Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 776
Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos

All,

I'm considering "upgrading"my turbo already. Looking at many brands but wondered what people think of Magnum Turbos. I guess they are made in brazil like the Master Power turbos and have identical compressor maps to equivalent sized old model Garretts. Thoughts?
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz View Post
All,

I'm considering "upgrading"my turbo already. Looking at many brands but wondered what people think of Magnum Turbos. I guess they are made in brazil like the Master Power turbos and have identical compressor maps to equivalent sized old model Garretts. Thoughts?
I don't really know Jay.
Having never heard of them, I don't really have an opinion yet.


Do a Google Search for Magnum Turbocharger Reviews and see what that turns up.


I will say that most Turbos I have seen, heard or read about that give problems and fail frequently are almost exclusively "Made In China", so maybe those are ok or at least of decent quality.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 776
Re: Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos

Yeah, I would agree. The turbo company is very new. I have only found a couple of reviews and those are favorable. I might give it a shot.
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
the boost addiction has set in! its only a matter of time before the boss 302 block is on order.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 776
Re: Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos

Haha, that's for sure! I'm still going to run 8-9lbs but just with a more efficient, better quality turbo.
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
just a thought you may want to wait till yours takes a poop before you swap. because you probably wont see to much more gains, mybe a little than yours now at the same psi. but what you might see is less lag. but the downfall is also gonna be that its possile you might need to retune. but i could be wrong.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 776
Re: Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos

Mine did poop, twice. I just took the cheap china turbo from On3 I never upgraded so they have the potential to not last long I'm told. They didn't blow up or anything but they began to eat the housing away. Anyway no retune needed since I will be staying at the same boost level. The better turbo wont make a big enough difference to require a re-tune.
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz
Mine did poop, twice. I just took the cheap china turbo from On3 I never upgraded so they have the potential to not last long I'm told. They didn't blow up or anything but they began to eat the housing away. Anyway no retune needed since I will be staying at the same boost level. The better turbo wont make a big enough difference to require a re-tune.
well played. may as well upgrade now then.

the only reason i was worried about retune was if the better quality turbo spooled faster(which it maynot idk) then it may need different timing and fuel parameters through the lower rpm range. but like i said thats just me thinking and not knowing.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 776
Re: Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
well played. may as well upgrade now then.

the only reason i was worried about retune was if the better quality turbo spooled faster(which it maynot idk) then it may need different timing and fuel parameters through the lower rpm range. but like i said thats just me thinking and not knowing.
Yeah, makes sense. My tuner told me as long as I stay within specs and boost levels of the original turbo that I'm fine.
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz

Yeah, makes sense. My tuner told me as long as I stay within specs and boost levels of the original turbo that I'm fine.
well he probably knows better than i do. i just trying to look out for ya.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 776
Re: Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
well he probably knows better than i do. i just trying to look out for ya.
Oh no worries, I appreciate all advice and opinoins. This time around though I'm doing my research instead of being the test dummy
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz

Oh no worries, I appreciate all advice and opinoins. This time around though I'm doing my research instead of being the test dummy
but you were a great test dummy and lots of people here learned from you. of course make sure you keep us updated.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 776
Re: Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
but you were a great test dummy and lots of people here learned from you. of course make sure you keep us updated.
Haha, happy to help. I will keep everyone posted. I have done research and it turns out that many people have zer life expectancy for the 70mm turbo that comes with the kit. That being said many people get by just fine, go figure. Personally I have found little complaint about failures from all the name brand turbos, and many of them have 1 year warranties where the On3 one has only 30 days.
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz

Haha, happy to help. I will keep everyone posted. I have done research and it turns out that many people have zer life expectancy for the 70mm turbo that comes with the kit. That being said many people get by just fine, go figure. Personally I have found little complaint about failures from all the name brand turbos, and many of them have 1 year warranties where the On3 one has only 30 days.
some people actually buy the really cheap turbo kits off ebay. but mostly for the kit itself. then when the turbos burn p they upgrade them. kinda l,e what ou are doing. im sure your still kicking yourself for not upgrading. live and learn though.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 776
Re: Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
some people actually buy the really cheap turbo kits off ebay. but mostly for the kit itself. then when the turbos burn p they upgrade them. kinda l,e what ou are doing. im sure your still kicking yourself for not upgrading. live and learn though.
Yeah, I sould've purchased the upgraded turbo from Chad at On3 in the first place.
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz

Yeah, I sould've purchased the upgraded turbo from Chad at On3 in the first place.
+1..
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 776
I just ordered a MagnumPerformance Turbo, 67mm, .68ar. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:06 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.