Looking at upgrading front brakes. (Help) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Looking at upgrading front brakes. (Help)

Been looking at getting drilled and or slotted rotors up front. Seen some good used Wilwood rotors and calipers for a good price. I looked on their website to gather more information and it said you cant use a hub style rotor with abs? It was showing me I would have to get a hat style rotor. Someone please enlighten me.

Here's the rotors and calipers

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4188222420.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	47888

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2105729830.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	47889
1995boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Those photos are of rotors with hubs. The "hat" (silver part) should contain bearings just like your factory hub, but not sealed. You would remove your factory hub and slide that whole assembly on the bare spindle, but not run ABS. To run ABS with the ABS ring on the hub you need a "hat" without a hub to use your factory hub and not have interference. This looks like the correct hat you would need assuming you have a 95 with cobra factory brakes. I would contact Wilwood directly to find out which "hat" you need.

http://www.wilwood.com/Hats/HatProd....temno=170-6223

This should give you an idea how it goes together.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra....66%22%20rears

And here is the number.

tel805) 388-1188

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

After looking at the spindles in the photos and assuming you have a 95 I think they are 96 and up spindles. Maybe not a deal breaker cause you could still most likely use your stock spindles. I would get a model number and check with Wilwood.
SleepingStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Re: Looking at upgrading front brakes. (Help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingStang View Post
Those photos are of rotors with hubs. The "hat" (silver part) should contain bearings just like your factory hub, but not sealed. You would remove your factory hub and slide that whole assembly on the bare spindle, but not run ABS. To run ABS with the ABS ring on the hub you need a "hat" without a hub to use your factory hub and not have interference. This looks like the correct hat you would need assuming you have a 95 with cobra factory brakes. I would contact Wilwood directly to find out which "hat" you need.

Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - Hat No: 170-6223

This should give you an idea how it goes together.

Wilwood High Performance Disc Brakes - 1995 Ford Mustang - Front Brake Kit No.: 140-9107

And here is the number.

tel805) 388-1188

Yeah i already looked into it on the wilwood site. I knew you couldn't have ABS with a Hub and i would have to get a hat assembly. Ill just have to keep looking for a Hat style rotor.

What would it take to go from a 2 piston caliper to a 4 piston caliper? if you would know. I have stock GT calipers at the moment would like to upgrade.
1995boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Should just be 4 piston calipers and brackets at the wheel. You will most likely need to change the brake booster out as well to regain stock pedal feel. May need new hoses up front as well as the cobra calipers are known to be different and sold under Motorcraft, PBR, and Bear names although they are all the same except for the logo on the face.
SleepingStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« Fan shroud | Trans »