custom strut tower brace - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
custom strut tower brace

Anybody ever make their own strut tower brace?
fordracing63857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
i was gonna and never got around to it.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Im gonna try with using my old one and figuring out how to bend the piping
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: custom strut tower brace

If you're going to do it, might wanna use tube not pipe. There is a difference.

It is definatly possible, but with how low the costs are on ones from reputable manuf, why would you bother. Unless you know how to weld and have access to a welder it would not be worth the cost. It just doesn't make sense to me unless you need something custom.

I have a welder and access to a tube bender. For $110 a BBK brace that has already been powdercoated just makes more sense.
vt89gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

I've made a couple. If you have a well equipped shop with some type of tube bender, some way to cut and drill the metal and a welder to stick it all together it is relatively easy to do.Having such equipment and tubing available makes projects like this cheaper for me than buying them no matter how cheaply they can be had. Plus I get the satisfaction of having done it myself.

I have purchased one and it didn't fit properly, which led me into fabricating the first one I ever did.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt89gtvert
If you're going to do it, might wanna use tube not pipe. There is a difference.

It is definatly possible, but with how low the costs are on ones from reputable manuf, why would you bother. Unless you know how to weld and have access to a welder it would not be worth the cost. It just doesn't make sense to me unless you need something custom.

I have a welder and access to a tube bender. For $110 a BBK brace that has already been powdercoated just makes more sense.
O I know that , the one I need is only $130 but I like messing around like that for a couple bucks!!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
I've made a couple. If you have a well equipped shop with some type of tube bender, some way to cut and drill the metal and a welder to stick it all together it is relatively easy to do.Having such equipment and tubing available makes projects like this cheaper for me than buying them no matter how cheaply they can be had. Plus I get the satisfaction of having done it myself.

I have purchased one and it didn't fit properly, which led me into fabricating the first one I ever did.
+1 guys like us build alot of parts that can be had cheaply for the reasons you say. plus the fact our parts are sometimes better and no one else has them.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94

O I know that , the one I need is only $130 but I like messing around like that for a couple bucks!!
+ 1 me to
Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
+1 guys like us build alot of parts that can be had cheaply for the reasons you say. plus the fact our parts are sometimes better and no one else has them.
YUP!

I love designing and fabricating. I will be so happy when I am able to return to the garage and get back into it again, that you all may not hear from me for quite some time.

Wait till you see the 8.8 rear end I'm planning to build. It may look like a metal worker's nightmare when finished, but I bet my rear end tubes stay where they are supposed to be and my center section doesn't break when I drop the hammer on it after the SC installation and tuning.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

YUP!

I love designing and fabricating. I will be so happy when I am able to return to the garage and get back into it again, that you all may not hear from me for quite some time.

Wait till you see the 8.8 rear end I'm planning to build. It may look like a metal worker's nightmare when finished, but I bet my rear end tubes stay where they are supposed to be and my center section doesn't break when I drop the hammer on it after the SC installation and tuning.
I know. When you finally are able to get back at it, we are gonna miss you on here. But I am dying to see pics and 1/4 numbers and all that so it will be worth it.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

To the op

What I was gonna do is make all the bolted plates and bolt them up. Then piece the tubing in and tac weld them in place so they all line up nice. Then take them off to weld. Make sure you are careful when welding under the hood though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT