460? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
460?

Is it possible to drop a 460 in a 89 mustang,because I have a bran new rebuilt 460 with a cam....I would need new racing mounts and maybe a tranny too but what do u guys think??

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Like I said I'm building a new stang and want one for the track...
89 5.0 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 5.0 stang
Is it possible to drop a 460 in a 89 mustang,because I have a bran new rebuilt 460 with a cam....I would need new racing mounts and maybe a tranny too but what do u guys think??
Wanna sale it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Road Trip!

I don't know the specifics. But I think its a pretty straight forward swap. With the right motor mounts it should bolt right in. And I believe you can even get a tranny crossmember that will hold up the c6 properly.

What you need to worry about are the brakes. Your front end will be heavier and maybe nose dive more while stopping. I would upgrade the brake system. It may help to drop any other weight in the front also. Like battery relocate, fiberglass hood etc.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I don't know the specifics. But I think its a pretty straight forward swap. With the right motor mounts it should bolt right in. And I believe you can even get a tranny crossmember that will hold up the c6 properly.

What you need to worry about are the brakes. Your front end will be heavier and maybe nose dive more while stopping. I would upgrade the brake system. It may help to drop any other weight in the front also. Like battery relocate, fiberglass hood etc.
My batterie is already in the back ....but I will need new suspension kit...I'm going to bore it out and slap a 671 blower on it...my dad keeps telling me to not be a ***** and step it up to the big bpys.. lol
Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:

My batterie is already in the back ....but I will need new suspension kit...I'm going to bore it out and slap a 671 blower on it...my dad keeps telling me to not be a ***** and step it up to the big bpys.. lol
stopppp! you are gonna make me wet my pants! lol blown big block in a foxbody is gonna be sick!

i think you can bore a 460 pretty far.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
There are kits that you can buy that will have all the main hardware required for a 460 swap into a fox. A 460 looks so mean sittin between the shock towers.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief
There are kits that you can buy that will have all the main hardware required for a 460 swap into a fox. A 460 looks so mean sittin between the shock towers.
Yup that's what my dad said...I won't pass smog if I want a fun night though... ...o well
Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
theres a 545 blown fox on youtube i cant link it atm but its awesome.
351mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Lol my dad says the same **** to me
bad_little_pwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 460?

They are pretty cool for a drag car, BUT they will turn an already front heavy car into an ill handling beast. Plus getting the weight transfer you will need for traction is going to be difficult to say the least. UNLESS, you can afford an all aluminum block, heads etc..

I would go for a bored and stroked 351W. You can get the big block cubes (427 or more) without the excessive weight on the front. Up to 460 cubic inches are possible with an aftermarket block. That and a set of twin turbos and you will have a ride that you can drive a lot more comfortably and safely, that will develop scary HP. You will also be able to easily "de-tune" it for street driving if you want or need to.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
They are pretty cool for a drag car, BUT they will turn an already front heavy car into an ill handling beast. Plus getting the weight transfer you will need for traction is going to be difficult to say the least. UNLESS, you can afford an all aluminum block, heads etc..

I would go for a bored and stroked 351W. You can get the big block cubes (427 or more) without the excessive weight on the front. Up to 460 cubic inches are possible with an aftermarket block. That and a set of twin turbos and you will have a ride that you can drive a lot more comfortably and safely, that will develop scary HP. You will also be able to easily "de-tune" it for street driving if you want or need to.
i haved the handling issue to. but fog bracket delete, fiberglass hood, and battery relocate may help alot. especially if you go aluminum heads and all that.and im guessing he will go carb causeni dont thinkmthe stock setup efi would do it (could be wrong). but ac delete, smog delete, plus all the extra efi stuff will be good weight decrease also. after all thats done you may be getting back close to front weight. i agree the 351 with twins is sick. but man wouldnt a blown big block be bad a$$ to?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
i haved the handling issue to. but fog bracket delete, fiberglass hood, and battery relocate may help alot. especially if you go aluminum heads and all that.and im guessing he will go carb causeni dont thinkmthe stock setup efi would do it (could be wrong). but ac delete, smog delete, plus all the extra efi stuff will be good weight decrease also. after all thats done you may be getting back close to front weight. i agree the 351 with twins is sick. but man wouldnt a blown big block be bad a$$ to?
Yeah it would. Hmmm, I still have several left over........
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Road Trip!

i looove a twin setup. but there is just something about a big roots blower that gets my blood flowing. especially on a big block. hell, on that size motor may as well not mess around and get an 8:71 instead.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
i looove a twin setup. but there is just something about a big roots blower that gets my blood flowing. especially on a big block. hell, on that size motor may as well not mess around and get an 8:71 instead.
Yeah, but the "major wood" they cause could lead to injuries.
Especially if in your excitement you grab the wrong stick shift and slam it into the next gear!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:

Especially if in your excitement you grab the wrong stick shift and slam it into the next gear!
you bring up a good point. at least no special erection drugs will be required for the sex life. lmao
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Lmao
bad_little_pwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you bring up a good point. at least no special erection drugs will be required for the sex life. lmao
Talk about a 4hr hard on.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

Talk about a 4hr hard on.
if it lasts more than 4 hours then consult a doctor.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

if it lasts more than 4 hours then consult a doctor.
Doctor? I'm calling every hoor I know.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

Doctor? I'm calling every hoor I know.
lmao. that should work to.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

They sell a 460swap kit for the foxbodys it even comes with lt headers. If I were you I would go with a tuby front suspension from aje and the the mounds for the bbf. Were are building one at my friends shop a 532 with a set of 88mm turbos. For the trans you'll need a c6 or a glide, I have seen a c4 equiped lx with a bbf and it didnt last long(dont know who does his trans work) but for the shops fox were are using a glide with a t-brake and nitrous to spool. for heads a set of SCJ would be more than enough. I would save the blower for later and just run a sweet nitrous set up v

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockish302
They sell a 460swap kit for the foxbodys it even comes with lt headers. If I were you I would go with a tuby front suspension from aje and the the mounds for the bbf. Were are building one at my friends shop a 532 with a set of 88mm turbos. For the trans you'll need a c6 or a glide, I have seen a c4 equiped lx with a bbf and it didnt last long(dont know who does his trans work) but for the shops fox were are using a glide with a t-brake and nitrous to spool. for heads a set of SCJ would be more than enough. I would save the blower for later and just run a sweet nitrous set up v
that sounds evil! i still say 8:71 but im sure twins with nitrous would make more power. like i said before there is just something about a roots blower. you have pics of this beast? i would love to check this out.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

that sounds evil! i still say 8:71 but im sure twins with nitrous would make more power. like i said before there is just something about a roots blower. you have pics of this beast? i would love to check this out.
The long block is being build at a friends machine shop, the only thing that I can get a picture of is the engine bay with the new front suspension, its going to take me a while since im out if the state for work for the next 3months with none of my stangs to play with but the companies denalis are fun I like turbos but a nice blown big block is not bad at all. I like the power delivery of the turbos and the lag helps the car get off the line easy and once the full power of the nitrous and the boost come in it gets interesting lol im stuck in washington for the next 3 months but when I get back to california back to project 7 and the best part of it all is that im getting my gt500 and a set of twins for it to the only reason im here is for the 15k bonus washington is hell of depresing.

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #24
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Sounds like I need in your line of work..
Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If I do drop the 460 in there it can't be aluminum. Im only 18 I don't have that kind of money to blow...yet lol...I like the 351w but I'm a bigger fan of 351c.just have either one bored out to a 427. That's more street and track car then I think.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 5.0 stang View Post
If I do drop the 460 in there it can't be aluminum. Im only 18 I don't have that kind of money to blow...yet lol...I like the 351w but I'm a bigger fan of 351c.just have either one bored out to a 427. That's more street and track car then I think.
I like the 351C too. I had the 4V model in a 73' Mach I and it was one of the hardest running engines I've owned.
The main issue with them is the oiling system, which requires some serious modifications for the engine to live at high RPM and high HP levels.
That and they are fairly scarce and hard to come by nowadays.

The 351W on the other hand is still easily available and it has tons more aftermarket parts available than the 351C. It can easily be turned into a large cube, high HP screamer.

I went through a phase where I was infatuated with the BBF and thus I had collected many engines and parts over the years. Sadly my luck in keeping them together was not good, likely my own fault and no shortcomings of the engines themselves. After the third engine took a dump on me I gave up, sold off all of my performance parts and went back to the SBF's. I do miss the prodigious amounts of torque the BBF's provided, but my luck with the SBF's has been much better with 0 failures to date.

P.S. I didn't have that kind of money to spend either at 18.
However, once I decided I wanted something bad enough, I would work extra jobs, nights and weekends to earn the money to "feed my need".
You can too if you want it bad enough.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I like the 351C too. I had the 4V model in a 73' Mach I and it was one of the hardest running engines I've owned.
The main issue with them is the oiling system, which requires some serious modifications for the engine to live at high RPM and high HP levels.
That and they are fairly scarce and hard to come by nowadays.

The 351W on the other hand is still easily available and it has tons more aftermarket parts available than the 351C. It can easily be turned into a large cube, high HP screamer.

I went through a phase where I was infatuated with the BBF and thus I had collected many engines and parts over the years. Sadly my luck in keeping them together was not good, likely my own fault and no shortcomings of the engines themselves. After the third engine took a dump on me I gave up, sold off all of my performance parts and went back to the SBF's. I do miss the prodigious amounts of torque the BBF's provided, but my luck with the SBF's has been much better with 0 failures to date.

P.S. I didn't have that kind of money to spend either at 18.
However, once I decided I wanted something bad enough, I would work extra jobs, nights and weekends to earn the money to "feed my need".
You can too if you want it bad enough.
Hell ya I want it...i will be working tomorrow maybe even Sunday too. Lol...I.think I'm going to stick to my street car right now thou.I need to put a s/c on it soon...but I like turbo too...ahhh such a hard decision because I would like to go down to the beach with a couple of friends on Friday and wast some tires lol.I just don't want toooo bad of gas mile. That's why I'm on the s/c side so untill I put my foot in it I won't be sucking down as much gas..
Old 05-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 5.0 stang View Post
Hell ya I want it...i will be working tomorrow maybe even Sunday too. Lol...I.think I'm going to stick to my street car right now thou.I need to put a s/c on it soon...but I like turbo too...ahhh such a hard decision because I would like to go down to the beach with a couple of friends on Friday and wast some tires lol.I just don't want toooo bad of gas mile. That's why I'm on the s/c side so untill I put my foot in it I won't be sucking down as much gas..
Set up properly a TC would really be the best way to go.
Look at the new ECO Boost engines and the mileage they are getting out of them.
Plus the TC is a little "easier" on the engine as it is driven by the exhaust and is not side loading the crankshaft or introducing unwanted harmonics into the engine from a belt drive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT