1991 GT, about to buy... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Skype™ to Lastoria24
1991 GT, about to buy...

Found a 91 GT 5spd for sale locally that I'm gonna go check out tonight. I had my heart set on a 96-98 Cobra, but i could get a fox body for a lot less... And money is tight anyways.

So, thoughts? Anything I should look for specifically? Its white with gray interior, which im super happy about. I supposedly its bone stock, which is also hard to find. And its from Alabama, never saw a winter, thank God.

The only issues he said it has is the headliner is coming down a bit, not a huge ordeal (especially with LMR), and the windshield has a small crack, also not a big deal. I own a service shop and can get sick deals on windshield replacements.

Any input is appreciated!

Ps - cant stop watching fox body youtube videos, lol. Which cam do i go with? B? Id like to maintain some decent driveability too...
Lastoria24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Dude, honestly if you are not mechanically inclined or if you do not " know people" go another rout. You sill buy that and not be happy with it( if you are like me) and want to change this that and the other thing, and may find yourself in over your head like i did. Ultimately i wanted a fast car and those are not. You will be putting a lot of money into that car. If you are okay with that, more power to ya. I say go for it. I, myself, would go buy what i truely wanted and not just buy a " get me by until i find something i want" car. Thats my thought. Not intended to put a damper on your excitement!
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm actually very mechanically inclined. Im ASE certified, and i run my own service shop. Ive had 9 second Camaros (www.youtube.com/lastoria24). Ive always been a Chevrolet guy, and now i've grown this obcession with Mustangs. I just dont know much about them yet.

Really the point of my post was to find out if theres any "problematic" spots to look for, like water/rust issues, etc... I can fix ANY mechanical issue, but rust/rot, thats a whole different ball game.

Thanks for the thoughts though! I need something, some type of stick shift Mustang that has potential to be fast. My 01 GT was not. It's not worth putting the money in those 2v's, IMO. So maybe this'll tie me over until I can get a Terminator. That'll be awhile though (2 kids, wife and constant house remodeling = no extra cash for toys).

Again, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 1991 GT, about to buy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastoria24 View Post
I'm actually very mechanically inclined. Im ASE certified, and i run my own service shop. Ive had 9 second Camaros (www.youtube.com/lastoria24). Ive always been a Chevrolet guy, and now i've grown this obcession with Mustangs. I just dont know much about them yet.

Really the point of my post was to find out if theres any "problematic" spots to look for, like water/rust issues, etc... I can fix ANY mechanical issue, but rust/rot, thats a whole different ball game.

Thanks for the thoughts though! I need something, some type of stick shift Mustang that has potential to be fast. My 01 GT was not. It's not worth putting the money in those 2v's, IMO. So maybe this'll tie me over until I can get a Terminator. That'll be awhile though (2 kids, wife and constant house remodeling = no extra cash for toys).

Again, thanks.
With "no extra cash for toys" (God I really hate to say this. ) you should probably just wait until your finances improve. UNLESS, you can be satisfied with slowly saving up and modding a bit at a time.

I have been in your position and ultimately gave up all of my toys for my children and I was happy to do so as their health and well being took precedence over everything else.

After years of working a regular day job and working nights and weekends to provide for them (4 girls), I finally reached the point to where they were all grown and I could return to my Mustang addiction. Then I got injured on the job, then terminated because of the injuries when I could no longer do my job. But, even that won't stop me. I am currently still saving a bit at a time and buying parts as I can to complete my car when I have healed up enough to work on it again.

However you decide to go, I wish you the best of luck.
If you can afford the car and deal with not having all the cash to do what you want right away, then go for it. The 91 will be a good base to start with.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Put it this way. I make pretty solid money. The problem is i just dished out $25,000 in cash to remodel my house (and i did all the work myself...). None of the money I spend on cars is through loans or lines, i pay cash for all my vehicles. Im just low on cash at the moment and I want to get into something. And i wouldnt just buy ANYTHING to have something. I have a lot of parameters involved. Like colors, body styles and engines (like a 5.0 with forged pistons, so i wouldnt buy a pre-87 or a 93-95 5.0).

Ive always been a fan of fox bodies, if theyre done tastefully. So this is one of those things i check off my list. Long as its clean and worth it.

And i agree about family/children being the number one priority. My 1 1/2 year old daughter has spent about 2-3 months of her life in a hospital. We spent most of last summer there. She develped a seizure disorder called "Infantile Spasms". Its a TERRIBLE diagnosis to get. So life has been hell the last year. Shes such a sweet little girl, and the carnage shes been put through is unreal. Thinks have been getting better though, and i pray it stays that way.

Moral of the story, i want a car that i can toy around with, not spend a lot of cash on, and be fun to drive.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 1991 GT, about to buy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastoria24 View Post
Put it this way. I make pretty solid money. The problem is i just dished out $25,000 in cash to remodel my house (and i did all the work myself...). None of the money I spend on cars is through loans or lines, i pay cash for all my vehicles. Im just low on cash at the moment and I want to get into something. And i wouldnt just buy ANYTHING to have something. I have a lot of parameters involved. Like colors, body styles and engines (like a 5.0 with forged pistons, so i wouldnt buy a pre-87 or a 93-95 5.0).

Ive always been a fan of fox bodies, if theyre done tastefully. So this is one of those things i check off my list. Long as its clean and worth it.

And i agree about family/children being the number one priority. My 1 1/2 year old daughter has spent about 2-3 months of her life in a hospital. We spent most of last summer there. She develped a seizure disorder called "Infantile Spasms". Its a TERRIBLE diagnosis to get. So life has been hell the last year. Shes such a sweet little girl, and the carnage shes been put through is unreal. Thinks have been getting better though, and i pray it stays that way.

Moral of the story, i want a car that i can toy around with, not spend a lot of cash on, and be fun to drive.
Sorry to hear of the health issues your baby girl has had to endure. I will pray for her to have a quick recovery.

I did the remodel thing too and spent probably double because I added a large room on to the house. I did all of it myself with help from my wife and daughters. Phew, was I ever glad when it was completed.

The 91 Mustang should fill your needs nicely and I wish you the best of luck with it.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I say go for it!!!!!!!!!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sorry to hear about your baby wish you the best..imo you can never go wrong with a fox .Grab it
intensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I own a 91 notchback. The only thing I would tell you is to watch for wiring issues. These cars are known to have there fair share. Also look for anything that may have been 'Johnny rigged'. As for these cars not being fast: you need to sit in the passenger's seat of my foxbody for a few blocks
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
also check the floor pans, torque boxes, inner areas of the fenders, around the tail lights. there are probably some more, but these are common rust areas.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
Pete Jones
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Floorboards, strut towers, torque boxes. Those are the 3 main things to look at to insure its a solid car. As far as wiring issues go....I've personally never had any troubles or heard of any of my buddies cars having electrical issues but that's not to say they don't happen.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome. Thank you guys for the input. Im gonna go see it this sunday (long as it doesnt sell before that...)

Crossing my fingers!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Did you end up buying the car?? I just picked up a 92 GT myself. 5 speed of course!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
JK564 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT