Intake Manifolds - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pearljammer311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 27
Intake Manifolds

Gentlemen (and the few ladies) I am sure this has been covered a thousand times but in the near future I will probably be getting a replacement for my stock intake manifold. Any suggestions? Currently running BBK shorty headers, o/r x-pipe, TB, CAI, with borla catback exhaust on my 95 GT. I don't plan on doing much more other than under drive pulleys and maybe a few slight things. I have been looking hard at the trick flow intake manifold for my make and model but I am sure you all know a lot more than me at the moment so any suggestions would be appreciated!
Pearljammer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake Manifolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearljammer311 View Post
Gentlemen (and the few ladies) I am sure this has been covered a thousand times but in the near future I will probably be getting a replacement for my stock intake manifold. Any suggestions? Currently running BBK shorty headers, o/r x-pipe, TB, CAI, with borla catback exhaust on my 95 GT. I don't plan on doing much more other than under drive pulleys and maybe a few slight things. I have been looking hard at the trick flow intake manifold for my make and model but I am sure you all know a lot more than me at the moment so any suggestions would be appreciated!
The Trick Flow would be a good choice.
As would a Cobra, Edelbrock, Holley or BBK depending on your mods now and future.


Personally, I would go with a Trick Flow Top End Kit if there was any way you could swing the cost.
They have one kit that makes around 360 HP which would give you a nice boost in power. Check it out.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 36
Re: Intake Manifolds

Running the Ford explorer intake is the budget way to go. Cost you about $40 at my local Junk Yard for the upper and lower. They are Gt-40 intakes.

Just gasket match it with a dremil, or be proactive and do a little port work. Not like you paid alot for it...

I wouldn't say they are the best intake of all time, but will flow more than a lightly modified mustang needs. Even with a good set of heads they would be fine
vt89gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Iluvmy5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt89gtvert
Running the Ford explorer intake is the budget way to go. Cost you about $40 at my local Junk Yard for the upper and lower. They are Gt-40 intakes.

Just gasket match it with a dremil, or be proactive and do a little port work. Not like you paid alot for it...

I wouldn't say they are the best intake of all time, but will flow more than a lightly modified mustang needs. Even with a good set of heads they would be fine
What year explorers?
Iluvmy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
96-01
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Iluvmy5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 110
Thanks! I'll check my local junk yard and see what I come up with
Iluvmy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 79
Re: Intake Manifolds

i wanted the cobra intake then they were on back order till april,now they are on back order till august. im just waiting to do my intake when i do the whole top end.my lower is starting to seap oil but im not pulling it for that.
Nicolosi11480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pearljammer311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The Trick Flow would be a good choice.
As would a Cobra, Edelbrock, Holley or BBK depending on your mods now and future.

Personally, I would go with a Trick Flow Top End Kit if there was any way you could swing the cost.
They have one kit that makes around 360 HP which would give you a nice boost in power. Check it out.
Ive seen this and it is amazing. I can get away with a ton but throwing that much down would probably have me marked for death by my somewhat better half lol. I will buy some more napkins to clean the drool of my phone though! Btw TH I got those headers and x pipes and wow!
Pearljammer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake Manifolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearljammer311 View Post
Ive seen this and it is amazing. I can get away with a ton but throwing that much down would probably have me marked for death by my somewhat better half lol. I will buy some more napkins to clean the drool of my phone though! Btw TH I got those headers and x pipes and wow!
Glad you got them and like them.
P.S. For those big purchases you have to sneak a few dollars when you can and save up for them. Then be sure to have them shipped to your work or a friend's house so you don't get caught.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Iluvmy5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Glad you got them and like them.
P.S. For those big purchases you have to sneak a few dollars when you can and save up for them. Then be sure to have them shipped to your work or a friend's house so you don't get caught.
I was just talking about this exact thing in the "chips" thread! That is exactly what I do. I have a savings account at a local bank here. If I do a side job or sell something on Craigslist I put the cash in there along with my standard allotment of 20 dollars out of check. Then when I buy something I have it sent to work. It's crazy but my 3 to 4 purchases per year are usually worth it!
Iluvmy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake Manifolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmy5.0 View Post
I was just talking about this exact thing in the "chips" thread! That is exactly what I do. I have a savings account at a local bank here. If I do a side job or sell something on Craigslist I put the cash in there along with my standard allotment of 20 dollars out of check. Then when I buy something I have it sent to work. It's crazy but my 3 to 4 purchases per year are usually worth it!
Yep, keeps the peace on the home front and you get your modding fix too.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Iluvmy5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 110
Exactly! Best play it safe
Iluvmy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pearljammer311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 27
U know my wife is responsible for all of this since she totaled my car when it was all stock. Bought it back for $100 from insurance and since then I haven't looked back. She doesn't care what I buy but now she's wanting a new car since she's had the same ol thing forever. Want her to get a stang of course!
Pearljammer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Iluvmy5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 110
Excellent choice!
Iluvmy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pearljammer311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmy5.0
Excellent choice!
Damn right but she wants a eclipse. Starting to turn her towards the good side
Pearljammer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Iluvmy5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 110
My sister had an eclipse! What a headache that thing was. Now she has an f150. I personally don't have a problem with that since I have an f250 as a daily driver.
Iluvmy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jbeas50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: California
Posts: 72
So the explorers gt -40 heads is it a good idea to do if you don't have a lot of money?
Jbeas50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeas50
So the explorers gt -40 heads is it a good idea to do if you don't have a lot of money?
yes. someone will correct me but 96-97 1/2 are gt40 and 97 1/2 - 01 are gt40p
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jbeas50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: California
Posts: 72
Which one is better to get on a all take 5.0

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Stock***

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

And I ment intake instead of heads or is that the same lol I'm a beginner
Jbeas50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeas50
Which one is better to get on a all take 5.0

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Stock***

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

And I ment intake instead of heads or is that the same lol I'm a beginner
Honestly depends on if you want to keep your egr system. The models with gt 40 heads had the provision for the egr and gt40p had an external egr system which the foxs can't use
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pearljammer311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 27
Re: Intake Manifolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmy5.0 View Post
My sister had an eclipse! What a headache that thing was. Now she has an f150. I personally don't have a problem with that since I have an f250 as a daily driver.
I saw the newer ones have not had as many problems up until the 07s but I would much rather her get a stang. We are kind of in a funny position because we are looking to possibly sell our house (which we will make a good deal on because of my job), look for a new home, have child, and get a car. A lot going on at once. CAR IS NUMERO UNO!. I've pulled up so many mustangs to talk her into it is becoming a daily thing. She loves the 99-04 body style but insists that she wants "newer" car. Oh the things I would do to a new mustang(and of course my wife if she finally came to her senses)
Pearljammer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Iluvmy5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 110
Be persistent! I think if you just engrain it into her head it will be the only thing she sees after awhile! Subliminal messages, talk to her in her sleep about it. Take her to a hypnotist. You will get her!
Iluvmy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pearljammer311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 27
Re: Intake Manifolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmy5.0 View Post
Be persistent! I think if you just engrain it into her head it will be the only thing she sees after awhile! Subliminal messages, talk to her in her sleep about it. Take her to a hypnotist. You will get her!
i've just been doing the small things. Leaving stangs for sale up on the computer, forgetting newspaper clippings, pointing out all the mods we can do, threatening her for her life....nothing too serious...
Pearljammer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:33 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.