gear choice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
gear choice

Ok 5spd 302 as far as know only headers, not sure on gears. Going 45 or so which gear do you use 4th at around 2k or 5th at around maybe 1300. Also just got new clutch and used t5 put in I was kinda ignorant one of first times towed driver said had short throw in it. I said really cool...mech didn't switch over shifters said was same ad his. It seems to be, I'm still in the babying breaking in process, but 2nd seems more over and down. mine seemed more straight down and I'm actually kinda scared everytime put in 5th because seems like barely push shifter forward my old one seemed to push a bit further. I'm sure mine was probably worn and had slop. Just nervous to let go of clutch. I haven't had any problems other than newbie manual driver lol. Clutch catches much quicker
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Sounds like you have 2.73 gears installed. Not very performance oriented at all.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Sounds like 3.27s... That's about what my '04 V6 sits at. Eh, might as well contribute.

If I'm really trying to conserve gas or cruise, I use 5th at around 1300-1400rpm. If I want it to be responsive or driving through traffic, I normally use 4th... Sometimes if I'm really bored I sit in 3rd, mostly for weaving through traffic though. And no, I'm not one of those ******bag teens that cuts you off trying to fit into tiny spaces.. I make sure there's plenty of room and I don't safely..
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: gear choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
Sounds like 3.27s... That's about what my '04 V6 sits at. Eh, might as well contribute.

If I'm really trying to conserve gas or cruise, I use 5th at around 1300-1400rpm. If I want it to be responsive or driving through traffic, I normally use 4th... Sometimes if I'm really bored I sit in 3rd, mostly for weaving through traffic though. And no, I'm not one of those ******bag teens that cuts you off trying to fit into tiny spaces.. I make sure there's plenty of room and I don't safely..
I dont think 3.27's were offered untill later. could be 3.08s but the easiest to check would be the tag on the diff. If thats not there then you can lift the back end up on stands, the spin the wheel one revolution and count how many times the driveshaft spins. it will give you a guestimit.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

You are probably right. Forgot he said 4th, mine rides 2k at 45 in 3rd gear with 2.73 gears.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

You are probably right. Forgot he said 4th, mine rides 2k at 45 in 3rd gear with 2.73 gears.
Maybe 3.08's
My guess is 2.73.
5th gear @ 80mph should be 2k if 2.73's if I remember correctly.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I was more wondering on the I barely move shifter forward to put in 5th part. Also I guess now I'm more paranoid and pissed about..
I've had back less than week, everything seems fine but sometimes when nearing destination I smell hot trans fluid. When I shut down I see some smoke come out bezel, mines ripped or whatever can peel back and see outside, look under car smoke coming off exhaust. At first thought nothing of it gets hot and burns off what's on it. Today though smell it see it look under car and see bubble coming off driveshaft where connects to tranny. I rubbed it and was tranny fluid, then rubbed the black whatever it is grommet what not and seemed like it was oil. Frankly I'm scared ****less. I was all geeked and thought this thing was finally buttoning up and I could start cosmetics now....havent seen leaks is it normal to have some seepage coming out of there? Were talking a bubble drip but I don't want it to become a hemorrhage. Also more paranoid could oil be getting in trans and how? A psychostick song comes to mind. This thing is burying me alive. I make crap for money and it wants it all. Gears ill investigate or change later to prob 373. By no means trying to make this a show car, just a reliable dd I can open up every now and then. Thanks for the help. As I said I've been geeked now I'm scared.

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 AM ----------

As far as spinning the wheel thing how revolutions should I get for what gears?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I'm not sure what is causing it. But that much heat on the trans is a bad thing.
If u do have a short throw it may be possible that the stops are not adjustable back far enough to fully engage 5th gear.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

For the gears . 3.27= about 3 1/4[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Smoke is coming from exhaust not trans from burning whatever off. Some this has to do with paranoia because of what put into and thought I was almost there mechanically speaking.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Also I have been doing a lot of shifting. Read somewhere to break in a clutch should do a lot of up and down shifts. So I have been upshifts before, well usually, 3k
Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok got back from 1st job. Prob 20 miles 1 way. Construction, traffic, crawling in 1st bit. Didn't seem to have prob. Stop at home smell hot trans fluid a little looked under. To me looks to be dripping from where driveshaft connects to trans down onto exhaust. That's why smells hot burning off exhaust. It is possible just sweating and I'm paranoid? Or where is rear main seal, they changed that as well?
Hard to put in 1st few tines. Oil light on, not low, change not needed

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT