headers question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
headers question

anything else i need to buy when i buy my longtubes from summit besides gaskets summit brand longtubes any parts that need to be altered or replaced
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
If you don't already have header bolts I recommend them. They have a smaller head on them to get a wrench on. Since the newer pipes are larger that stock. If you can swing a few extra bucks get the locking ones.

And also don't forget and a couple heating and cooling cycles check the bolts cause sometimes they back out a little.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Re: headers question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
If you don't already have header bolts I recommend them. They have a smaller head on them to get a wrench on. Since the newer pipes are larger that stock. If you can swing a few extra bucks get the locking ones.

And also don't forget and a couple heating and cooling cycles check the bolts cause sometimes they back out a little.
any specific ones from summit? im ordering them now
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
5.8GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 40
Do they come with collectors?
5.8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
No preference from me. I would just get what you could afford. Make sure you get 16 though. Because some only come in 8 packs
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Re: headers question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
No preference from me. I would just get what you could afford. Make sure you get 16 though. Because some only come in 8 packs
alright thanks did you have any trouble fitting summit longtubes? i think you said you had em if not sorry i must have been thinking of someone else
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody

alright thanks did you have any trouble fitting summit longtubes? i think you said you had em if not sorry i must have been thinking of someone else
i have summit shortys. my comments on fitment where brand specific. i have had no problems what so ever with fitment. and i have had them off a few times. and never leaked once except when a couple bolts loosend up on me.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: headers question

Don't forget that if you have shorty's now you will need a different H-Pipe too.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Don't forget that if you have shorty's now you will need a different H-Pipe too.
Are you serious? Its not the stock h pipe. Its an offroad one
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody

Are you serious? Its not the stock h pipe. Its an offroad one
since long tubes are longer than shortys the h pipe will need to be shorter. if you already have long tubes then you dont need to change anything.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

sorry i didnt mention that but i thought someone in your other thread did.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

since long tubes are longer than shortys the h pipe will need to be shorter. if you already have long tubes then you dont need to change anything.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

sorry i didnt mention that but i thought someone in your other thread did.
Am I able to just cut it?
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
you would have to be able to weld the collector flange back on. and im still not positive but there is a good chance thats doable.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
you would have to be able to weld the collector flange back on. and im still not positive but there is a good chance thats doable.
Ill give it a shot I guess lol
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody

Ill give it a shot I guess lol
i guess worst case scenario you have to save for a new mid pipe. but before you start cutting. bolt the headers on. and measure from flange to flange on the headers. then measure on the h pipe in the general area where you are gonna put the flange back on to make sure that the pipe centers are the same. if you are already ordered and wanting to change your mind summit racing is really cool about cancelling your order. but good luck. if you need anything else let us know.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

i guess worst case scenario you have to save for a new mid pipe. but before you start cutting. bolt the headers on. and measure from flange to flange on the headers. then measure on the h pipe in the general area where you are gonna put the flange back on to make sure that the pipe centers are the same. if you are already ordered and wanting to change your mind summit racing is really cool about cancelling your order. but good luck. if you need anything else let us know.
Alright thanks. Ill keep the headers. I'll try to rig this h pipe up but if worse comes to worse ill save up for a new one. Anyone know what offroad ones run? I'm on my phone and I can't check bc my internets kinda slow on it
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #16
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
i checked summit and american muscle for ya. the 2 best prices are bbk at AM for 130 and flow tech on summit for around the same. but the better choice is the bbk plus you could use our forum discount. but before you ordered i would call summit or AM to verify compatability, unless someone one here can.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Oh the reason I said measure good before you cut. Because since you have an or pipe already you maybe able to sell it towards the cost of your new one.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
i checked summit and american muscle for ya. the 2 best prices are bbk at AM for 130 and flow tech on summit for around the same. but the better choice is the bbk plus you could use our forum discount. but before you ordered i would call summit or AM to verify compatability, unless someone one here can.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Oh the reason I said measure good before you cut. Because since you have an or pipe already you maybe able to sell it towards the cost of your new one.
Thank you and I didn't think about selling it. Never thought of it. Ill look into it but thanks
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
no problem. like i said if it doesnt look like it will work then dont cut it.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Iluvmy5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 110
How is the forum discount applied? Is there a promo code that has to be entered or you just say your a forum member and that's that?
Iluvmy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmy5.0
How is the forum discount applied? Is there a promo code that has to be entered or you just say your a forum member and that's that?
once you get 50 posts you can pm the AM forum members and ask them for the code at there discretion. it is done privatley. but you can look in the sticky thread for american muscle under support our sponsors and it will give you the dirty details.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

once you get 50 posts you can pm the AM forum members and ask them for the code at there discretion. it is done privatley. but you can look in the sticky thread for american muscle under support our sponsors and it will give you the dirty details.
Alright lol thanks. I have well over 50 so ill look into it if I do buy one
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #22
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
it is a 6% so it does help. i used it when i bought my heads and it saved me nearly 80$!!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Iluvmy5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 110
Savings is savings! 6% is better than 0% thats for sure!
Iluvmy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bballing0416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 286
You should get stage 8 header bolts....trust me, you dont want to have any leaks!!
Bballing0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
bad_little_pwny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 68
^^i totally agree I'm running arp bolts on mine and I've had no problems whatsoever
bad_little_pwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Re: headers question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_little_pwny View Post
^^i totally agree I'm running arp bolts on mine and I've had no problems whatsoever
i bought apr bolts
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:12 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.