Leaking Coolant - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Leaking Coolant

As the title states, my fox just started leaking coolant today. I lost about 10% of total fluid in the rad so far only driving about 20 miles. Its not coming from any hoses or the water pump (the pump is reletively new). The leak seems to be coming from this hole in my firewall (that black cylinder is part of the A/C to give you an idea of where the hole is). Anyone know what its purpose is and the best way to go about fixing it? I was thinking about plugging it up somehow, not too sure the best way to go about that though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2476470196.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	50492
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

This is a pic of where the coolant ended up on the ground. Pretty sure I can rule out Rad, Hoses, and Pump eh?

Name:	image-3013859558.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	50493
Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
My phone connection is slow so at were I am at so I can't see the pics. But if its coming out of the firewall its probably your heater core. You can bypass it if you want but you may not get any heat. Just look were the 2 hoses go and hook those 2 locations together.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Update: Just felt up on my hoses and their is no fluid in either top nor bottom...even after running the car (fluid is 9/10th full). Possibly the new-ish water pump went bad?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
I agree it sounds and looks like It's coming from your heater core. Only way to fix it is replace it and you should be able to either plug the two hoses that lead to it or possibly take one off and connect the one remaining connected to where the hose you took off was located on the engine effectively bypassing the heater core. I personally did the second with my 1980 power wagon when It's heater core went out I felt it was safer and more secure.
jacob.a.gasparp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would be willing to try the bypass. Any idea where those two hoses are located on the firewall? I dont have my manual with me atm. Also, left it running at idle for a little bit. The pump didnt seem to move any fluid at all; at least it didnt before coolant started flowing out of that hole. :/
Old 05-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Did you check your thermostat also. The heater core hoses are above the passenger side header area. Make sure your pump is for the right year. After a certain year they changed the rotation.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The thermo and pump were changed at the same time (about 5k miles ago) by a shop. I honestly dont know which one/s they put in. Ill have to give them a call later. Thanks for the help so far guys
Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Road Trip!

If it worked for 5k miles I'm sure its the right one.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Also check the passenger side floorboard under the dash. Sometimes when the heater core goes out the carpet will get wet.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Just checked the carpet...its completely dry. No coolant leaks into the cabin as far as I can tell (even pulled the carpet back a bit to double check). Was contemplating driving it home, but now my trunk wont shut. Ugh...one of those days
Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Can't see pics, but maybe timing plate is leaking...I just got all my coolant leaks fixed 1 after another. I've replaced rad, wp, hoses, tstat. If your caepet is not wet, nor is mine possible timing plate spraying and ending up wherever. I think my mechanic just filed area down a little and put some kind of paint around it. No leaks now. Sounds like you've done those things as well, so maybe check timing plate before jumping to hc.
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, never heard of that before but Ill look into it. Its definetely not spraying out at random tho, its all pouring out of a hole in my firewall directly above the passenger side header (to the bottom/right of the Black Cylinder...its some A/C component). It looks like it used to be plugged, but I cant tell for sure. I have no idea what that hole is for either.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
As some others said, it's your heater core. It shares the same housing as the a/c evaporator core. The hole is to evacuate the condensation and coolant in the event of a bad heater core. I would definitely bypass it until you can change it.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Oh and it was never plugged up, that would cause it to overflow into your car.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome! I thought that hole was for the A/C to dump consensation; didnt even think of it being shared with the heater core. So I only have to disconnect the two hoses going to the core and put them together somehow? Do I need a fitting of some sort in order to connect them together?

Name:	image-1371658704.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	514.9 KB
ID:	50517

Those two hoses right??
Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Yep, those are the hoses. I got a fitting from work to bypass mine until I changed it. Can't remember size though.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT