gt40 upper amd lower and maf upgrade! - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #106
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
my list goes on forever. you can check my garage though if you have an extra 20 minutes. lol
Lol, I've been following your thread, very nice work. Can I haz some monies? Lol

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #107
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
thanx. i wish i had some money. i had a good tax return.lol after close to 4 years including the price of my car i am only about 8500$ in.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

Lol, I've been following your thread, very nice work. Can I haz some monies? Lol
lol to be honest i do construction and i take all the aluminum from jobsites scrap that is and i.scrap it 150 - 300 a pop abiut every three weeks this is how i..paid for it all lol
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #109
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack

lol to be honest i do construction and i take all the aluminum from jobsites scrap that is and i.scrap it 150 - 300 a pop abiut every three weeks this is how i..paid for it all lol
that works. another 40-50 weeks youll be ready for a super charger!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

that works. another 40-50 weeks youll be ready for a super charger!
lol hahaha i no cant wait
Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

ok im going to time my car but never used a dial backvtimeing light what do i set this thing at to time my car help asap please

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120505_105136.png
Views:	117
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	49232
Old 05-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok im going to time my car but never used a dial backvtimeing light what do i set this thing at to time my car help asap please
nevermind dumb question.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #113
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: gt40 upper amd lower and maf upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack View Post
They delay the signal so that the light flashes on the TDC mark and you read your advance from the display on the back of the light.

The correct way to use one of these to set it at what degree you want your engine timing set at, and then it should show up at 0° TDC on your harmonic balancer timing marks.

Example: If I want my engine to be at 10° BTDC at say 800 RPM, I would set the timing light at 10° and when the engine is idling at 800 RPM it should show 0° on the harmonic balancer timing marks.

P.S. That's from memory, so I hope I got it right.
If not, someone will let us know I hope.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

They delay the signal so that the light flashes on the TDC mark and you read your advance from the display on the back of the light.

The correct way to use one of these to set it at what degree you want your engine timing set at, and then it should show up at 0° BTDC on your harmonic balancer timing marks.

Example: If I want my engine to be at 10° BTDC at say 800 RPM, I would set the timing light at 10° and when the engine is idling at 800 RPM it should show 0° on the harmonic balancer timing marks.

P.S. That's from memory, so I hope I got it right.
If not, someone will let us know I hope.
so i dont mark the 10 on the pulley its self then and linebthat up?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So when u say it falls in its face, do u hear any backfiring, knocking, stumbling??? I did the conversion in my 86, used the stock bap sensor, just left it without the vacuum line as per the instructions. I did have to do wiring at the computer harness that wasn't explained In the instructions. What kind of maf are u running??
1fst86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fst86
So when u say it falls in its face, do u hear any backfiring, knocking, stumbling??? I did the conversion in my 86, used the stock bap sensor, just left it without the vacuum line as per the instructions. I did have to do wiring at the computer harness that wasn't explained In the instructions. What kind of maf are u running??
well the car is running now decently but the maf is unpluged in order for it to do so.

1. i had the distr. 180 out and fould some plugs
2. put the oem injectors back in
3. re timed the car now seems to be ruining good now as long as the maf I'd unplugged.

with it plugged in i get poping and sputtering and just does not sound good at all. and just does not want to go anywhere.

i want to clean the maf but have no clue how.

its a 65mm from an 89 with an 89 computer and map sensor.

all vacuum lines look good unless they go to a specific spot that i'm unaware of.

it idles Like a dream now around 800 its never done that

so now other than fingering it correctly i'm not sure what to from here

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

haha meant timing it right
Old 05-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cleaning the MAF is easy, just make sure u use the correct solution for the job, some cleaners are too harsh. Did u buy Ur electronics used?
1fst86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

the computer andbmaf yes but all the wireing was brand new i bought it in a kit
Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

okay took a video of my car crappy sound from my phone i was hopeing you could here the dif in sound with/out the maf hooked up

Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
The maf could be dirty or maybe going bad. Have you pulled te sensor out of the housing yet? Oh and that's a good looking fox.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #121
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
The maf could be dirty or maybe going bad. Have you pulled te sensor out of the housing yet? Oh and that's a good looking fox.
yeah, i agree with all of this. including the good looking fox part.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yeah, i agree with all of this. including the good looking fox part.
thanks guys.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

timeing question now? trojan said earlier that with the light im using i should set the light to ten degrees and then get the 0 mark to where it needs to be correct? that will get me back to stock timing. what i did was mark the pulley at the line that said ten and set the timing light to 25 for.2500 rpms at lined the 10 mark i made to the edge of the bracket make sense?

did i do this right or wrong and ifbso whats the.correct way cause this could be part of my issue as well.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #123
Road Trip!

the way i see it is. if you set the dial at 10* you should have the tdc 0* mark ligned up with the pointer. this is at idle. the point of the dial feature is it can help you check advance by revving the motor passed where it stops advancing, around 3000-3500 rpm. then turn the dial until you read 0* by looking at the dial, wherever you turned it to will be your total timing. i am sorry if i am confusing you, but basically wherever the dial is pointed when you read 0* at the pointer is your timing.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the way i see it is. if you set the dial at 10* you should have the tdc 0* mark ligned up with the pointer. this is at idle. the point of the dial feature is it can help you check advance by revving the motor passed where it stops advancing, around 3000-3500 rpm. then turn the dial until you read 0* by looking at the dial, wherever you turned it to will be your total timing. i am sorry if i am confusing you, but basically wherever the dial is pointed when you read 0* at the pointer is your timing.
know this makes perfect sence andbyes i did it wrong lol so tomorrow ill takle it again qnd get it set correctly maybe this.is my the maf is acting up. thanks again man...

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Quote:

know this makes perfect sence andbyes i did it wrong lol so tomorrow ill takle it again qnd get it set correctly maybe this.is my the maf is acting up. thanks again man...
so to set the timing at say 14 i would turn the dial to 14 then get the tdc 0 to show on the pointer at idle then rev it up just passed where it stops advancing amd then turn the dial again until it sais 0 on the pointer. and what is total timing mean
Old 05-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #125
Road Trip!

Quote:

No problem

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

U shouldn't need to mess with the total timing. I would just set it at idle. Your timing will advance automatically at higher rpms. This is normal.

Base timing+timing advance= total timing

Racers will play with there total timing. But like I said. Just set it at idle and u should be good.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Also this may make sense if your timing was an extra 12* Advanced. You may have been burning your fuel mixture early, similar to a lean condition due to the timing. When you unplugged your maf, it sent you ecu into a open loop. That usually results in a rich condition. So the 2 problem possibly may have been helping each other. If that makes sense. But I could be way wrong so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I will keep my fingers crossed you just had a timing issue.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No problem

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

U shouldn't need to mess with the total timing. I would just set it at idle. Your timing will advance automatically at higher rpms. This is normal.

Base timing+timing advance= total timing

Racers will play with there total timing. But like I said. Just set it at idle and u should be good.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Also this may make sense if your timing was an extra 12* Advanced. You may have been burning your fuel mixture early, similar to a lean condition due to the timing. When you unplugged your maf, it sent you ecu into a open loop. That usually results in a rich condition. So the 2 problem possibly may have been helping each other. If that makes sense. But I could be way wrong so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I will keep my fingers crossed you just had a timing issue.

hey ill try anything to get this right.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #127
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: gt40 upper amd lower and maf upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack View Post
thanks guys.
---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------
timeing question now? trojan said earlier that with the light im using i should set the light to ten degrees and then get the 0 mark to where it needs to be correct? that will get me back to stock timing. what i did was mark the pulley at the line that said ten and set the timing light to 25 for.2500 rpms at lined the 10 mark i made to the edge of the bracket make sense?

did i do this right or wrong and ifbso whats the.correct way cause this could be part of my issue as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Hey guys, I had a mistake in my post above which I have corrected. I had "0° BTDC and it should have been 0° TDC." Sorry for the confusion. My pain meds really mess with my thinking sometimes.

dreamstang your assessment is correct I believe.
87blackonblack, what you did is not correct. The numbers on the dial are the advance, not RPMs.

First remove the spout connector.
Then set the dial to 10° on the timing light.
Start the engine and let it idle. (700-900 RPM) (Works best if engine is at operating temp.)
Check your timing, the pointer/light flash should be on 0° TDC if the timing is correct.
Set the timing if incorrect, tighten down the distributor once that is completed and replace the spout connector and you are done.

Now, like I said earlier I am going from memory and have not used one of those lights for a year or two, so you might want to verify that I have it 100% correct.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #128
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Hey guys, I had a mistake in my post above which I have corrected. I had "0° BTDC and it should have been 0° TDC." Sorry for the confusion. My pain meds really mess with my thinking sometimes.

dreamstang your assessment is correct I believe.
87blackonblack, what you did is not correct. The numbers on the dial are the advance, not RPMs.

First remove the spout connector.
Then set the dial to 10° on the timing light.
Start the engine and let it idle. (700-900 RPM) (Works best if engine is at operating temp.)
Check your timing, the pointer/light flash should be on 0° TDC if the timing is correct.
Set the timing if incorrect, tighten down the distributor once that is completed and replace the spout connector and you are done.

Now, like I said earlier I am going from memory and have not used one of those lights for a year or two, so you might want to verify that I have it 100% correct.
I prefer a standard light. But those type are really good for figuring total timing. But yeah I think you are right.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

first thing today i will re time her and see what she does.
thanks hopefully this cures it all
Old 05-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

ok i unplugged the sensor thingy retimed my car to 14 degreez shut it off plugged back in the sensor and the timing to is not showing 0 but it is showing 10 on the wheel is tbis normal? or should it still read 0 at the pointer
Old 05-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #131
Road Trip!

it should still read zero if your dial on the light is set to where you want your car timed. the mark on the pointer will change if it was at a different rpm.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it should still read zero if your dial on the light is set to where you want your car timed. the mark on the pointer will change if it was at a different rpm.
no the idle changed a little when i pluged the sensor in but it did not stay at 0 the pointer was read around ten should i set the timeing with the plug thing in and see what it sais

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120506_135642.png
Views:	119
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	49357

is the the one i unplug to set the timing?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #133
Road Trip!

That looks like it. I don't have one so I don't remember. Definitely set the timing with the spout connector off.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/timing.php

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

A little bit of idle change won't affect it to much.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That looks like it. I don't have one so I don't remember. Definitely set the timing with the spout connector off.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/timing.php

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

A little bit of idle change won't affect it to much.
well the timing is set with the connector off but still wont run with the maf hooked up. im going to clean it mondau and go through all the vacuum lines amd wiring make sure its all good and hope for the best!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #135
Road Trip!

Quote:

well the timing is set with the connector off but still wont run with the maf hooked up. im going to clean it mondau and go through all the vacuum lines amd wiring make sure its all good and hope for the best!
Aww darn. I was hoping it was the timing. Well sounds like you have a good plan of attack. Try pulling the codes to why you are at it. Good luck man
Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Aww darn. I was hoping it was the timing. Well sounds like you have a good plan of attack. Try pulling the codes to why you are at it. Good luck man
i dont have anything to check codes with and there are no dummy lights on. but ill start with the maf and vacuum and wiring and go from there.

would the maf not being hooked up hurt the car if i drove it that way.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #137
Road Trip!

Quote:

i dont have anything to check codes with and there are no dummy lights on. but ill start with the maf and vacuum and wiring and go from there.

would the maf not being hooked up hurt the car if i drove it that way.
I don't THINK it would hurt it over a short time. But basically without the maf hooked up it will run in a closed loop, preset air fuel mixture. The ecu will not be able to adjust the fuel according to the air coming in. Imo I wouldn't be scared to drive a short while to the store or something like that. But I would try to get it right asap. Maybe Trojan could answer this one better.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

okay ill just leave it be no reason go drive it and make it worse or possibly hurt it so
Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
When u have the maf unplugged the check engine light should come on. Does it? Amd u can check your codes with just a short piece of wire. I think there should be a article on here under the useful info. That's what I always use amd it works great. But I would try to clean the maf or try to get another one to try. But I hope u get it figured out cuz I want to hear from u how much difference u feel in it. Cuz I'm getting ready to put gt40 p heads amd intake on my car
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt
When u have the maf unplugged the check engine light should come on. Does it? Amd u can check your codes with just a short piece of wire. I think there should be a article on here under the useful info. That's what I always use amd it works great. But I would try to clean the maf or try to get another one to try. But I hope u get it figured out cuz I want to hear from u how much difference u feel in it. Cuz I'm getting ready to put gt40 p heads amd intake on my car
yea i have no lights on at all so i going to go back through the wireing and make sure its all good clean the maf and go from there. it runs really well with out the maf connected but i am affraid to get on it until i get it all figured out.

whats the wire thkng your talking about

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT