Backfire - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Backfire

Or a question. I did a tune up on my 92 mustang now I have a slight backfire I replaced rotor, cap, plugs, and plug wires. I also plugged a few vac lines that was open. Also replaced vaccine that went from the charcoal canister to the intake now when I let it idle and give it a little gas a have a single pop tht sounds like a backfire. Any help would be great. Thabks
Travis B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I figured it out. Had a couple wires backwards. But I still have my high idle issue. It idles about 1000-1200 just sitting there. After I drive it for a few minutes and stop at a light it will idle t about 1800 and then after about 20 secs it will go down to around 1200. I have checked just about everything. I know my tps voltage is a little low and I can't get anymore out of it.
My question is do I need to go ahead and replace my tps or do I need to get the iac? Any help would be great.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

In the stickies is the info on idle relearn. Basically un hook iac and manually set it to 900 rpm while running with no accessories than turn car off and hook up iac and turn car on and turn on everything you can and it should start adjusting. Like I said there is this procedure in complete detail in the stickies. Hope this helps
bigcolt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I can unhook the iac and turn the idle screw until it ain't even touching anymore and I still can't get it below 1100 rpm. I also reset my tps voltage to .995 so I don't know what else to do. HELP.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You have got to have a vaccine leak . Is your throttle cable free and clear? When it idles high can you manually push back your throttle with you hand at the throttle body

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Vacuum*
Old 04-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I can move the throttle fine. I don't know if the butterfly is staying open just a little or what.
How much vac is my car suppose to pull. I'm gonna rig a vac gauge on the vac block on the firewall to see wht exactly I'm pulling?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What I ment is when it idles can u wiggle the throttle cable and change the idle or manually close the throttle while it runs and see if it idles down

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Best way I check for vac leaks is spray bottle of water. Spray around throttle body and upper and lower intake at gasket areas . Please don't let engine be super hot when testing ... Car should stumble if area is leaking. Some people use flammable items like carb cleaner but that can get dangerous very fast ....
Old 04-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No I can't change the rpm by wiggling the throttle cable. Don't know what else to do. I'll ck for leaks again
Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

When it idles high and you unplug the iac does it lower rpm? Is your PVC connected and working?

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Also try pinching shut the vacuum lines one at a time and see if idle drops . You could have one hooked up backwards

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT