T5 reinstall trouble - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
T5 reinstall trouble

My t5 seized up last year and i bought used one , the old one came out easy but i cant get the new one in should it be in gear because it seems like the input shaft is not lining up it wont push into the bell housing all the way
Fox351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Keep it in neutral so the input shaft can spin to engage properly..also if the clutch was removed or messed with at all you need run an alignment tool on it while you reinstall it...if its of just a little bit you'll never get the input shaft to seat properly..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: T5 reinstall trouble

so i need a clutch alignment tool to get everything lined up again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox351
so i need a clutch alignment tool to get everything lined up again
Only if clutch was messed with.if you never loosened it up, it should be ok.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

I never use a clutch alignment tool. Here is what works for me if you need to align it and you do not have an alignment tool.

I just snug up the pressure plate to where I can still move the clutch disk with my fingers, but it will stay in place after I move it.
The using my fingertips, I feel the disk and the space around the pressure plate and adjust the disk until it is equal all the way around. Once it is set, then I torque down the pressure plate to hold the disk in place. Then install the transmission.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No i never removed the bellhousing i just took the tranny out everything in the bellhousing is just like it was from day one . Is there any tricks or could it be possible that it came out of alignment on its own its been sitting w/o the trans for six months it stops going in with about an inch gap between trans and housing
Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Road Trip!

did you check to see if the splines got nicked/burred sometime while being out of the motor?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Everything looks straight no damage ,it feels like its going in and the stops
Old 04-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

If anyone pushed the clutch in with the trans removed then it is out of alignment.Have you checked to ensure your pilot bearing is in place and to make sure some kind of bug didn't build a mud nest in there?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Is there any blockage in the pilot were the shaft goes in, check to make sure the t/b is lined up also might want to consider changing it
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If u only need a bout a 1/4 inch more, that means u just need to clear the pilot bearing. If u put the tranny in gear, and are able to spin the output shaft back and fourth, it means u haven't splined the tranny into the disc yet. If u aren't able to spin it, have someone press the clutch in and put the tranny in at the same time. That's a little trick we use here at the shop. Be patient though.
1fst86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Can i use the alighment tool with the bell housing on or do i need to loosen everything first
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Filibuster

The pressure plate has to be loose or just finger tight.while you tighten each bolt make sure the alignment tool slides in and out easily..
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ok im just gonna bite the bullet and swap out the clutch ,t/b ,pilot, is there anything else i should watch out for or change while i have it apart
Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
Road Trip!

im wondering if the old one was a 4 cyl model. they have smaller input shaft. did you check your old one and see if the input shaft was the same size?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #16
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
im wondering if the old one was a 4 cyl model. they have smaller input shaft. did you check your old one and see if the input shaft was the same size?
+1 I was just thinking the same thing, that will def keep you from getting into the pb if the old trans was a 4 cyl and you are trying to install a v8 trans.

Btw how much of a gap do you have between the trans and the bellhousing when you try to slide it together? I only ask because I had a similar problem with my gt a couple years back, it only needs to go maybe a 1/4 inch or so more but wouldn't go any further. I used a rachet strap and basically one or two clicks and it popped in the rest of the way. I'm not saying you should do this as you could mess something up.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The way I do it is on jack stand an I an my back so i am under it I got one hand on the Cason and one were the drive shaft is inserted, after I have most of it in I start twisting the shaft that comes out the tail shaft sometimes it just needs a little persuading I just did myn had the same problem and that worked also with other trans jobs I did on my Mach one
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
It might have a little rust in throwout bearing it was a pain on my fox I put a little grease in it and finally got it in
kid_kash_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox351
Ok im just gonna bite the bullet and swap out the clutch ,t/b ,pilot, is there anything else i should watch out for or change while i have it apart
make sure the clutch fork and ball socket are in good shape.then I would recommend and new adjustible clutch cable,and an aftermarket quadrant...have the old flywheel resurfaced or buy a new one is a good idea when replacing the clutch also..alot of clutches say you have to do either or to break the clutch in properly..and now is tbe time to do it!...good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT