Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Radiator problem?

1K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  All41 
#1 ·
alright i finally got my mustang running and when i got to my moms with it i opened up the hood and my antifreeze overflow tube was literally spraying antifreeze hardcore and it was flying around, it was hot as all hell, im guessing thats not good, anyone know why its doing that?

#7 ·
i didnt even check i was more looking for the cops(no insurance tags or inspection, nor tail lights) lol i didnt even check my gas till i got home which was on E lol

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

yes that could be it. do you have a temp gauge hooked up to make sure?

btw i picked up an overflow from summit racing for 7$ if you need to see how i mounted it let me know.
was it complicated to install or na

#10 ·
I had an 88 gt and it had some work done to it. I didnt even have an overflow, it worked fine until i put a new intake on it and the gasket was just a little off but off enough to cover the water jaket a little. I had a heck of time figuring it out. Have u done any work to intake or the heads? I dont buy the catch can thing.

#12 ·
Your point?

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

If your car is not rinning hot and is circulating like it should there is no reason why coolant should spray regardless if you have a catch can or not? Am i not right?!

#17 ·
Regardless the spray problem, which wouldn't likely have been the case with a $17.00 overflow attachd(btw, can't race without one), the 1 thing I didn't see listed which is a common problem... Radiator cap. Replace it even if it looks okay. They're cheap enough.

If you lost 1/2 your coolant, I'm guessing there's an actual problem. Under normal conditions, the overflow bottle is there for expansion. You shouldn't have THAT much expansion in a car that is running at normal temps. Final thought, if you still have the factory fan clutch, it's probably seen better days as well. I'd remove it and install an electric fan, or dual electric fans. That cleans up the look under the hood and gives you more room as well. It also "frees up" some hp.

#18 ·
All41 said:
Regardless the spray problem, which wouldn't likely have been the case with a $17.00 overflow attachd(btw, can't race without one), the 1 thing I didn't see listed which is a common problem... Radiator cap. Replace it even if it looks okay. They're cheap enough.

If you lost 1/2 your coolant, I'm guessing there's an actual problem. Under normal conditions, the overflow bottle is there for expansion. You shouldn't have THAT much expansion in a car that is running at normal temps. Final thought, if you still have the factory fan clutch, it's probably seen better days as well. I'd remove it and install an electric fan, or dual electric fans. That cleans up the look under the hood and gives you more room as well. It also "frees up" some hp.
Good input. I would like to know if he did anything to the intake system. I had issues when i had an obstrucion in the watter port between upper and lower, once i took the upper back off and found the issue i put it back together and i had no more issues.

#19 ·
All41 said:

I have dual electric fans.

#20 ·
mi03svt said:
Good input. I would like to know if he did anything to the intake system. I had issues when i had an obstrucion in the watter port between upper and lower, once i took the upper back off and found the issue i put it back together and i had no more issues.
Agreed. Good input. I think he bought the car like the way it is and hasn't really drove it till now.
Just wondering. You were talking about were part of the gasket overlaps into the water jacket? Because if that's what your talking about, that is usually used to control flow.

#21 ·
mi03svt said:
I'm not very bright when it comes to cars but don't only efi motors have upper n lower intakes?

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

dreamstang said:
Agreed. Good input. I think he bought the car like the way it is and hasn't really drove it till now.
Just wondering. You were talking about were part of the gasket overlaps into the water jacket? Because if that's what your talking about, that is usually used to control flow.
And yeah I never actually drove it till then bc it sat for a month or two after I bought it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.