Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Illinois
Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos

All,

I'm considering "upgrading"my turbo already. Looking at many brands but wondered what people think of Magnum Turbos. I guess they are made in brazil like the Master Power turbos and have identical compressor maps to equivalent sized old model Garretts. Thoughts?
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Thoughts on Magnum Performance Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz View Post
All,

I'm considering "upgrading"my turbo already. Looking at many brands but wondered what people think of Magnum Turbos. I guess they are made in brazil like the Master Power turbos and have identical compressor maps to equivalent sized old model Garretts. Thoughts?
I don't really know Jay.
Having never heard of them, I don't really have an opinion yet.

Do a Google Search for Magnum Turbocharger Reviews and see what that turns up.

I will say that most Turbos I have seen, heard or read about that give problems and fail frequently are almost exclusively "Made In China", so maybe those are ok or at least of decent quality.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Yeah, I would agree. The turbo company is very new. I have only found a couple of reviews and those are favorable. I might give it a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
the boost addiction has set in! its only a matter of time before the boss 302 block is on order.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Haha, that's for sure! I'm still going to run 8-9lbs but just with a more efficient, better quality turbo.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Road Trip!

just a thought you may want to wait till yours takes a poop before you swap. because you probably wont see to much more gains, mybe a little than yours now at the same psi. but what you might see is less lag. but the downfall is also gonna be that its possile you might need to retune. but i could be wrong.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Mine did poop, twice. I just took the cheap china turbo from On3 I never upgraded so they have the potential to not last long I'm told. They didn't blow up or anything but they began to eat the housing away. Anyway no retune needed since I will be staying at the same boost level. The better turbo wont make a big enough difference to require a re-tune.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz
Mine did poop, twice. I just took the cheap china turbo from On3 I never upgraded so they have the potential to not last long I'm told. They didn't blow up or anything but they began to eat the housing away. Anyway no retune needed since I will be staying at the same boost level. The better turbo wont make a big enough difference to require a re-tune.
well played. may as well upgrade now then.

the only reason i was worried about retune was if the better quality turbo spooled faster(which it maynot idk) then it may need different timing and fuel parameters through the lower rpm range. but like i said thats just me thinking and not knowing.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
well played. may as well upgrade now then.

the only reason i was worried about retune was if the better quality turbo spooled faster(which it maynot idk) then it may need different timing and fuel parameters through the lower rpm range. but like i said thats just me thinking and not knowing.
Yeah, makes sense. My tuner told me as long as I stay within specs and boost levels of the original turbo that I'm fine.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah, makes sense. My tuner told me as long as I stay within specs and boost levels of the original turbo that I'm fine.
well he probably knows better than i do. i just trying to look out for ya.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
well he probably knows better than i do. i just trying to look out for ya.
Oh no worries, I appreciate all advice and opinoins. This time around though I'm doing my research instead of being the test dummy
Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:

Oh no worries, I appreciate all advice and opinoins. This time around though I'm doing my research instead of being the test dummy
but you were a great test dummy and lots of people here learned from you. of course make sure you keep us updated.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
but you were a great test dummy and lots of people here learned from you. of course make sure you keep us updated.
Haha, happy to help. I will keep everyone posted. I have done research and it turns out that many people have zer life expectancy for the 70mm turbo that comes with the kit. That being said many people get by just fine, go figure. Personally I have found little complaint about failures from all the name brand turbos, and many of them have 1 year warranties where the On3 one has only 30 days.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:

Haha, happy to help. I will keep everyone posted. I have done research and it turns out that many people have zer life expectancy for the 70mm turbo that comes with the kit. That being said many people get by just fine, go figure. Personally I have found little complaint about failures from all the name brand turbos, and many of them have 1 year warranties where the On3 one has only 30 days.
some people actually buy the really cheap turbo kits off ebay. but mostly for the kit itself. then when the turbos burn p they upgrade them. kinda l,e what ou are doing. im sure your still kicking yourself for not upgrading. live and learn though.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
some people actually buy the really cheap turbo kits off ebay. but mostly for the kit itself. then when the turbos burn p they upgrade them. kinda l,e what ou are doing. im sure your still kicking yourself for not upgrading. live and learn though.
Yeah, I sould've purchased the upgraded turbo from Chad at On3 in the first place.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Yeah, I sould've purchased the upgraded turbo from Chad at On3 in the first place.
+1..
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Road Trip!

I just ordered a MagnumPerformance Turbo, 67mm, .68ar. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT