Hose Wizard A/C system questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Hose Wizard A/C system questions

Hey yall. I just placed my order from 50resto for my hose wizard a/c. The system in my car has been gone for lord knows how long. Any way,i have a few questions i hope some of you can help me out with. Does anyone have the wiring for the system? I have heard the instructions are terrible. Also does anyone know how much r-134a this system is gonna use? Im gonna be using an a/c machine so the number of cans wont help me. They say 70-80 percent but my a/c tag is gone so i dont know how much r-12 the car took. I know the ambient temperature is gonna be around 85 degrees high humidty (i am in south louisiana) so what kind of pressure readings should i shoot for? should i adjust the low pressure switch? Sorry for all the questions. Im installing this system at the end of the week. Thanks.
Nicolosi11480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Hose Wizard A/C system questions

1. Useful Mustang Info for the detailed drawings. There are several links.

2. Do not tinker with anything you know nothing about.

3. Get an expert to install the system and charge it up.

If it has been sitting it will need to be vacuumed out and pressure tested, plus the AC compressor can develop DANGEROUS! pressure levels if something is plugged up.

I learned this the hard way and managed to survive the experience, you may not be so lucky.

I was working on a 73 Maverick with a friend.
Neither of us knew much about the AC system, but we were just going to recharge it so we thought we'd be ok.
Unknown to us an "accumulator bag" or something had failed within the system and plugged up the high pressure side of the system.
About the time my friend noticed his gauges had pegged at 500 psi, the car engine pulled down and died and a hose fitting blew apart sending fragments flying everywhere.
We were extremely lucky we didn't get hit.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

My ac system is gonna be 100% new.even the evaporator is brand new. Install is easy. I just wanted to know about average pressure readings because there is no set amount of freon that goes in it. So it's all about ambient temperature,pressure,freon amount and vent temp. I wouldn't ask if I had r12 but since this car wasn't equipped r134a it's a guess. I have done ac work on other cars but not an old car like this. I'm not a home mechanic but I don't know everything either. I guess I'll have to get with my shop Forman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Is this what u are using?

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...on-kit.559388/
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

yes that is the kit im using,thanks for the link it does help a little bit. i work at a ford dealership as a tech but as i said, i dont know everything. i have done minimal ac work im still learning ac. also we lack literature for these old cars and all the new stuff is 100percent different.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
No problem
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Make sure u have enough oil in the system, then I'd say start with 2lbs, check Ur pressures and go from there
1fst86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Low side should be around 30 and high side around 150 or so. These are very rough estimates if the low side reads low then system may be low. After your done installing place system in a deep 30in or more vaccum for at least 45 mins u want no air or moisture in the system. If u want to pressure test do so before placing in a vacuum since pressure testing will add air to the whole system. After all of that is done and the system is running watch guages high side shouldn't go past 300. The low side line should be cold to the touch and high side warm. Make sure your fan is in good working order, if your fan fails your high side pressure will spike very fast especially if it is hot outside. I would highly suggest after u install the system u have a knowledgeable person help u charge the system. Don't forget to add the correct amount and type of compressor oil. This info should be online. If u are using an electric fan then make sure to install a controller that will turn on the fan with the ac. Hope this helps.
1990mustang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^ +1 what he said
1fst86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

^^ +2 I agree 100%.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

i got my a/c kit in.compressor is already filled with oil by hose wizard.they give instructions.granted they are hand written but it answered all my questions.they tell you exactly how much freon and they tell you where you want the pressures to be around and how to adjust.this is gonna be easy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT