timing issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Region: Canada
timing issue

So.i did a head job on my 5.0and it was running lean as soon as i turned my distributor to change the timing it stalled and now it wont run again anyone tell me wtf happened
stang4life1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Could still be timing. Did you make sure u used the right firing order? Never hurts to start back at tdc and double check.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

Ya i double checked and i had a friend double check for me just incase i screwed up

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Ill try again at tdc and see if i will go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Road Trip!

what i do is set the crank where i will have my timing set, not tdc. example i use 14* before tdc then i line the dizzy up right on the #1. this technique works great. the reason i asked about the firing order is that there are 2 f orders in the book. i have caught myself trying to use the wrong one before.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: timing issue

It's a;so possible that your TFI or PIP chose that moment to die, make sure you have fire.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

Ya i just googled the firing order and theres just a 5.0 and a 5.0 ho and my firing order is wrong ill change it and start over

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

And also.check to make sure i have spark
Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #7

Ok i re did my wires have a full battery checked for spark started from tdc and still wont fire what else might i maybe missing
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: timing issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang4life1 View Post
Ok i re did my wires have a full battery checked for spark started from tdc and still wont fire what else might i maybe missing
You need 4 things for an engine to run.
1. Air
2. Fuel
3. Spark
4. Compression

You say you checked for spark yet it will not fire, assuming that the air intake is ok, then you may have a fuel or compression issue.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Try rotating the crank another full turn and restabbing the distributor. I've accidentally done that once, rotated the crank another turn and fixed the problem.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #10

I just tried that and it started but ran really high idle and as soon as i turned the dizzy it stopped running and wont start again

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

I went so the harmonic balance btc and atc were under the motor and changed my wires so hole 1 was first to fire it worked but now wont so going back to tdc and starting over pull the dizzy and line all.my wires up again
Old 05-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Still sounds like you have the timing off. Make sure when you set the dizzy you are on the compression stroke. You can do this by pulling the #1 spark plug and feel the air push your finger off the whole while reining the motor over by hand.

What all upgrades did you do? You may run a little high or rich for a little bit. If you get it running give the ecu some time to relearn its parameters. Also depending on what you did you may have to reset you idle.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Set the harmonic balancer to 10* btdc. Then when u stab the dizzy allow for it to rotate and since your dizzy will be at exact 10* timing you want, align the dizzy to exactly pointing at #1 wire. Don't forget when you hook the wires to dizzy in firing order that the dizzy rotates counter clockwise. Also don't fight the oil pump shaft. When you know you have the dizzy on the right tooth simply rotate the crank a little bit and the dizzy will drop in.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #12

I just did heads from.my other 5.0ho the old ones in my car had seals gone and was burning oil cleaned everything up and put these good heads on new gaskets on everything it took off

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT