Really Stupid Question..need help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Really Stupid Question..need help

How important is this?(pic) it plugs in to the tail light wire harness part that leads under the driver seat i wanna say the fuel pump relay but could be wrong. it had the adapter type thing on my old harness which wasnt the correct harness for the car but on the one i installed which was the correct one there isnt anywhere to plug it in at please help any info is needed thanks
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
do you have a picture of what your talking about and what year car is it?
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Really Stupid Question..need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack View Post
do you have a picture of what your talking about and what year car is it?
1993 was fuel injected now its carbed ill go get a pic itll take me a few minutes and oh my bad just realized i didnt upload the pic
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

ill get a pic of both harnesses where it would be and where it was
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

you said this connects under the driver seat if so i'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with power seats. maybe the one harness came out of a car with power seats. when you Get your pics posted i'm sure we can figure out.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

alright the one pic is of the harness part that in there now under the seat

the one showing the gray adapter part is what i thought may be where this piece should gpo but maybe the pice was a little different for different years idk

the green piece is in the old harness where it was plugged in

i apologize for the bad pics bc its pitch black out and the only light i had was the one in my car and the flash on the camera

and another thing idk if this infos needed but i do have a holly fuel pump idk if that important or not
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Looks like a relay, possibly your fuel pump relay?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Looks like a relay, possibly your fuel pump relay?
Stupid question but is it needed. Bc my fuel pump still pumps without it. And idk why there isn't one on the new wire harness

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

Another stupid question but whatexactly does it do. I have no clue with car wiring really
Old 05-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post
Stupid question but is it needed. Bc my fuel pump still pumps without it. And idk why there isn't one on the new wire harness

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

Another stupid question but whatexactly does it do. I have no clue with car wiring really
If the factory location??? fuel pump still works then it is not the fuel pump relay.
The fuel pump relay supplies power to the fuel pump.

Like stated earlier it may be a relay for power seats.
If you have a Chiltons manual with the wiring diagrams trace out the wiring for the year car it came from.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Maybe Lumbar support. I am not positive, but I have never seen a fox with factory power seats
vt89gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

If the factory location??? fuel pump still works then it is not the fuel pump relay.
The fuel pump relay supplies power to the fuel pump.

Like stated earlier it may be a relay for power seats.
If you have a Chiltons manual with the wiring diagrams trace out the wiring for the year car it came from.
Since he is carbed he may have a different for relay
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Since he is carbed he may have a different for relay
thats what i thought but the pump still pumps without it so ill let it go till it causes problems i guess lol
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody

thats what i thought but the pump still pumps without it so ill let it go till it causes problems i guess lol
When people do this conversion they usually install an aftermarket relay by the tank area somewhere.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

When people do this conversion they usually install an aftermarket relay by the tank area somewhere.
Do you think if this is the relay for it its needed?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:

Do you think if this is the relay for it its needed?
Yes there should be some kind of fp relay.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes there should be some kind of fp relay.
Now I just had my car running and the fuel pump pumped fine and idled for 20minutes no prob. Untill the neighbors called the cops. So would it not be able to pump fine without it? Unless there's a relay somewhere else that idk about
Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
Road Trip!

a fuel pump will work with no relay if it was wired that way. this is not recommended though. but on a factory setup, u just unplug the relay the fuel pump will not work. to work with no relay it has to be wired that way. but like i said earlier, alot of times when people carb convert they wire in there own relay.

do you have an external fuel pump? or in tank fuel pump? if you are curious if there is a aftermarket relay then go to the fuel pump and chase the wires til you find where the go.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
a fuel pump will work with no relay if it was wired that way. this is not recommended though. but on a factory setup, u just unplug the relay the fuel pump will not work. to work with no relay it has to be wired that way. but like i said earlier, alot of times when people carb convert they wire in there own relay.

do you have an external fuel pump? or in tank fuel pump? if you are curious if there is a aftermarket relay then go to the fuel pump and chase the wires til you find where the go.
External. And I somewhat traced em a while ago but I didn't see any relays
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Road Trip!

the only real way to tell is to find the power source. which would require a full trace. but anyways if it does stay running when you unplug whatevers under the seat, then thats not the relay.
how does your pump turn on? does it turn on with the key? or does it have a toggle switch? when you turn the key forward does the pump prime for 2 seconds then shut off?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the only real way to tell is to find the power source. which would require a full trace. but anyways if it does stay running when you unplug whatevers under the seat, then thats not the relay.
how does your pump turn on? does it turn on with the key? or does it have a toggle switch? when you turn the key forward does the pump prime for 2 seconds then shut off?
The pump pumps with a key and na it doesn't shut off. It'll keep going. Even with that possible relay
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #21
Road Trip!

then it has definatley been rewired at some point. on my car i rewired the factory relay to work with my carb setup. it was real simple. all i had to do is take one wire off of the fp relay and hook it to ground. that wire is the one that originally got its groung signal from the ecu. since i am no longer using the ecu, this was the fix to save the stock relay. if you want i can dig through my build thread and find out what wire that was so you can see if that was done to yours. all though not to many people seemed to know that trick when i was trying to figure it out.

i have this hunch that since your tail lights arent working properly, someone may have wired your fuel pump directly to a 12 ignition power source. which is your tail lights. with out the relay and because the fuel pump draws alot of power this could be a problem. that is if this is whats going on. where do the wires off the fuel pump go. do they go towards the trunk area. we need to know this.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
then it has definatley been rewired at some point. on my car i rewired the factory relay to work with my carb setup. it was real simple. all i had to do is take one wire off of the fp relay and hook it to ground. that wire is the one that originally got its groung signal from the ecu. since i am no longer using the ecu, this was the fix to save the stock relay. if you want i can dig through my build thread and find out what wire that was so you can see if that was done to yours. all though not to many people seemed to know that trick when i was trying to figure it out.

i have this hunch that since your tail lights arent working properly, someone may have wired your fuel pump directly to a 12 ignition power source. which is your tail lights. with out the relay and because the fuel pump draws alot of power this could be a problem. that is if this is whats going on. where do the wires off the fuel pump go. do they go towards the trunk area. we need to know this.
One wire is grounded right under the trunk then another wire goes up through the trunk and along the passenger side then over and into the fuse that the radios in. Andthere is I believe 4 wires that come out of the trunk and connect to the tail light harness

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Oh and another wire goes up behind the passenger kciker pannel and goes into some black piece and one wire goes to the fuse box and another goes through the firewall and over to starter solenoid

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Well the same wire that comes off the pump along the pass. side into some black piece on the frame then the two come out
Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

heres a pic oif that black piece behind the kicker panel on the passenger side and before said 3 wires went into it its actually 4
3 reds and a brown which is the one that comes from the pump
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
heres a pic oif that black piece behind the kicker panel on the passenger side and before said 3 wires went into it its actually 4
3 reds and a brown which is the one that comes from the pump
It's hard for me to tell what the black thing is in the pic. So what your saying is all these wires go to the pump. And the wire from the radio fuse? If there is that many wires there has to be a relay for it. Or that is a relay, but I can't see it very well. The factory relay under the front seat is usually mounted, centered in between the 2 front seat bolts.

And for the tail lights. Are you getting power to the harness. Because if you lay out the plugs to each spot they go. Then do all the functions it takes to turn on each light on. Like tap the brake pedal etc. Then figure out which wire is getting power. Then match it to the new harness. That may help you figure that out.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's hard for me to tell what the black thing is in the pic. So what your saying is all these wires go to the pump. And the wire from the radio fuse? If there is that many wires there has to be a relay for it. Or that is a relay, but I can't see it very well. The factory relay under the front seat is usually mounted, centered in between the 2 front seat bolts.

And for the tail lights. Are you getting power to the harness. Because if you lay out the plugs to each spot they go. Then do all the functions it takes to turn on each light on. Like tap the brake pedal etc. Then figure out which wire is getting power. Then match it to the new harness. That may help you figure that out.
So there is a chance that black piece could be the relay? And the whole harness is good bc I tested the wires and all the blinkers work the brake lights work the reverse lights work 4ways everything except the tail lights themselves. I'm thinking its somthing in the fusebox maybe bc the 15 amp fuse doesn't do anything but a 30 makes them dim. The pervious owner put a 30 in there but it starts getting hot and smells like its burning. I took it out when. I bought it and tried it with the new harness but same thing

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

And ill try to get a better pic of it after school
Old 05-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #26
Road Trip!

A better pic will definitely help. Cause I can't see much in that one. If the rest of the stuff in that harness work. I would start at the tail light. And Chase those wires all the way. The I would guess that there is a damaged wire Or bad connection somewhere in that wire. Also make sure the bulbs aren't broken. A broken bulb can cause a short also.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A better pic will definitely help. Cause I can't see much in that one. If the rest of the stuff in that harness work. I would start at the tail light. And Chase those wires all the way. The I would guess that there is a damaged wire Or bad connection somewhere in that wire. Also make sure the bulbs aren't broken. A broken bulb can cause a short also.
I tested every wire in the harness and they're all good and all new bulbs so I'm guessing it has to be somewhere else. And ill get a pic of the black piece for the pump as soon as I could
Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

sounds to me like a grounding issue with your lights but I have not read the whole thread.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack
sounds to me like a grounding issue with your lights but I have not read the whole thread.
That's what alota people said but I checked all the grounds on the harness. Cleaned em up and all and its still doing it so idk if its that
Old 05-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #30
Road Trip!

did you check each wire for shorts also?

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

are using a multimeter or just a test light?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

good point because a test light will still light up with a weak ground.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #32
Road Trip!

also can use it to check if any of them are shorted out.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
also can use it to check if any of them are shorted out.
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT