How many cats? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #1

Region: Washington
How many cats?

Have '95 5.0 and the catalytic converters seem UBER clogged. I took it to a local exhaust shop and they told me that my car has SIX CATS and they quoted me over a GRAND to swap them out. I laughed and walked out. So when I got home I crawled under the car and I swear on all things holy, I only see TWO. As far as I know the car is stock.
My question is...how many cats came on the 1995 GT stock? And if it really is SIX...do I really need them? I live in Hawaii and we don't do emissions here, so that isn't really an issue.

Any ideas that anyone may have would be GREATLY appreciated.

Maybe dude was just trying to take advantage of the lil girl that walked into his shop?
MustangShelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I know foxes have 4. But I never heard of six.if you don't have emmisions then I would buy an off road pipe for about 150 and have someone install it.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If your car is 100% stock you would have 4 cats. You might have missed the top 2 cause they are easy to miss if you don't look hard since they are small.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief
If your car is 100% stock you would have 4 cats. You might have missed the top 2 cause they are easy to miss if you don't look hard since they are small.
+1
My sister's '94 GT (which is 100% stock; still has air intake silencer!) has 4 cats.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: How many cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangShelly View Post
Have '95 5.0 and the catalytic converters seem UBER clogged. I took it to a local exhaust shop and they told me that my car has SIX CATS and they quoted me over a GRAND to swap them out. I laughed and walked out. So when I got home I crawled under the car and I swear on all things holy, I only see TWO. As far as I know the car is stock.
My question is...how many cats came on the 1995 GT stock? And if it really is SIX...do I really need them? I live in Hawaii and we don't do emissions here, so that isn't really an issue.

Any ideas that anyone may have would be GREATLY appreciated.

Maybe dude was just trying to take advantage of the lil girl that walked into his shop?
Guys, it looks like there are 4, but aren't the first two just resonators?

If you don't have emissions testing, then just replace the factory H-pipe with an aftermarket one that does not have cats.
Or, if you wish to keep them you can get an aftermarket H-pipe with them.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

If you don't have emissions testing, then just replace the factory H-pipe with an aftermarket one that does not have cats.
i think you are right. all i know is they are good scrap.they go for about 20-30 a piece.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

They are not resonators. The a basically a pre-cat to help warm up the 2 main cats. Just go with an off-road and call it a day.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #8

Thanks all i lowered the car this winter and it's hard to see what's doing under there, so I probably did miss the ones in front.
The only thing that has me concerned about getting an o/r X is that I don't know how loud it's gonna be. I totally dig loud exhaust (my favorite sound ever actually) but the houses out here are like glorified sheds. Lol. They have absolutely NO insulation and those crummy jalousie windows. I just don't want my neighbors to be plotting my murder when I leave for work at 4:30am. Ha ha ha
I figured while I was at getting the exhaust done, I would get some new mufflers as well. I have a thing for flowmaster but I've heard great things about so many other brands too.
Think an o/r X and some 40 series Flows would be too obnoxious without cats?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
Road Trip!

well. they do have high flow catted pipes. here ismwhat mine sounded like o/r h pipe, shorty headers, 40 series. some people thought it was loud. but for me it wasnt loud enough so i went to this [COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

they do have flows that have similar flowmaster sound but are not as loud.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
well. they do have high flow catted pipes. here ismwhat mine sounded like o/r h pipe, shorty headers, 40 series. some people thought it was loud. but for me it wasnt loud enough so i went to this
Holy Jesus, The 10's sound totally sexual. Tee hee. Love it! I think my neighbors would shoot me. Ha!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangShelly

Holy Jesus, The 10's sound totally sexual. Tee hee. Love it! I think my neighbors would shoot me. Ha!
thanx yes, i love them. but im worried about tickets now. but a couple will be worth the glorious music they create. if you look on the flowmaster website i believe they have a chart with all there mufflers in order from loudest to quietest. we also have a couple exhaust threads in the pictures and videos section.

better pick wisely. we dont wanna be down a new member cause of a p'ed off neighbor!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #12

Quote:

thanx yes, i love them. but im worried about tickets now. but a couple will be worth the glorious music they create. if you look on the flowmaster website i believe they have a chart with all there mufflers in order from loudest to quietest. we also have a couple exhaust threads in the pictures and videos section.

better pick wisely. we dont wanna be down a new member cause of a p'ed off neighbor!
Ha ha ha, for sure and thanks, imuna go looking/listening.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
Road Trip!

No problem. Make sure you add a vid of your new exhaust when its finished. Some of us get our kicks out of listening to exhaust vids. Haha.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #14

Quote:
No problem. Make sure you add a vid of your new exhaust when its finished. Some of us get our kicks out of listening to exhaust vids. Haha.
I will, for sure. Been wanting to do the exhaust since I bought it almost 2 years ago but as with most things, it got put off. I'm excited now though.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Well I'm excited for you! Nothing like getting a new exhaust. just try not to sit there revving it all the time....... Like I do haha
Good luck
Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yeah, be careful what you pick! I live in a "retirement community" as I like to call it. Got complaints all the time and ended up with 4 different combinations on the car before I found one no one would complain about! I had longtubes with catted x roush mid pipe with resonators and Borla stingers for the axel back, for the final combination and no one complained. Or they just perfected that over the Harley at 0430! Lol

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

And whatever shop you went to was definitely tryin to get over on you! Don't go back there for anything!
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Thanks all i lowered the car this winter and it's hard to see what's doing under there, so I probably did miss the ones in front.
The only thing that has me concerned about getting an o/r X is that I don't know how loud it's gonna be. I totally dig loud exhaust (my favorite sound ever actually) but the houses out here are like glorified sheds. Lol. They have absolutely NO insulation and those crummy jalousie windows. I just don't want my neighbors to be plotting my murder when I leave for work at 4:30am. Ha ha ha
I figured while I was at getting the exhaust done, I would get some new mufflers as well. I have a thing for flowmaster but I've heard great things about so many other brands too.
Think an o/r X and some 40 series Flows would be too obnoxious without cats?
I have a offroad H with flows 40's perfect sound rumbles at idle screams at 5 grand
jwhayne0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #18

FINALLY ordered parts from AmericanMuscle. Ended up going with the BBK catted X pipe. I had planned on ordering muffs at the same time but I have taxes, car payment, insurance AND rent all coming out of my account on the 1st.
I hate being a grown-up sometimes...
Oh well, there's always next paycheck. Woo.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
FINALLY ordered parts from AmericanMuscle. Ended up going with the BBK catted X pipe. I had planned on ordering muffs at the same time but I have taxes, car payment, insurance AND rent all coming out of my account on the 1st.
I hate being a grown-up sometimes...
Oh well, there's always next paycheck. Woo.
+10000 you'll love it!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT