convertable top - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
convertable top

I need to install a new top. Just wondering how difficult its going to be. Also I bought it in winter and the guy insisted on putting it up. He either fried the motor or something else. Is there a relay or something for it. The car is a 1983 gt.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Difficulty 8 1/2 out if 10. It's 10/10 if you don't by the DVD. But anyone can do it with basic skill, patience, and attention to detail.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: convertable top

Does the top need replacing or just the motor?

The top is a real B. Local to me there are only two places that will work on them because of this. I watched mine being replaced once and was happy I paid him to(Or that my insurance was), but think I could hav pulled it off with a ton of adjusting and time.

First thing the guy did was take out the front seats and I think that would almost be required.

Also the top will be really tight for a couple days until it stretches out some.
vt89gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Difficulty 8 1/2 out if 10. It's 10/10 if you don't by the DVD. But anyone can do it with basic skill, patience, and attention to detail.
I've seen a sebring top installed, the guys were having a pretty tough time. Does the mustang top staple along the front? Also is ther a relay on the top motor?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

I've seen a sebring top installed, the guys were having a pretty tough time. Does the mustang top staple along the front? Also is ther a relay on the top motor?
i would think there would be a relay but i have never messed with it.

it takes close to 500 staples front and back. and glue is used also. the new top comes with lines on it where to line everything up to. the stretching of the top is actually pretty easy. the tricky thing is getting the rear bow right. it has to be tensioned till it ends up at a specific height. this can be done using the pads. i would suggest getting an air stapler. i picked one up at menards for about 25$ and it came with all the staples i need. there is actually 2 or 3 different size staples needed.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

VT89 ... The top def needs replaced or dyed. The motor makes no sound at all now. The guy either burnt it up trying to close a frozen top or poss blew a relay if we have one. Idk
Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
Road Trip!

i have seen trojan recomend this. and i actually was thinking of getting it.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Top-Guide-Book
Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

i would think there would be a relay but i have never messed with it.

it takes close to 500 staples front and back. and glue is used also. the new top comes with lines on it where to line everything up to. the stretching of the top is actually pretty easy. the tricky thing is getting the rear bow right. it has to be tensioned till it ends up at a specific height. this can be done using the pads. i would suggest getting an air stapler. i picked one up at menards for about 25$ and it came with all the staples i need. there is actually 2 or 3 different size staples needed.
That 8.5 is starting to make sense. Thanks when I get it going I might need some more advice. Lotta irons in the fire + its riding season.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

I'll deff pick that book up , handy for everything
Old 05-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

That 8.5 is starting to make sense. Thanks when I get it going I might need some more advice. Lotta irons in the fire + its riding season.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

I'll deff pick that book up , handy for everything
and the how to dvd. its a must for the install!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, lot of staples.

As for the motor. It is a hydrolic(Spelling) motor powers the system. Should be a relay of some type somewhere that sends power to the motor. IIRC you can access the motor by dropping the cover thing in the trunk. I would use a multimeter on the power going to the motor and have a friend push the button to find out if it is an electrical issue, or motor issue.

I am sure there is also a fuse in fuse box, so might want to check them first.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt89gtvert View Post
Yeah, lot of staples.

As for the motor. It is a hydrolic(Spelling) motor powers the system. Should be a relay of some type somewhere that sends power to the motor. IIRC you can access the motor by dropping the cover thing in the trunk. I would use a multimeter on the power going to the motor and have a friend push the button to find out if it is an electrical issue, or motor issue.

I am sure there is also a fuse in fuse box, so might want to check them first.
It's actually an electric motor powering a hydraulic pump.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
It's actually an electric motor powering a hydraulic pump.
I'm pretty sure it is a hydraulic motor. Burns hydraulic fluid and all, but it is super effecient. You will barely notice the exhaust even with the top up.

I'm pretty sure he got the idea either way, but thanks for pointing out the little things in life.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt89gtvert View Post
I'm pretty sure it is a hydraulic motor. Burns hydraulic fluid and all, but it is super effecient. You will barely notice the exhaust even with the top up.

I'm pretty sure he got the idea either way, but thanks for pointing out the little things in life.
Like they say, "The devil is in the details".
It seems like misinformation spreads like wildfire, while factual information stagnates and is ignored.
By making corrections or adding to information whenever I can, I hope to make this site one of the best information gathering places on the internet for our cars.
No offense intended.

It really is an electric motor with a hydraulic pump. The pump provides the pressure to move the hydraulic cylinders which raise and lower the top.

Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT