Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How many cats?

23K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  deadsp0t 
#1 ·
Have '95 5.0 and the catalytic converters seem UBER clogged. I took it to a local exhaust shop and they told me that my car has SIX CATS and they quoted me over a GRAND to swap them out. I laughed and walked out. So when I got home I crawled under the car and I swear on all things holy, I only see TWO. As far as I know the car is stock.
My question is...how many cats came on the 1995 GT stock? And if it really is SIX...do I really need them? I live in Hawaii and we don't do emissions here, so that isn't really an issue.

Any ideas that anyone may have would be GREATLY appreciated.

Maybe dude was just trying to take advantage of the lil girl that walked into his shop?

#5 ·
Guys, it looks like there are 4, but aren't the first two just resonators? :confused:

If you don't have emissions testing, then just replace the factory H-pipe with an aftermarket one that does not have cats.
Or, if you wish to keep them you can get an aftermarket H-pipe with them.

#6 ·
Trojan Horse said:
Guys, it looks like there are 4, but aren't the first two just resonators? :confused:

If you don't have emissions testing, then just replace the factory H-pipe with an aftermarket one that does not have cats.
i think you are right. all i know is they are good scrap.they go for about 20-30 a piece. ;)

#7 ·
Trojan Horse said:

They are not resonators. The a basically a pre-cat to help warm up the 2 main cats. Just go with an off-road and call it a day.

#8 ·
Thanks all :) i lowered the car this winter and it's hard to see what's doing under there, so I probably did miss the ones in front.
The only thing that has me concerned about getting an o/r X is that I don't know how loud it's gonna be. I totally dig loud exhaust (my favorite sound ever actually) but the houses out here are like glorified sheds. Lol. They have absolutely NO insulation and those crummy jalousie windows. I just don't want my neighbors to be plotting my murder when I leave for work at 4:30am. Ha ha ha :)
I figured while I was at getting the exhaust done, I would get some new mufflers as well. I have a thing for flowmaster but I've heard great things about so many other brands too.
Think an o/r X and some 40 series Flows would be too obnoxious without cats?

#9 ·
well. they do have high flow catted pipes. here ismwhat mine sounded like o/r h pipe, shorty headers, 40 series. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUCJLRtykR8&feature=youtube_gdata_player some people thought it was loud. but for me it wasnt loud enough so i went to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZyC1xP1KWo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

they do have flows that have similar flowmaster sound but are not as loud.

#10 ·
#11 ·
MustangShelly said:
Holy Jesus, The 10's sound totally sexual. Tee hee. Love it! I think my neighbors would shoot me. Ha! :-D
thanx yes, i love them. but im worried about tickets now. but a couple will be worth the glorious music they create. if you look on the flowmaster website i believe they have a chart with all there mufflers in order from loudest to quietest. we also have a couple exhaust threads in the pictures and videos section.

better pick wisely. we dont wanna be down a new member cause of a p'ed off neighbor! :)

#12 ·
dreamstang said:
thanx yes, i love them. but im worried about tickets now. but a couple will be worth the glorious music they create. if you look on the flowmaster website i believe they have a chart with all there mufflers in order from loudest to quietest. we also have a couple exhaust threads in the pictures and videos section.

better pick wisely. we dont wanna be down a new member cause of a p'ed off neighbor! :)
Ha ha ha, for sure :) and thanks, imuna go looking/listening.

#16 ·
Yeah, be careful what you pick! I live in a "retirement community" as I like to call it. Got complaints all the time and ended up with 4 different combinations on the car before I found one no one would complain about! I had longtubes with catted x roush mid pipe with resonators and Borla stingers for the axel back, for the final combination and no one complained. Or they just perfected that over the Harley at 0430! Lol

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

And whatever shop you went to was definitely tryin to get over on you! Don't go back there for anything!

#17 ·
MustangShelly said:
Thanks all :) i lowered the car this winter and it's hard to see what's doing under there, so I probably did miss the ones in front.
The only thing that has me concerned about getting an o/r X is that I don't know how loud it's gonna be. I totally dig loud exhaust (my favorite sound ever actually) but the houses out here are like glorified sheds. Lol. They have absolutely NO insulation and those crummy jalousie windows. I just don't want my neighbors to be plotting my murder when I leave for work at 4:30am. Ha ha ha :)
I figured while I was at getting the exhaust done, I would get some new mufflers as well. I have a thing for flowmaster but I've heard great things about so many other brands too.
Think an o/r X and some 40 series Flows would be too obnoxious without cats?
I have a offroad H with flows 40's perfect sound rumbles at idle screams at 5 grand

#18 ·
FINALLY ordered parts from AmericanMuscle. Ended up going with the BBK catted X pipe. I had planned on ordering muffs at the same time but I have taxes, car payment, insurance AND rent all coming out of my account on the 1st.
I hate being a grown-up sometimes...
Oh well, there's always next paycheck. Woo.

#19 ·
MustangShelly said:
FINALLY ordered parts from AmericanMuscle. Ended up going with the BBK catted X pipe. I had planned on ordering muffs at the same time but I have taxes, car payment, insurance AND rent all coming out of my account on the 1st.
I hate being a grown-up sometimes...
Oh well, there's always next paycheck. Woo.
+10000 you'll love it!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.