Ac - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Ac

I was driving my cr yesterday and got a question. Is it normal for when you have your ac on and when u give it has the ac will almost quit blowing. I didn't know if this was normal or what. I can be cruising down the road and with my ac on high I can give it gas and it almost completely stops.
I am also fighting a slight high idle issue. Could this be linked somehow? Thanks
Travis B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Does your blower almost quit blowing. Do you have underdrive pulleys? Alternator size? First thing would be to knock out the idle issue
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis B View Post
I was driving my cr yesterday and got a question. Is it normal for when you have your ac on and when u give it has the ac will almost quit blowing. I didn't know if this was normal or what. I can be cruising down the road and with my ac on high I can give it gas and it almost completely stops.
I am also fighting a slight high idle issue. Could this be linked somehow? Thanks
I really don't remember for 100% sure, but it seems like I read somewhere that at WOT the A/C is momentarily shut down to enable better acceleration for safer highway passing.

I do know that the ECU will kick the idle up a bit when the A/C comes on to compensate for the increased engine load to prevent the engine from stalling.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It is normal. When you press hard on the gas, the computer interprets that you wanna move fast. This is called Wide Open Throttle (WOT). The ac compressor is shut off to give you back a few horsepower until you let up off the pedal.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis B
Your high idle issue is not related to WOT or the AC. Check your TPS and reset the base timing.
Kjohnson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjohnson1 View Post
It is normal. When you press hard on the gas, the computer interprets that you wanna move fast. This is called Wide Open Throttle (WOT). The ac compressor is shut off to give you back a few horsepower until you let up off the pedal.

Your high idle issue is not related to WOT or the AC. Check your TPS and reset the base timing.
I thought that was the case, thanks for confirming it.

Since he said "slight" high idle, I figured he may be experiencing the small idle increase that should happen when the A/C kicks in.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Shutting off the AC compressor would not make the vents stop blowing air. If you peg the motor for 10-15 seconds you should not notice a difference in air temp really.

I don't have specific knowledge of the issue, but I'm guessing it is either the computer cutting off the fan(to reduce power required by the alt to power the fan), or the fan is vacuum controlled and when you peg the motor you are dropping the vacuum enough to cut off the fan. I seem to remember our HVAC system is vac controlled so I am going with the latter.

A vacuum leak could also be causing the higher idle, and adding to the fan cutting off when you go into higher RPM and lower vacuum production.
vt89gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

My high idle is I can not get it any lower than about 1100 Roma. An when I stop at a stop light my rpms are about 1800 and then it takes about 45 seconds before it will for back to around 1100.
I already cleaned the maf and replaced the iac. I checked the tps voltage and set it to .98 volts and reset my idle. Any help would be awesome. I can't find a vac leak and I put a gauge on it. At the distribution block I have 17-18. Please help.
Travis B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have 2 Ford trucks that do the same thing. My 05 Stang does it too.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
My high idle is I can not get it any lower than about 1100 Roma. An when I stop at a stop light my rpms are about 1800 and then it takes about 45 seconds before it will for back to around 1100.
I already cleaned the maf and replaced the iac. I checked the tps voltage and set it to .98 volts and reset my idle. Any help would be awesome. I can't find a vac leak and I put a gauge on it. At the distribution block I have 17-18. Please help.
That is pretty good vacuum so it doesn't sound like a leak. I am leaning towards thinking it is just the vacuum dropping when the trottle opens, and thus the fan not receiving the signal and cuts off.

Might be someone with more HVAC knowledge than me who knows differently. But either way if that is your biggest concern on a 20ish year old vehicle, be happy.
vt89gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
There are 2-3 articles in the Useful Info thread that will probably help you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT