Radiator problem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Radiator problem?

alright i finally got my mustang running and when i got to my moms with it i opened up the hood and my antifreeze overflow tube was literally spraying antifreeze hardcore and it was flying around, it was hot as all hell, im guessing thats not good, anyone know why its doing that?
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
does it still have stock fan?if so does it have a shroud?

thermostat sticking?they are cheap, i would definitly replace that if the cars been sitting.i like the high flow ones.check summit racing.

then also since the cars been sitting it maybe a good idea to flush the radiator.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
^all of these^
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Re: Radiator problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
does it still have stock fan?if so does it have a shroud?

thermostat sticking?they are cheap, i would definitly replace that if the cars been sitting.i like the high flow ones.check summit racing.

then also since the cars been sitting it maybe a good idea to flush the radiator.
i did flush it and filled it up with new antifreeze i think it might be bc i dont have an overflow for it i forgot about that
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Hmm...well without an overflow yeah you can loose some freeze.did you notice what your temp gauge was reading?..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
yes that could be it. do you have a temp gauge hooked up to make sure?

btw i picked up an overflow from summit racing for 7$ if you need to see how i mounted it let me know.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Re: Radiator problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Hmm...well without an overflow yeah you can loose some freeze.did you notice what your temp gauge was reading?..
i didnt even check i was more looking for the cops(no insurance tags or inspection, nor tail lights) lol i didnt even check my gas till i got home which was on E lol

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
yes that could be it. do you have a temp gauge hooked up to make sure?

btw i picked up an overflow from summit racing for 7$ if you need to see how i mounted it let me know.
was it complicated to install or na
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
About 20 mins. I just use a couple self tapping screws and ran the hose down around the bottom of the radiator.then up to the overflow barbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120417_210921.png
Views:	80
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	47429  
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Re: Radiator problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
About 20 mins. I just use a couple self tapping screws and ran the hose down around the bottom of the radiator.then up to the overflow barbs.
i just found my old overflow tank lol i gotta find a way to put it in there
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
mi03svt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 130
I had an 88 gt and it had some work done to it. I didnt even have an overflow, it worked fine until i put a new intake on it and the gasket was just a little off but off enough to cover the water jaket a little. I had a heck of time figuring it out. Have u done any work to intake or the heads? I dont buy the catch can thing.
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Re: Radiator problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi03svt View Post
I had an 88 gt and it had some work done to it. I didnt even have an overflow, it worked fine until i put a new intake on it and the gasket was just a little off but off enough to cover the water jaket a little. I had a heck of time figuring it out. Have u done any work to intake or the heads? I dont buy the catch can thing.
i have gt40 heads n edelbrock high rise w/4 barrel

i lost almost half my antifreeze when it was spraying around
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
mi03svt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 130
Your point?

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

If your car is not rinning hot and is circulating like it should there is no reason why coolant should spray regardless if you have a catch can or not? Am i not right?!
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi03svt
Your point?
I'm gonna say the point is a catch can would have caught the antifreeze.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
mi03svt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 130
My point is, there has to a reason why thats spraying and it probably isnt because there is more room for coolant.
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi03svt
My point is, there has to a reason why thats spraying and it probably isnt because there is more room for coolant.
Obviously if it was overheating it would skeet all over,but if not then yeah it would just be a little pee dribble..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
mi03svt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 130
Did you happen to read my previous post? Replying to the o.p. there was a suggestion in there.
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 72
Re: Radiator problem?

Regardless the spray problem, which wouldn't likely have been the case with a $17.00 overflow attachd(btw, can't race without one), the 1 thing I didn't see listed which is a common problem... Radiator cap. Replace it even if it looks okay. They're cheap enough.

If you lost 1/2 your coolant, I'm guessing there's an actual problem. Under normal conditions, the overflow bottle is there for expansion. You shouldn't have THAT much expansion in a car that is running at normal temps. Final thought, if you still have the factory fan clutch, it's probably seen better days as well. I'd remove it and install an electric fan, or dual electric fans. That cleans up the look under the hood and gives you more room as well. It also "frees up" some hp.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
mi03svt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by All41
Regardless the spray problem, which wouldn't likely have been the case with a $17.00 overflow attachd(btw, can't race without one), the 1 thing I didn't see listed which is a common problem... Radiator cap. Replace it even if it looks okay. They're cheap enough.

If you lost 1/2 your coolant, I'm guessing there's an actual problem. Under normal conditions, the overflow bottle is there for expansion. You shouldn't have THAT much expansion in a car that is running at normal temps. Final thought, if you still have the factory fan clutch, it's probably seen better days as well. I'd remove it and install an electric fan, or dual electric fans. That cleans up the look under the hood and gives you more room as well. It also "frees up" some hp.
Good input. I would like to know if he did anything to the intake system. I had issues when i had an obstrucion in the watter port between upper and lower, once i took the upper back off and found the issue i put it back together and i had no more issues.
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by All41
Regardless the spray problem, which wouldn't likely have been the case with a $17.00 overflow attachd(btw, can't race without one), the 1 thing I didn't see listed which is a common problem... Radiator cap. Replace it even if it looks okay. They're cheap enough.

If you lost 1/2 your coolant, I'm guessing there's an actual problem. Under normal conditions, the overflow bottle is there for expansion. You shouldn't have THAT much expansion in a car that is running at normal temps. Final thought, if you still have the factory fan clutch, it's probably seen better days as well. I'd remove it and install an electric fan, or dual electric fans. That cleans up the look under the hood and gives you more room as well. It also "frees up" some hp.
I have dual electric fans.
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi03svt

Good input. I would like to know if he did anything to the intake system. I had issues when i had an obstrucion in the watter port between upper and lower, once i took the upper back off and found the issue i put it back together and i had no more issues.
Agreed. Good input. I think he bought the car like the way it is and hasn't really drove it till now.
Just wondering. You were talking about were part of the gasket overlaps into the water jacket? Because if that's what your talking about, that is usually used to control flow.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi03svt

Good input. I would like to know if he did anything to the intake system. I had issues when i had an obstrucion in the watter port between upper and lower, once i took the upper back off and found the issue i put it back together and i had no more issues.
I'm not very bright when it comes to cars but don't only efi motors have upper n lower intakes?

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Agreed. Good input. I think he bought the car like the way it is and hasn't really drove it till now.
Just wondering. You were talking about were part of the gasket overlaps into the water jacket? Because if that's what your talking about, that is usually used to control flow.
And yeah I never actually drove it till then bc it sat for a month or two after I bought it
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
mi03svt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 130
Wasnt aware you didnt have efi? If thats the case disregard everything i have posted.
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi03svt
Wasnt aware you didnt have efi? If thats the case disregard everything i have posted.
I posted before I was carbed.
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
mi03svt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 130
Yeah, i dnt read entire post. As i said before disregard what i have posted.
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 72
Re: Radiator problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post
I have dual electric fans.
So... What was the problem and is it fixed?
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by All41
So... What was the problem and is it fixed?
Not sure but my fans not working right so that may be part of the problem
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #27
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody

Not sure but my fans not working right so that may be part of the problem
that could do it!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 72
Re: Radiator problem?

A faulty fan is a problem. Any speed above (roughly) 30mph will allow for adequate cooling, but don't slow down...
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:59 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.