Mustang Evolution Forum banner

xpipe... cats, no cats, *scratches head*

5K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  walexelect 
#1 ·
Hey everyone... I am looking to get the last piece of my exhaust bought so that I can get it installed, and am running into some trouble trying to find something that I think I might like. My car is pretty much stock, save for gears, so any input you guys might have would certainly help, im sure.

Here is what I have so far:
Magnaflow catback 15630
Bassani Equal Length Ceramic Coated Headers

The last piece of the puzzle is the X pipe... I want a bassani, but have recently heard that the O/R ones will actually cause a loss in Torque, which my car needs as much as any of them - Is this true? Would it be better for me to get one with cats? I've also found one for a 94-95 car - will it fit mine?

Ive also considered the UPR piece, but am somewhat skeptical of them, with worries about build/fit quality. If anyone has one, please let me know what you think of it!

I've looked at the BBK, but it really looks too much like an H... Im afraid that it will sound like it too. No offense to anyone, just my thoughts.

Lastly, Im looking for a used piece, because price is a concern. Any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Michael

P.S.: I do not live in an emissions-regulated state, so the decision on cats is based purely on performance/sound, if that makes sense.

See less See more
#3 ·
I know my 4v mod motor is different...but you heard the bassani catted x on it. I don't think I could stand an o/r x.

#4 ·
High flow cats vs non high flow cats... not a huge difference there, maybe 20% less loud~ I know I would have to have high flow as my damn car is to loud sometimes as it is to me.

#8 ·
lets see:

cats or no cats?
Legal or not Legal?
Quiet or Loud?

cats or high flow cats will help mellow out the actual loudness factor while not necessarily hurting the tone. catless will obviously be alot louder and a more defined tone.

you make the decision..........

#10 ·
Yeh, but the last thing he needs is the added attention from a loud car lol. He doesn't have the best history with the local law enforcement.

#12 ·
They can't bust what they can't catch/see!

I agree with bunt, no cats on a 5.0 unless required by law. They just sound better.
im pretty sure removing any emissions equipment is a offense in any state; however some states don't care as much as others. the lack of actual emissions testing doesn't mean that removing stock emissions equipment is legal, unless the vehicle in question is exempt (in Cali this means cars/trucks '75 and older can legally do away with any emissions equipment, probably different for other states).

#14 ·
oh wow... sorry that I never got back to you guys - been busy with school and everything, and havent been able to check back. I went with a catted X, just because I got it cheap, and so far everything has gone well. Will finish up early tom morning, and i'll see what I can do to get you guys a small sound clip. If I dont like the sound with the cats in, I'll just put in some test pipes.

Mercedez L, thats a crazy ass price to pay.. You could have bought another mid-pipe altogether nearly. Watch your car carefully too - I've heard some bad things about those bosch plugs... I run motorcrafts in the mustang, and NGK's in the corolla, and have never had any trouble with them.

#15 ·
I had Autolites 25 (Same as Motorcraft Plugs) that were only 8,000 miles old but the place doing the smog testing wanted to put in new plugs and the choices were either Bosch Platnums or those Iridium plugs for $28.00 a piece:eek::wtf2:
What have you heard bad about Bosch Platnums?:confused:

#17 ·
Ive seen them ran in mustangs before, and they actually runworse than before the plug change. Platinum plugs are a ripoff to begin with - they are only used for extended change intervals, which is usually done in cars that are hard to change plugs in.

Unless you have some kinda crazy headers that dont allow you to get them out, theres no reason that a $1.70 autolite or motorcraft wont do the trick - a copper plug will also stand up better in FI situations as well, as the plats are easily blown out. There are also more options when it comes to the standard (copper) plugs as far as heat ranges.

MonteCitan, its too late, lol - Ive got it all on the car now, just gonna do the final touches, and go from there. I went with an x for more reasons than any kind of power gains - I like the way they sound with this catback, as well as every fox around here that I know of runs an H, and I wanted something different, that would be quieter at idle as well.

My car, with the E/L headers, catted X, and the magnaflow system is almost whisper quiet at Idle, and at least so far, is only loud when you really mash on it. Call me a pansy, or whatever - I get sick of having to shut my car off at drive thru windows, as well as having to talk over the car just sitting still.

Maybe not tonight, but tomorrow if its pretty, I'll see if i can get a clip up!

#19 ·
No cats.I use a Pypes off road X-Pipe and the sound is great.I use warlock muflers with mine.Here in Oklahoma,there are no smog laws or vehicle safety checks.They did away with those a few years ago,and just raised the price of our driver's liscence.I'm good with that.

#24 ·
MS has emissions laws....just part of the law says they cannot be enforced lol. I had an o/r setup on the old car but I don't think I could take it on this one. You already can't think.

#25 ·
:banghead: I'm in smog Nazi cali with my 98GT with 6 cats and violator mufflers. I want to run O/R X pipes on straight pipes (cut the cats off) with the violators, but here it's illegal. I obviously would have to weld them back in for smog check time .. I might even get the O/R setup with high/flow cats until smog time..will the pipes come with a hole for the O2 sensor or will I have to make one myself?

Cheers,
IPC :cool:

#28 ·
:eek:

Yeah the h/x pipe will come with O2 sensor bungs & the air tube for the smog pump.
The stock hpipe came with 4 cats.The first two are reduction catalyst & the second two are oxidation catalyst.
Aftermarket pipes only come with 2 cats.The reduction & oxidation catalyst are built into one housing,unlike the 4 cat design.

A proper functioning smog pump is still needed with these aftermarket cats.The extra air provided by the Thermactor System (smog pump) is essential for the oxidation process.It oxidizes the added HC from oil consumption and poor tune and keeps the HC levels within acceptable limits.
If youre curious about the routing of smog pump air,it sends air to the cylinder heads during warmup mode only(through that metal pipe on the rear side of both heads) After the engine reaches operating temp,it sends air to the catalytic converters (through that metal pipe that runs from the diverter valve to the hpipe)

If an offroad h/xpipe is used,all of the smog system parts can be removed because they are no longer serving a purpose.You dont wanna send smog pump air to the hpipe now that the converters are gone.The extra air might get measured by the o2 sensors,which could cause a o2 sensor lean code.

A shorter serpentine belt can be used if the smog pump has been removed.Theres no need to buy a smog pump delete pulley.

Reactions: 98 GT
#27 ·
It is really up to you whether you want to make noise, pass smog test or fly under the radar. Not sure I could drive my car everyday the way it is set up and traffic and all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.