What to clean motor with? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #1

Region: Ohio
What to clean motor with?

Know this is kind of a dumb question, but what and how would you guys recommend cleaning my engine without pulling it? Like what type of cleaner and an easy way to do so. Any recommendations would be nice. Thanks !!
Foxbodystang91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Some carb cleaner.. De- greaser.. Hand spray bottle tooth brushes dry tags etc... And tons of elbow grease... Show us some before photos
Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Some carb cleaner.. De- greaser.. Hand spray bottle tooth brushes dry tags etc... And tons of elbow grease... Show us some before photos
Thanks! There's a car that I'm getting ready to pick up soon and the motor runs strong buts it's a little dirty and i have to have a good looking motor lol. I'll post some when I get it witch should be very soon I hope, just waiting on insurance ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbodystang91

Thanks! There's a car that I'm getting ready to pick up soon and the motor runs strong buts it's a little dirty and i have to have a good looking motor lol. I'll post some when I get it witch should be very soon I hope, just waiting on insurance ha
Once you degrease it, you could probably use a waterless car wash solution to keep it looking sharp. I haven't used any yet, so I can't rate it properly. I was thinking of picking up some at the local auto parts store this weekend to give it try - whatever brand they might have.

Anybody else out there used something like this to clean their engine and engine bay?

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Exterior..._p/wac_116.htm
Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Once you degrease it, you could probably use a waterless car wash solution to keep it looking sharp. I haven't used any yet, so I can't rate it properly. I was thinking of picking up some at the local auto parts store this weekend to give it try - whatever brand they might have.

Anybody else out there used something like this to clean their engine and engine bay?

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Exterior..._p/wac_116.htm
Yea that stuff looks like it would shine up the engine bay quite a bit. Cleaning up all the black rubber tubing with some type of cleaner would make it look sweet, the valve covers and the intake is what needs cleaned the worst, that's probably where that degreaser and carb cleaner would work great.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: What to clean motor with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Waterless Car Wash Exterior/Interior Quick Detail Spray No Wax
Yes, and most of it works pretty well.
The biggest issue is that most of those will attract dust to the rubber hoses and duct work, which that stuff says it will not, but that remains to be seen.

Be careful with the carb cleaner so you don't damage any painted surfaces or some plastics. It's better to spray it into a rag and use that to wipe down stubborn grease or stained spots.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes, and most of it works pretty well.
The biggest issue is that most of those will attract dust to the rubber hoses and duct work, which that stuff says it will not, but that remains to be seen.

Be careful with the carb cleaner so you don't damage any painted surfaces or some plastics. It's better to spray it into a rag and use that to wipe down stubborn grease or stained spots.
Yea that's true, on my old gt I tried hosing is down and got scarred that I was going to mess something electronically up. I covered the distributor and the alternator up with a plastic bag and tape but it was too scary lol. Is it okay to hose or power wash your engine and bay if you cover the distributor and alternator??
Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbodystang91 View Post
Yea that's true, on my old gt I tried hosing is down and got scarred that I was going to mess something electronically up. I covered the distributor and the alternator up with a plastic bag and tape but it was too scary lol. Is it okay to hose or power wash your engine and bay if you cover the distributor and alternator??
Not really. There are just too many electrical connections that could be shorted out if you forced water into them under pressure.
A gentle spray (like a rain shower) of hot water seems to work ok.
I have done that a few times with no adverse effects.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Not really. There are just too many electrical connections that could be shorted out if you forced water into them under pressure.
A gentle spray (like a rain shower) of hot water seems to work ok.
I have done that a few times with no adverse effects.
Okay, yea it never sounded safe because all the electronics and stuff. I'll just degrease everything, let it sit for a bit, and go to town with a tooth brush lol. thanks for the info man!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbodystang91 View Post
Okay, yea it never sounded safe because all the electronics and stuff. I'll just degrease everything, let it sit for a bit, and go to town with a tooth brush lol. thanks for the info man!
You're welcome and good luck.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Buy it at home depot, works great!
ZEP Industrial purple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1986440953.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	50951  
Jkgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I just did, I used some engine degreaser in a spray can, Gunk out I think was the name
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3898238281.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	540.4 KB
ID:	50953  

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgravy View Post
ZEP Industrial purple.
I don't know for sure, but if that stuff is a formulation of a cleaner that ZEP used to have called Morado, be careful as it could take paint off if it is.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol
I just did, I used some engine degreaser in a spray can, Gunk out I think was the name
Dang man, looks great!! I'm probably Going to go with the degreaser like you did, have an unlimited supply at work too lol

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgravy
ZEP Industrial purple.
I'll give that a try also, I'll just look out for the paint, thanks for the recommendation!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
steamer and a wet ragth then another with black magic tire protector spray
pepitochulo69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT