Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Pistons

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Trojan Horse 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I'm looking to buy a good cheap set a pistons anyone know a good set or does anyone have some they would like to sell? And what cheap changes can I make to get the most HP out of my 302 roller motor

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Oh and it's a 1991 lx car with a 392 roller motor in it just needing some ideas I want the most HP but am on a cheap budge it's got a e303 cam in it now but I'd like to upgrade that to something more out there anyone know Of a good one to get

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

My bad it is a 302 dumb phone

#2 ·
To buy or sell to or from members you have to have 100 posts minimum and it must be done in the "Classifieds" section only. Sorry, but that's the Boss's orders to keep members safe from unsavory characters.

Once your post count is high enough you can get a discount from most of our site sponsors.
They are located here - Support Our Sponsors

That being out of the way, you do not want a "cheap" set of pistons.
They are one of the engine components you do not want to scrimp on.
Get a good set of forged pistons that will hold up to any future modifications you might make.

There are no cheap changes to get the most out of your engine. browse the sticky thread "In the Beginning" to get an idea of where to start.
The best mod you can make that will result in the most HP is an HCI or Top End kit.
Trick Flow makes one that advertises 360 HP by installing their kit.

#4 ·
Exactly what does your top end consist of and what kind of heads?

#6 ·
This is what happen to one of my pistons

Soil Circle

I have 73 model 351w heads e303 cam aftermarket pulleys holly carb hooker headers cold air intake msd ign system rocker roller arms aftermarket push rods and I'm just looking for the right set of pistons to give me that extra push before I tore into the motor I was running 12.5 1/4 mile

#7 ·
This is what happen to one of my pistons

View attachment 48115

I have 73 model 351w heads e303 cam aftermarket pulleys holly carb hooker headers cold air intake msd ign system rocker roller arms aftermarket push rods and I'm just looking for the right set of pistons to give me that extra push before I tore into the motor I was running 12.5 1/4 mile
:eek: That looks like detonation damage. You better plan on a good set of forged pistons and some tuning. :good:

Those old 351W heads are leaving a lot of power on the table.
You can easily gain 70-100 HP by going with a set of aftermarket aluminum heads.
Plus the aluminum heads will decrease your chance of detonation because they dissipate heat much faster than iron.

#9 ·
If you don't have or want to buy a set of aluminum heads I would use a set of E7 or GT40 heads with bigger valves installed and a good port and polish job. Then get a good set of forged pistons with valve reliefs cut in them to assure you have adequate PTV clearance.

A set of Trick Flow or AFR aluminum heads would make a world of difference though.
Like I said you would be looking at a 70-100 HP increase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.