shelf for a few weeks now
I meant what if the gears in your rearend are already 3.73's?

#8 ·
Ok, I just didn't want you to tear everything apart to find that you already had the gears you desired in there. :good:

#15 ·
YUP! You will look like this - :D
I had 4.10's for mine, but then I found the deal on the SC, so I'm sticking with my 3.55's for now. Of course once my baby brother found out I wasn't going to use them............:)

#19 ·
@robbie94gt. Only thing done as of now is lower lift bars adjustable uppers. Sub frame connectors. 3:73 gears rebuilt trac loc. New seats head liner all new door seals and gaskets. Torque box reinforcement kit. Brakes all around brand new rack and pinion. Now like I said that's what's been done as of now. Lol not including what I've bought lol

#20 ·
my 90 is also a 25th anniversary car with 5 speed it has 3.08 im looking to do a gear swap soon too but honestly i dont know how to set the gears up.i can tear the rear end apart no problem.also i have to remove the tailshaft on my trans to replace the big speedo gear so my guage is accurate

#21 ·
Nicolosi11480 said:
my 90 is also a 25th anniversary car with 5 speed it has 3.08 im looking to do a gear swap soon too but honestly i dont know how to set the gears up.i can tear the rear end apart no problem.also i have to remove the tailshaft on my trans to replace the big speedo gear so my guage is accurate
Put 3.73's in my cobra that came with 3.08's and never looked back, I put LMR's white single gear that's made for 3.55's and my speedo is dead on with GPS

#23 ·
Nicolosi11480 said:
If you mechanicaly inclined and have access to the right tools. A good instruction sheet will guide you through it.go for it.

#24 ·
dreamstang said:
If you mechanicaly inclined and have access to the right tools. A good instruction sheet will guide you through it.go for it.
+1,They also have a multitude of videos on YouTube that will give you an even better idea of how to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.