wiring idea question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
wiring idea question

Well as I've posted before my tail lights don't work and my friend gave me the idea to wire up a whole separate lights for it. I'm not exactly sure how to do it but I had somewhat of an idea. Not good withh car wiring so lemme know if it'll work or not and and ideas

I was thinking about running a fuse with those wires tapped off it up to a toggle switch id put on my dash and run the wire back to and twist it with two wires which will go to the two tail lights.

I'm not sure if it'll work but lemme know if it should work and if not any ideas
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: wiring idea question

For what its worth you would be better off wiring a relay off your headlights. Use the power going to the headlights as a signal for a relay to open and send power to your tail lights.

I'm sure if you google how to wire a relay you can find directions that would get you through the process, but it is just 4 wires

One as a ground for the fuse
One is power coming in
One is power going to the lights
And the fourth the is signal for the relay to turn on

It could easily be completed in 30ish minutes by someone who knows what they are doing. Just need use wire big enough to handle the wattage over the distance to the rear of the car. For this use the chart at the bottom of this link

GlassWolf's Pages
vt89gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post
Well as I've posted before my tail lights don't work and my friend gave me the idea to wire up a whole separate lights for it. I'm not exactly sure how to do it but I had somewhat of an idea. Not good withh car wiring so lemme know if it'll work or not and and ideas

I was thinking about running a fuse with those wires tapped off it up to a toggle switch id put on my dash and run the wire back to and twist it with two wires which will go to the two tail lights.

I'm not sure if it'll work but lemme know if it should work and if not any ideas
One word - Don't.

I have seen so many vehicles with hacked up wiring that it just makes me sick to think about it especially on a Mustang.

Use the diagrams in your Chilton's or Haynes manual to trace out the wiring and figure out what is wrong. Study, read and ask questions until you understand how the system works.
Check and/or replace as needed the fuses, breakers, fusible links, flashers, switches or relays in the system.

Trying to bypass the system will only lead to a cobbled up mess and detract from the value of a car. Take your time, learn how it works and how to test it. Then repair it and be on your way knowing you did a good job and did it correctly.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

One word - Don't.

I have seen so many vehicles with hacked up wiring that it just makes me sick to think about it especially on a Mustang.

Use the diagrams in your Chilton's or Haynes manual to trace out the wiring and figure out what is wrong. Study, read and ask questions until you understand how the system works.
Check and/or replace as needed the fuses, breakers, fusible links, flashers, switches or relays in the system.

Trying to bypass the system will only lead to a cobbled up mess and detract from the value of a car. Take your time, learn how it works and how to test it. Then repair it and be on your way knowing you did a good job and did it correctly.
+100

Just use a volt meter and check every single wire. It you use the continuity setting and put the black lead to ground and touch the red lead on each wire. If you get something on the meter, most will make a beeping sound. Then that wire is shorted to ground. Also use the black lead to each wire, 1 at a time and touch all the others. This will tell you if wires are shorted together. Oh and do this test with the batterey disconected.

One common problem in these cars is the headlight switch going bad. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the wiring for the tail lights goes through that switch. So check and or replace the headlight switch and check the taillight wires for shorts.

I know this sounds intimidating but its really not to bad. If you don't mind just spending a few dollars at least try replacing the switch before you give up. Electrical bugs can be a real pita to find but 9 Times out of 10 it ends up being a pretty easy fix once the problem is located.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

thanks for the input im not gonna do it but where can i get a chiltons manual? i think i asked this before in a thread but i dont remember i have the money now so ill get one asap. do they have em just on ebay or certain places

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

and the only thing im worried about is the wiring not being how it should be bc i the owner that put most of the work into the car messed with alot of it when he put the fuel pump in and went carbed i should have looked into the car more before i bought it but i didnt know what to look for but its too late now so i gotta figure it out one way or another

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

and i found em on ebay so im buying one tonight
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody
thanks for the input im not gonna do it but where can i get a chiltons manual? i think i asked this before in a thread but i dont remember i have the money now so ill get one asap. do they have em just on ebay or certain places

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

and the only thing im worried about is the wiring not being how it should be bc i the owner that put most of the work into the car messed with alot of it when he put the fuel pump in and went carbed i should have looked into the car more before i bought it but i didnt know what to look for but its too late now so i gotta figure it out one way or another

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

and i found em on ebay so im buying one tonight
They also have Chiltons and Haynes books at Autozone, O'Reilly Auto parts, Pep Boys, Nationwise, etc. Should be under $20

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT