pinion bearing replacement - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
pinion bearing replacement

I am about to strip my 8.8 rear end and replace my very loud pinion bearing, rebuild diff and replace all bearings are there any good sites or insight to help me out with correct procedure to install the pinion.

Thanks
1990mustang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
When I bought my gears and install kit it did come with directions.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: pinion bearing replacement

Messing with the pinion can lead to needing to set the pinion depth which will require special tools.Sometimes, if you use Ford gears to replace what you have you can get by without having to do this, because they are all manufactured at the same tolerances and sometimes you cannot.
Look in the Useful Info thread for articles on replacing the gears, etc..
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990mustang5.0
I am about to strip my 8.8 rear end and replace my very loud pinion bearing, rebuild diff and replace all bearings are there any good sites or insight to help me out with correct procedure to install the pinion.

Thanks
AM has a good write up I believe, coulda been on headers tho. If not in our stickys, try modded mustang fourm stickys.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Messing with the pinion can lead to needing to set the pinion depth which will require special tools.Sometimes, if you use Ford gears to replace what you have you can get by without having to do this, because they are all manufactured at the same tolerances and sometimes you cannot.
Look in the Useful Info thread for articles on replacing the gears, etc..
I am just replacing the bearings so I plan on reusing the same shims n hopefully I wont disturb to pinion depth its a tbird rear so it has 3.55 already.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990mustang5.0

I am just replacing the bearings so I plan on reusing the same shims n hopefully I wont disturb to pinion depth its a tbird rear so it has 3.55 already.
Doesn't mean the bearing is identical either. I would at least check mesh and backlash.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990mustang5.0 View Post
Then you should have no issues.
I was not sure if your rebuild included new gears or not.
When rebuilding the differential you can use the "S" spring from an F150 in it for increased holding power.

If you have a Chilton's or Haynes manual it may have the procedure for replacing the bearings. There is an article or two in the Useful Info thread that may help too. Also check You Tube, I believe there are a few videos there that may also help.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When rebuilding the differential you can use the "S" spring from an F150 in it for increased holding power.

If you have a Chilton's or Haynes manual it may have the procedure for replacing the bearings. There is an article or two in the Useful Info thread that may help too. Also check You Tube, I believe there are a few videos there that may also help.
I was looking at the carbon fiber rebuild kit from latemodelresto comes with new spring a 03 cobra spec dif. And the rebuild kit with gt500 style pinion bearings I use the car for some open track events so this looked like a good upgrade
Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990mustang5.0 View Post
I was looking at the carbon fiber rebuild kit from latemodelresto comes with new spring a 03 cobra spec dif. And the rebuild kit with gt500 style pinion bearings I use the car for some open track events so this looked like a good upgrade
That should do the job and make you a much better rearend.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:

Just curious, you don't think he may still need to reset everything? I would just figure use the same shim pack and check it real good. But you never know if those bearings are identical to the originals. In a prefect world they would be. Like I said just curious for my own future reference.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Just curious, you don't think he may still need to reset everything? I would just figure use the same shim pack and check it real good. But you never know if those bearings are identical to the originals. In a prefect world they would be. Like I said just curious for my own future reference.
Your thinking is correct, and he should check the backlash and pattern at the minimum.
Those two checks should tell him if it is out of whack and yes with the bearing variations we get nowadays it is a good idea to check.

I missed the post where he said "all bearings", so yes there could very well be some differences. Sorry man, lot of pain today and I'm not thinking real clear. Thank you once again for watching my back and ensuring my postings are correct. I really appreciate that.

I have replaced several pinion bearings only in the past though and they turned out ok, going back together with no shim changes.
I always had more trouble getting the crush sleeve, to crush and torque properly.
Thankfully, I believe you can get a solid spacer to take its place nowadays.

Anyways, I think you can cover this one ok without me and I'm having a hard time concentrating, so I'm going to crash for a while.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:

Your thinking is correct, and he should check the backlash and pattern at the minimum.
Those two checks should tell him if it is out of whack and yes with the bearing variations we get nowadays it is a good idea to check.

I missed the post where he said "all bearings", so yes there could very well be some differences. Sorry man, lot of pain today and I'm not thinking real clear. Thank you once again for watching my back and ensuring my postings are correct. I really appreciate that.

I have replaced several pinion bearings only in the past though and they turned out ok, going back together with no shim changes.
I always had more trouble getting the crush sleeve, to crush and torque properly.
Thankfully, I believe you can get a solid spacer to take its place nowadays.

Anyways, I think you can cover this one ok without me and I'm having a hard time concentrating, so I'm going to crash for a while.
Sure man. Go take yourself a nap. I just wanted to make sure he knew to check everything. But I am less experienced than you so just wanted to make sure.
Even in your medded state your advice is still better than most of us.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah ill check backlash and wear pattern. I work at a honda dealer....I know so I don't get to mess with rear drive that often. That's for all your input I think ill be able to handle it now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT