Blow off valve - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Blow off valve

Is it possible to add a BOV to my setup? And if so will it need re-tuned.... Currently running built 306 with a Paxton novi 2000 supercharger with 15lbs of boost..

Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Is it possible to add a BOV to my setup? And if so will it need re-tuned.... Currently running built 306 with a Paxton novi 2000 supercharger with 15lbs of boost..
Does it have an intercooler? It's possible. And probably not retune it but you'll need to move your maf to a blow thru (after sc) and that will probably require a tune
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt

Does it have an intercooler? It's possible. And probably not retune it but you'll need to move your maf to a blow thru (after sc) and that will probably require a tune
No it doesn't have an intercooler.. I was hoping someone has gone this route.. It has a pro flow maf on it now.. It's not a blow thru though. It's torn down right now I'm studding heads and adding cometic mls gaskets... The fel pro's can't handle big boost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3940746846.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	47422  

Old 04-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000

No it doesn't have an intercooler.. I was hoping someone has gone this route.. It has a pro flow maf on it now.. It's not a blow thru though. It's torn down right now I'm studding heads and adding cometic mls gaskets... The fel pro's can't handle big boost.
Yeah I have pro flow too. I was planning on running a bov but after I installed my intercooler. I decided to wait tho because I'll need to get another maf and tune and all that crap I wasn't expecting to spend a lot of money on lol.
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Blow off valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000 View Post
Quote:
There is some info in this thread - Superchargers & Turbos - about installing a wastegate if that is what you mean?

P.S. You do know that the Cometic MLS gaskets require a specific surface finish to seal properly, I hope.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

There is some info in this thread - Superchargers & Turbos - about installing a wastegate if that is what you mean?

P.S. You do know that the Cometic MLS gaskets require a specific surface finish to seal properly, I hope.
Yes sir.. I'm very aware of the finish on the bottom of the heads for the gasket.. I'm just looking for a noisy BOV I did some reading and it requires a new tune I'm gonna hold off for a few months.. Dam wife is making me slow down on the toys..

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2952908823.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	484.3 KB
ID:	47465
Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yes sir.. I'm very aware of the finish on the bottom of the heads for the gasket.. I'm just looking for a noisy BOV I did some reading and it requires a new tune I'm gonna hold off for a few months.. Dam wife is making me slow down on the toys..

Attachment 47465
Not just the heads, the block deck too.
We've had a member or two have problems with them because of the finish requirements.

Didn't your Novi come with a BOV? Mine did.

Just put a duck call or something over it.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:

We've had a member or two have problems with them because of the finish requirements.

I have never touched the block deck and have had no problems.. Some people coat the gasket with a copper spray for a better deck seal.. But if it is perfectly flat you should be ok is what my builder says...

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

Quote:

Lol a duck call would be awesome... Lol
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I have never touched the block deck and have had no problems.. Some people coat the gasket with a copper spray for a better deck seal.. But if it is perfectly flat you should be ok is what my builder says...
From the Cometic website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometic Gasket, Inc.
Why does Cometic recommend MLS gaskets to be installed dry?
Cometic Multi-Layer Steel (MLS) head gaskets go on dry because they are coated with a sealant. Each MLS head gasket is coated with a .001" thick viton rubber that is bonded to the outer stainless steel layers. Adding an additional sealer can hinder the performance of an MLS head gasket.

What surface finish is required to us an MLS head gasket?
A surface finish of 50 RA (roughness average) or finer, is recommended for a proper gasket seal. Anything rougher may conflict with the gasket design.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Wow thanks you saved me a headache.. Machine shop said it requires a RN smooth finish.. And that isn't in my budget to pull motor and re-finish the deck.. So back with fel-pro's.. Any good advice on which gasket now? I'm looking for a thickness of .051
Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Jay Kranz, put an ON3 Turbo Kit on his Mustang and his builder used the Fel Pro 9333-pt1 gaskets. He said they would hold more power than the stock block would handle and so far they have worked ok for Jay.

Here's the thread - On3 Turbo on 91 5.0 - follow up to 91 5.0 mostly stock thread

How much boost are you making?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Is that a gasket that can be bought locally or do I have to order it?

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

I'm running a 15psi tune..
Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Is that a gasket that can be bought locally or do I have to order it?

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

I'm running a 15psi tune..
Should be able to get it locally.

Is that on a stock block?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Yeah lol.. Stock block.. I know it's pushing it.. But it's girdled and has a nice scat crank and I beam rods stock stroke..
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Awesome I got the gaskets only $38 vs. $185.. I'm gonna have the car retuned in 3 wks to 12 psi.. I'm only making 425rwhp and 478ft lbs torque at 15... I need to order a dart block to stroke
Old 04-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah lol.. Stock block.. I know it's pushing it.. But it's girdled and has a nice scat crank and I beam rods stock stroke..
I was asking because of possible gasket differences if you had an aftermarket block.
My stock block is currently at 405 FWHP before the installation of my Novi.
I have the DSS Main Support System and I will also be adding the Valley Girdles too.
I plan to try and hold 600+ HP with the stock block and see how long I can make it live.

Quote:
Awesome I got the gaskets only $38 vs. $185.. I'm gonna have the car retuned in 3 wks to 12 psi.. I'm only making 425rwhp and 478ft lbs torque at 15... I need to order a dart block to stroke

My future build (God & health willing) will consist of a FPP Boss 351W block ($1900 and able to hold up to 1500 HP), bored and stroked to 408 or bigger, and a mirrored twin turbo set up. looking for 800-1000+ street drivable HP out of that combo. I'm lucky, in that I have a cousin who builds high HP engines to give me a hand with it.

P.S. That wastegate article will help you in being able to tailor your boost to whatever level you desire. I plan to use it on the high HP engine to run around 800 HP on the street then be able to crank it up to max at the strip.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I thought sc had a by pass valve not a bov
Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
Forum Car Trader
Regular

I have a by pass valve already yeah... Just love the blow off sound!

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Quote:

I was asking because of possible gasket differences if you had an aftermarket block.
My stock block is currently at 405 FWHP before the installation of my Novi.
I have the DSS Main Support System and I will also be adding the Valley Girdles too.
I plan to try and hold 600+ HP with the stock block and see how long I can make it live.

My future build (God & health willing) will consist of a FPP Boss 351W block ($1900 and able to hold up to 1500 HP), bored and stroked to 408 or bigger, and a mirrored twin turbo set up. looking for 800-1000+ street drivable HP out of that combo. I'm lucky, in that I have a cousin who builds high HP engines to give me a hand with it.

P.S. That wastegate article will help you in being able to tailor your boost to whatever level you desire. I plan to use it on the high HP engine to run around 800 HP on the street then be able to crank it up to max at the strip.
Lol.. That's a nice sounding build.. Takes a true driver to handle a monster like that.. And about 10,000 for engine and trans
Old 04-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I have a by pass valve already yeah... Just love the blow off sound!

Lol.. That's a nice sounding build.. Takes a true driver to handle a monster like that.. And about 10,000 for engine and trans
It won't cost me that much.
Remember that cousin I was talking about?
We are more like brothers than cousins and have worked most of our adult life together.
He will help me save a lot of money.
I'll probably be able to get it done for half of that or maybe even less.
It really pays off to have the right "connections".
Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Lucky dogg... I turn my own wrenches always have... But if I go that big in power ever you better believe its being professionally built... That would take me about a yr or so to build.. Well or save the $$. I will go find me a lil coupe to build one day.. Until then my 425rwhp will do. Just got her back together 2 hrs ago and she runs great!!! No leaks. Crossed fingers!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Lucky dogg... I turn my own wrenches always have... But if I go that big in power ever you better believe its being professionally built... That would take me about a yr or so to build.. Well or save the $$. I will go find me a lil coupe to build one day.. Until then my 425rwhp will do. Just got her back together 2 hrs ago and she runs great!!! No leaks. Crossed fingers!
I always have and will turn my own wrenches too, but with my injuries I will require a bit more help these days.
My cousin will be able to hook me up with the big ticket parts at almost cost, so it will be a huge savings over normal prices.
He is a professional engine builder with numerous 1000-1500 HP engines to his credit and I'm fairly close to him in skills, so we can handle any issues that might arise.

Good luck with the car. Hopefully that will solve the problems.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT