Mustang Evolution Forum banner

94 stock gt steering parts replacement

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  dreamstang 
#1 ·
A local shop inspected my steering and suspension.... and I wasnt happy with the results . Anyways, instead of paying $1200 for this shop to replace my tie rod ends , me and a friend are gonna do the work. I decided itll be best if I just change the rack & pinion. What are the other necessary parts that I need to buy to put the rack on? Like bushings,? Or anything else? Should I replace ball joints also? And how many ball joints are there?

#2 ·
First buy you a Chilton's or Haynes manual if you do not already have one.

The rack mounting bushings are one thing I would replace while doing the procedure.
You have 2 ball joints, one in each lower front control arm.
You may have to buy the outer tie rod ends separately. I don't know if they come with the rack or not.

#4 ·
:cool: Then you two guys can compare notes and share knowledge.
Thanks for stepping up. :good:

#6 ·
Ok so we finished putting the rack & pinion and outer tie rods on. And now when I start the car my power steering pump whines. Fluid is full. Can somebody tell me the correct procedure to bleeding the system? Or any other ideas whats going on? The old power steering fluid was BAD. Very dirty. So any help getting my car to stop whining like a 6 year old child would be greatly appreciated

#8 ·
Sorry, but if it is whining it is unlikely to stop.

That usually signifies that the pump vanes have been damaged. :(

#11 ·
If its the pump summit racing sells remanufactured ones for like 50-60$

But for chits and giggles I would still try to bleed it

Bleeding Power Steering
+1 :good:
Definitely try that first as air trapped in the pump could cause the same type of noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.