Long Tube Headers Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Long Tube Headers Question

okay im gonna be buying long tube headers in a week and a half about, and im wondering how much of a difference it makes if i go with bbks which are about 320$ or like a flowtech for 128$ or anything in between in price. i dont wanna spend too much but ill spend the extra cash if itll make a big difference.
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Basically quality. Fitment finish etc.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

I havnt used flowtech so I can't give you any info on them. I run a cheap set of summit headers with no issues though.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I personally love BBK products. Never had a problem with them on my 1995 GT, they give a lot of high end power and the sound it's awesome. As for the install, for the passenger side you WILL have to drop the motor to make it fit. Drivers side is a breeze, have fun don't swear to much hahaha
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have bbk long tubes with h pipe love em
intensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Long Tube Headers Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene View Post
I personally love BBK products. Never had a problem with them on my 1995 GT, they give a lot of high end power and the sound it's awesome. As for the install, for the passenger side you WILL have to drop the motor to make it fit. Drivers side is a breeze, have fun don't swear to much hahaha
how come i have to drop the motor? like whats in the way and can i jack it up a bit or no
Old 04-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody

how come i have to drop the motor? like whats in the way and can i jack it up a bit or no
You'll see. It's been years sense I did mine. But you defiantly have to take the passenger side motor mount bolt out and drop it a few inches.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene

You'll see. It's been years sense I did mine. But you defiantly have to take the passenger side motor mount bolt out and drop it a few inches.
I thought all you needed to do was unbolt the steering shaft on the drivers side with no probs on the passenger side? I know a friend of mine had to lift the motor for his Mac gt40 long tubes

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene View Post
well i blew the rubber bushing out of it lol i was gonna change it today but i might wait bc my motors sagging like an inch and a half already

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
I thought all you needed to do was unbolt the steering shaft on the drivers side with no probs on the passenger side? I know a friend of mine had to lift the motor for his Mac gt40 long tubes
thats what i thought
Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I put BBK long tubes on mine and the only thing I had to do was pull the passenger side valve cover. No motor lifting or dropping required

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
okay im gonna be buying long tube headers in a week and a half about, and im wondering how much of a difference it makes if i go with bbks which are about 320$ or like a flowtech for 128$ or anything in between in price. i dont wanna spend too much but ill spend the extra cash if itll make a big difference.
i went cheap and did the flow tech ugh what a mess. i gave up amd took it to a shop. nothing fit right but they do.sound good with a x pipe and 40 series flowz on 2 1/2 in pipe.
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Basically quality. Fitment finish etc.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

I havnt used flowtech so I can't give you any info on them. I run a cheap set of summit headers with no issues though.
how complicated was it fitting the summit ones?
Old 04-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Road Trip!

My summits are shorties. But fitment was great, no leaks etc.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
My summits are shorties. But fitment was great, no leaks etc.
How yo car sound with the summit shorties I was thinking bout going with there long tube headers
choppa5307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppa5307

How yo car sound with the summit shorties I was thinking bout going with there long tube headers
They sound like any other shortys. They are almost all the same sounding imo. What your paying for is quality. But they did fit up great. The finish is not the best. The best thing I did to my car was the 10 series.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Shorties vs longtubes isn't really going to create a different sound, unless you're going to leave only headers for exhaust. What's behind the headers matters.

Choosing between Flotech vs BBK is about as difficult as turnips or mashed potatoes... BBK is far and away a better product. I still like MAC though, and many don't. Personally, I used Hooker Super Comp long tubes on my last build. $650 and a real pain to install, but they're ceramic coated 2" primaries...

If you're doing these on a 347, don't cheap out... Get the good stuff.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by All41
Shorties vs longtubes isn't really going to create a different sound, unless you're going to leave only headers for exhaust. What's behind the headers matters.

Choosing between Flotech vs BBK is about as difficult as turnips or mashed potatoes... BBK is far and away a better product. I still like MAC though, and many don't. Personally, I used Hooker Super Comp long tubes on my last build. $650 and a real pain to install, but they're ceramic coated 2" primaries...

If you're doing these on a 347, don't cheap out... Get the good stuff.
So you're saying the bbks are worth thhe 320ish I believe on summit? Instead of the summit brand for 130ish. I don't wanna be cheap about it but if its worth the extra money ill go for it.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:

So you're saying the bbks are worth thhe 320ish I believe on summit? Instead of the summit brand for 130ish. I don't wanna be cheap about it but if its worth the extra money ill go for it.
If you have the money get the better ones. If you can't afford the better ones and are willing to sacrifice a little quality get the cheaper ones. I actually scored my headers off eBay. They were brand new and I got them for 30$, so for me it was a no brainer. They fit great but the chrome was poorly done. And you don't even really notice the poor chrome cause it more on the bottom side of them.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post
I have never used or installed Summit's version. That said, do some research... even call and ask the folks at Summit... They may end up saying these are made exactly the same as BBKs... If they told you that, you'd have reason to save money by buying the "non-branded" version.

I would certainly get BBKs for their higher price, sooner than Flotech for their lower price. Flotech is simply enough, a low end brand.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Well I can tell you how the summit brand is in about a month or so I just bought the summit brand long tubes and summit brand offroad X pipe been sitting in the box in living room for a few weeks now just haven't had time to install yet
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Well I can tell you how the summit brand is in about a month or so I just bought the summit brand long tubes and summit brand offroad X pipe been sitting in the box in living room for a few weeks now just haven't had time to install yet
How does the finish look?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Finish looks good out the box. They look like my hooker super comps did out of the box

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

And be honest after 7 yrs my hookers are all rusty and looks like crap but then I didn't buy them for what they look like. I didn't build a show car.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Finish looks good out the box. They look like my hooker super comps did out of the box

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

And be honest after 7 yrs my hookers are all rusty and looks like crap but then I didn't buy them for what they look like. I didn't build a show car.
thats how i felt to about mine. honestly after a long time most headers will rust just because all the heat cycles they go through.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yep an if you building a show car still you'll be better off getting sometime cheap and having it chrome plated or powdercoated. The only differences in my book between cheap headers and expensive headers is the price. There all bent tubing the bolts up. Your paying for your coating that eventually will fade chip crack rust etc etc etc. Unless you don't drive the car then what's the point of building if you don't drive it. Now depending on what your looking for bigger piping, steel, aluminum whatever then look for that and you'll pay a little more but for just plain black long tubes. The real difference is just the price IMO. I've paid $650 for hookers and 6-7 years later only way to tell that they are hookers over a junk yard pair of stock headers is the tag hooker welds on them that says hooker.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

That's why "Hooker" welds that tag on there.

A good set of ceramic coated headers will last for years and they also provide the benefits of the ceramic insulating the header reducing exhaust system heat loss, under hood temperatures and smoothing out the flow path if they are coated inside and out. The only issues are that they are abysmally expensive and the coating is relatively easy to crack or chip.

Were money not an issue I would choose a top of the line SS header and have them ceramic coated. As it is, Summits, Jegs or BBK will have to work for me.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

I have summits on my 302 bronco and they were a pain to fit, but work as well as any other brand. The cost difference more than made up for the extra fitting time

I am going to be putting some BBK's on my 89, but just because I got a deal on them
vt89gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
That's why "Hooker" welds that tag on there.

A good set of ceramic coated headers will last for years and they also provide the benefits of the ceramic insulating the header reducing exhaust system heat loss, under hood temperatures and smoothing out the flow path if they are coated inside and out. The only issues are that they are abysmally expensive and the coating is relatively easy to crack or chip.

Were money not an issue I would choose a top of the line SS header and have them ceramic coated. As it is, Summits, Jegs or BBK will have to work for me.
im most likely gonna go with summit i have the money for bbk but if i go with summit i can get some other things my car may need or want

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT